recordings end prematurely Star Trek

surfing69surfing69 Member Posts: 1
I have set the YV box to record the original Star Trek series on the Horror channel 70. However almost every recording ends about 1-2 mins prematurely or starts to late. I have also noticed that the programme appears to begin after 10am and finished after 11am which could explain this observation if the YV box is only using the clock for recording. However I was led to believe that programmes have start/stop codes embedded which the YV box should be responding to ????

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,024 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 September 2020, 2:15PM
    surfing69 said:
    I have set the YV box to record the original Star Trek series on the Horror channel 70. However almost every recording ends about 1-2 mins prematurely or starts to late. I have also noticed that the programme appears to begin after 10am and finished after 11am which could explain this observation if the YV box is only using the clock for recording. However I was led to believe that programmes have start/stop codes embedded which the YV box should be responding to ????
    @surfing69

To be exact, the provider of this channel should be adding the stop/start code between programmes, and this is the only thing the YouView box uses.

Channel providers are required to provide these codes, but not to make them accurate, so second-line channels like Horror just drive them off the clock, and not the actual start/stop times of the programmes, which they sloppily allow to drift away from the planned clock times.

The twin mysteries are why Freeview allow this, and why, given that they do, YouView persist in pretending that they don’t.

You should complain about this to the Horror channel, which may make them try harder to get the codes right.

You could also complain to Freeview and to YouView, as we have been doing for years, but you will be wasting your breath.

The workaround (which can admittedly be unsatisfactory if you have other recordings going on) is to record the programme after the one that cuts off, which you will find starts with the missing two minutes, since the stop/start event that cuts off your intended programme two minutes early is exactly the same stop/start event that starts the next recording.
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 498 ✭✭
    Alternatively get a different recorder that allows you to add padding at the beginning or end of recordings. Panasonic certainly allow this facility.

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,024 ✭✭✭

These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭