eBay Box

adamf77adamf77 Member Posts: 3
Hiya, I have a TV in bedroom and like YouView / freeview but with ability to record.

i dont have any youview subscription just Sky downstairs.

if i buy a 2nd hand box of ebay, will it work and allow recording epg etc ?

cheers for listening !

Comments

• adamf77adamf77 Member Posts: 3
    Oh, and also, what about the HD channels !? :)
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 611 ✭✭
    edited 7 September 2020, 1:59PM
    adamf77 said:
    Hiya, I have a TV in bedroom and like YouView / freeview but with ability to record.

i dont have any youview subscription just Sky downstairs.

if i buy a 2nd hand box of ebay, will it work and allow recording epg etc ?

cheers for listening !
    Welcome to the forum.
    The answer is "yes", the best models are T4000, T2000 & BT 2100 models . Don't purchase the older T1000 model, underpowered & problems with updates no longer supported. You don't need a subscription to receive standard channels inc. HD. 

"Maybe" - depends if the seller on EBay is honest & is selling one that works ok & not worn out! - Hard drives can become faulty. Best thing to do is check their feedback history, make sure you ask loads of questions, they have loads of detailed photos showing condition & age of Youview box. If unsure, walk away & keep looking. You could also purchase directly from CEX online/high street & they offer a  24 month warranty.  Worth checking.

And lastly "Yes" - HD channels can be tuned in as long as your aerial signal is ok.

Trust the info has helped you? John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 332
    Youview boxes are not 
    wifi enabled. 
    You will need powerline adapters if your router and youview box are not nearby. 
    From personal experience avoid the T4000 in the bedroom, it is noticeably louder then the 2000.
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • adamf77adamf77 Member Posts: 3
    great, cheers !