Humax Retail software update 32.46.10 / 3.7.2

SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,622 admin
edited 2 October 2020, 3:06PM in Announcements
Hi all, 

Please use this thread to discuss the most recent Humax Retail software update 32.46.10 / 3.7.2  for T2000 devices.

This is a maintenance release which contains some bug fixes and no new features.

Notable bug fixes resolved in this release are: 
  • An issue where a series recordings would not be cancelled when the original booking is cancelled with Stop Recording Series option in the guide
  • Pressing pause when fast-forwarding content does not pause
  • Being unable to toggle the mute button when trick-playing 
Thanks,
Sarah

Comments

• PaulJPaulJ Member Posts: 11
    I have recently received an update to the box DTRT2000 32.46.10 but the component software is 3.7.2(a85b0c) since this update the box will shut off by itself and after a wait of two minutes reboots itself. I have tried different HDMI Cables and sockets on the rear of the TV, nothing changes?
  • SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,622 admin
    edited 2 October 2020, 1:31PM
    PaulJ said:
    I have recently received an update to the box DTRT2000 32.46.10 but the component software is 3.7.2(a85b0c) since this update the box will shut off by itself and after a wait of two minutes reboots itself. I have tried different HDMI Cables and sockets on the rear of the TV, nothing changes?
    Hi @PaulJ
    Welcome to the forum :) 
    Does the box turn itself off when it's performing any particular functions (e.g. recording, watching apps etc)? 
    Thanks,
    Sarah
    edited 9 October 2020, 12:54PM
    Hi Sarah,
    the box will turn off whilst watching normally or a recording. It will also freeze the picture when this happens the box does not respond to the remote or to the control dial on the box. It will then start up again after a two minute wait i.e. a reboot but if watching a recording this will not show as being partially watched but will return to the beginning as if it had not being watched?  
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,118 ✭✭✭
    Hi @PaulJ

I suggest a Maintenance Mode Option 2 in the first instance:-

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/using-maintenance-mode/

8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
    Tried that more than once and nothing changes, having done a search on this box it seems to be a problem that has been about for a while?
    PaulJ said:
    Tried that more than once and nothing changes, having done a search on this box it seems to be a problem that has been about for a while?
    @PaulJ

Can you give URLs for other reports of this? 

And this is ‘for a while’ since 23rd September, as you ascribe it to the latest release?

The nuclear option is Maintenance Mode 5, same as the Factory Reset in Settings, but this does lose all your recordings.
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
    edited 11 October 2020, 7:45AM
    Try here for a start, there is a fault with the box, I have monitored the power to ensure it is not a power surge. This started after the last update

https://www.google.com/search?q=dtr+t200+you+view+bix+turns+off&oq=dtr+t200+you+view+bix+turns+off&aqs=chrome..69i57.14189j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
    edited 17 October 2020, 10:25PM
    @Paul19

Everything starts after an update, on any YouView box that ever had one.

The question is, did it start immediately after an update? This is very hard to determine, as, despite repeated requests, YouView have never recorded this date on your box when doing an update.

But yes, there is likely a fault with the box, and every update is an opportunity for this to happen, although so is normal everyday usage.

But it is, alas, unlikely to be an issue with the software in the update, or there would be many more reports of this.

You references go back as far as 2013, and none are recent. But they demonstrate that YouView boxes fail from time to time, as we fear that yours has likely done.

You could try Maintenance Mode 4; and 5 as a last-ditch recovery attempt.

I did wonder about the power supply for the box, briefly, though I doubt it’s that.
    I have tried the maintenance mode both. Up until the update, I was in front of the telly when it was installed, all was well.

There is another thread dealing with problem's with Humax
    https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/freezing-tuning-out-not-recording-turning-off

So the question to be answered is why is now it shutting down and restarting at random after an update, something is telling the box to shut down and restart?  
    PaulJ said:
    I have tried the maintenance mode both. Up until the update, I was in front of the telly when it was installed, all was well.

There is another thread dealing with problem's with Humax
    https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/freezing-tuning-out-not-recording-turning-off

So the question to be answered is why is now it shutting down and restarting at random after an update, something is telling the box to shut down and restart?  
    @PaulJ

The boxes have a certain ability to know when they have got themselves in a pickle, and if they do, they will variously power cycle themselves, or go into Maintenance Mode, to get themselves out of it if they can, or to have you get them out of it.

This is fine for temporary software problems, but sometimes the pickle comes about because of an underlying hardware fault, so they keep getting themselves into it, and there really isn’t much you can do.

Also note there are only some pickles the boxes know to try to get out of, and so there are variously reasons why they will misbehave and not seem to know they are doing it, or they will just freeze up and sit there.

As mine did this morning; see the thread I started about this.
    So basically what you are saying is these are faulty boxes? Should Humax get a fix for this or perhaps make something that works? With this I will certainly think twice as to purchasing anything with Humax stamped on it. 

Do Humax know about these faults?
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭
    How old is your box @PaulJ?
    edited 18 October 2020, 10:55AM
    PaulJ said:
    So basically what you are saying is these are faulty boxes? Should Humax get a fix for this or perhaps make something that works? With this I will certainly think twice as to purchasing anything with Humax stamped on it. 

Do Humax know about these faults?
    @PaulJ   

Please don’t put words in my mouth.

I’m saying that these are electrical equipment; any piece of electrical equipment carries with it the possibility of failure.

Whats important is not the absolute fact of failure, but the percentage of such failures year on year, and Humax T2000 boxes are very good in this respect.

If you don’t buy Humax because one of those devices fails, then you can hardly safely buy anything, Humax or not. But perhaps you have been lucky, and never had an electrical appliance fail before this. Not a TV, not a toaster? Not an audio device, not a thermostat?

But if you had to look back more than three years ago to find a failed Humax device like yours, then, with about 3 million of them out there, I think that speaks volumes.

Doesn’t help you of course, with your particular issue. But I can only suggest a Maintenance Mode reset at Option 4 level, and if that doesn’t work, the nuclear option is the Option 5 level.

And one of these ought to work, at least, unless the box hardware itself is faulty.
    Perhaps rather than accuse of putting words in your mouth which I did not but followed what you said, read my posts I had stated quite clearly that I had already tried these, obviously a fault is within the software of the box that appears to have started with the last update? If I keep resetting I am not going to get a better update but the same with the same fault!
    About 3 years old
    PaulJ said:
    Perhaps rather than accuse of putting words in your mouth which I did not but followed what you said, read my posts I had stated quite clearly that I had already tried these, obviously a fault is within the software of the box that appears to have started with the last update? If I keep resetting I am not going to get a better update but the same with the same fault!
    @PaulJ

If you think there is a fault in the software from the last update, then you either need to find many more reports of it (and all of them since the update, not going back before anybody had it) or explain why there might not be such reports to be had, of such an obvious fault.

Explanations that better fit the observed data are:-

Your box became faulty, as electrical equipment does from time to time, and you are incorrectly ascribing it to the update;

Your box had an incipient fault which was triggered by the update process, as YouView boxes used to do from time to time, especially T1000s, though it has become much less prevalent since;

Your box did not receive the update quite correctly, and needs another go at it.

This last possibility is rare to non-existent, but if it has happened, then Maintenance Mode Option 4 should put it right, hence me suggesting you try this. Though if you have, and with no improvement, then this rather rules out that possibility.

I do not doubt that YouView boxes fail from time to time, as do many other items of electrical equipment.

But if a Factory Reset doesn’t fix your box, then it isn’t fixable, short of what a repair service might find by opening it up on a bench; and that is not usually an economic option.
    jonesh said:

About 3 years old
    jonesh said:

Roy, do you read the posts? What is your Job are you something to do with YouView?

As I explained I have tried the reset option but when it restarts and reloads it will download the latest update, which caused a fault within my box, the box as I have already said, but perhaps you missed it, shuts down and restarts by itself so something is telling it to do this?

It will also freeze on the screen but will not respond to the remote and locks the TV so the only way to regain control is turn off the power and back on, this is something that is found on other threads which I found for you and I am not looking again.

• joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭
    PaulJ said:
    jonesh said:

About 3 years old
    jonesh said:

Out of warranty then.
    PaulJ said:
    Roy, do you read the posts? What is your Job are you something to do with YouView?

As I explained I have tried the reset option but when it restarts and reloads it will download the latest update, which caused a fault within my box, the box as I have already said, but perhaps you missed it, shuts down and restarts by itself so something is telling it to do this?

It will also freeze on the screen but will not respond to the remote and locks the TV so the only way to regain control is turn off the power and back on, this is something that is found on other threads which I found for you and I am not looking again.

@Paul

Yes I read your posts; but do you read my replies? 

My job is in tech support; keeping £multi-million systems running for my client. And YouView is just a hobby; the expertise I have gained over the years, and my contributions over years, have earned me the sobriquet of Super User, as it has for other members of the Community who merit that status, but I’m still just a customer like you.

Your description of how your box is behaving, despite applying all the remedial steps we have in our armoury, says ‘hardware fault’. 

Might have happened at the time of an update, might not; but it doesn’t matter; it wasn’t anything in an update that has done this, or there would be many, many reports of it. Followed by the rapid rollout of a software fix, or even a rollback until one could be found.

But there is likely no software fix for what ails your box, because it likely isn’t a software problem. You need to grasp this, figure out what you are going to do - get another YouView box? Get a competitor’s box? Resign yourself to  just streaming, from one or more of an array of sticks?

And then move on. Sorry.....