YVM302

I recently bought a Samsung smart tv, thought I didn’t need you view box so had it taken off talktalk account. However discovered I needed something to be able to rewind if I missed something of a programme. So had box reinstated, but when I connected it to new tv I get message YVM302! Help!! 

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 September 2020, 11:36AM
    @glynnie053

Greetings, and welcome to the Community!

YVM302 is described below:-

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/error-messages/fix-for-yvm302/

and it’s saying that your aerial isn’t strong enough. Though more likely, if it all worked before, the cables haven’t been put back properly, or you never had both TV and box on the aerial setup.

So if you took the aerial cable off the box and plugged it into the new TV instead, then you need to put it back onto the YouView box.

Then, if you would still like to be able to watch programmes on the TV instead of the YouView box, from time to time, you need another aerial cable to link from the aerial out of the YouView box to the Aerial In of the TV. And this needs to be what is called a male-to-female aerial cable.

I bought one from Curry’s that was female-to-female, but came with a little adapter to make it male-to-female, so you could choose what you wanted, and this was very versatile.

Then you can watch on either TV or YouView box, according to your preference at the time.

Couple of things: it only works if you leave the YouView box plugged in, though it can be on Standby; and there is a setting in the YouView settings called RF Loopthrough, or RF Passthrough, and you need to set this On so the aerial signal still gets passed through even if the box goes into Deep Standby.

Reinstatement: as long as the box is yours, and not just one loaned you by TalkTalk, or replaced by them in the last year, you don’t actually need it back on your TalkTalk account. As the box is yours to keep, and it will work perfectly well off the account, and the only thing you might lose is any programmes you have recorded off their Boost channels, which will no longer play.

There’s no point paying TalkTalk a few quid each month for nothing, unless you actively want to go back to (or start, if you never had them before) using their Boost channels.

But let’s get rid of the YVM302 messages by making the aerial change(s) described above, and worry about the account later.

Do let us know how you get on, and do ask if there is anything you are still not clear about!
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭
    Excellent and thoroughly helpful as always @Roy . Unlike BT though TalkTalk allow you to keep the box after your initial TV contract commitment. Although if you want continuing service and support for it you need to maintain a TV subscription. 
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 323 ✭✭
    redchiz said:
    Excellent and thoroughly helpful as always @Roy . Unlike BT though TalkTalk allow you to keep the box after your initial TV contract commitment. Although if you want continuing service and support for it you need to maintain a TV subscription. 
    Not a subscription, but to have a current contract.
    edited 24 September 2020, 3:03PM
    I thought you were covered as long as you paid the fee i.e. subscribed to TalkTalk TV. If you didn't and were out of contract then you would need to take out a new one before they will replace. Am I wrong?
    I've been told you need a current contract to be eligible. You can maintain a subscription to a boost but not be in contract.

A few requests have been rejected recently until they have renewed, and then a replacement box has been sent.
    OK, I wasn't thinking of any Boosts necessarily, just the TV subscription fee. But I will happily defer to your greater knowledge of matters TalkTalk.  
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭
    If TalkTalk replaced your box under contract in the last year, and you decide to leave, then they can ask for the box back.

Or so I believe.
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
    Possibly, which ties in with what I said earlier. I think the principal point is that they are effectively yours, subject to contract, rather than loaned, as opposed to the BT model. Where the box is never yours since the change to their T&Cs to specify as such. 
    @Roy, you are correct, but not seen this happening in practice.
    @Roy, you are correct, but not seen this happening in practice.
    ???