youview on Samsung Tizen OS?

andiandi Member Posts: 2
Hi I recently got myself the Samsung UE65HU7500 4k TV and noticed that it's not running on Google Android as my last TV Sony KDL 43w809c was. Is youview available for my Samsung tv?

Comments

• Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 327 ✭✭
    Short answer appears to be no. Freeview HD only.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,118 ✭✭✭
    edited 4 October 2020, 8:19AM
    The long answer is also no. But YouView on Sony TVs is a misfire, severely compromised in what it can do compared with a dedicated YouView box, and severely compromising what the Sony TVs can do (no recording, no satellite, itv and All4 Players tied to YouView).

And Android, as you will no doubt find when you have used Tizen for a bit, is a bit of an odd fish, not just slow, clunky, and bug-ridden, but also not really convinced that it is running a TV at all.

So if you want YouView, you will be much better off sourcing a YouView box proper, and sticking that under your TV.

As regards ‘Freeview HD only’, the Sammy does of course have Freeview SD as well. And also a plethora of channels from 4000 upwards that are internet channels from the likes of Pluto and others, that seem to be peculiar to Samsung TVs.
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 327 ✭✭
    Is Pluto in the Samsung EPG @Roy
    Some interesting channels via the App on my LG I've found.
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 383
    andi said:
    Hi I recently got myself the Samsung UE65HU7500 4k TV and noticed that it's not running on Google Android as my last TV Sony KDL 43w809c was. Is youview available for my Samsung tv?
    Hi Andi
    Not having a go but didn't you do any research before such a major purchase?
    Quick browse through the specs would have pointed you in the right direction. 
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
    edited 4 October 2020, 8:16AM
    Is Pluto in the Samsung EPG @Roy
    Some interesting channels via the App on my LG I've found.
    @Stevef_fr8ys

Our latest two Samsung TVs (post-2015) have this Samsung TV Plus offering:-

https://www.samsung.com/uk/tvs/smart-tv/samsung-tv-plus/

They are internet channels. Samsung claim ‘live and catch-up’, though I haven’t tried catch-up. The EPG does not go backwards from today; the - part of the +/- 24 hours feature only works when you have gone forward.

The link above describes several ways of getting to these channels, but I just scrolled down the EPG, where they appear from 4000 onwards.

Except for investigative purposes, I have never watched anything from these channels - I wonder what I am missing?
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
    edited 4 October 2020, 7:41AM
    kodikid said:
    andi said:
    Hi Andi
    Not having a go but didn't you do any research before such a major purchase?
    Quick browse through the specs would have pointed you in the right direction. 
    The Queen has one:-

What else does anyone need to know?
  • andiandi Member Posts: 2
    edited 5 October 2020, 2:45PM
    Roy said:
    The long answer is also no. But YouView on Sony TVs is a misfire, severely compromised in what it can do compared with a dedicated YouView box, and severely compromising what the Sony TVs can do (no recording, no satellite, itv and All4 Players tied to YouView).

And Android, as you will no doubt find when you have used Tizen for a bit, is a bit of an odd fish, not just slow, clunky, and bug-ridden, but also not really convinced that it is running a TV at all.

So if you want YouView, you will be much better off sourcing a YouView box proper, and sticking that under your TV.

As regards ‘Freeview HD only’, the Sammy does of course have Freeview SD as well. And unless things have changed recently, a plethora of channels from 4000 upwards that are internet channels from the likes of Pluto, that seem to be peculiar to Samsung TVs,

I see, I thought the Sony did record when s usb HDD was connected, and it also had all4, I think it's just Samsung's OS, it's very dry compared to android. I'm going to look into pluto. Thanks, I also have Virgin media V6 box with 200mb fibre optic connection, is youview available on Virgin media v6?

Edited, thanks
    edited 4 October 2020, 11:29AM
    Again that's a no.
    Youview is only available though a set top box or a decreasing number of Sony smart TVs. 
    Not actually sure why you're so enamored with youview when you already have a V6.
    andi said:
    Roy said:

As regards ‘Freeview HD only’, the Sammy does of course have Freeview SD as well. And unless things have changed recently, a plethora of channels from 4000 upwards that are internet channels from the likes of Pluto, that seem to be peculiar to Samsung TVs,

I see, I thought the Sony did record when s usb HDD was connected, and it also had all,4, I think it's just Samsung's is, it's very dry. I'm going to look into pluto. Thanks, I aloo have Virgin media V6 box with 200mb fibre optic connection, is youview available on Virgin media v6m
    @Andi

You can’t record on the YouView side of Sony Android TVs, you have to switch to the Freeview side. And when you do, on sets before the 2020 models, you lose the itv Hub and All4 Players.

I didn’t get the ‘dry’ bit; is there a typo there? If so, touch the little downward arrow top right on your posting, and it will let you Edit it. 

No doubt you are keen on YouView for the 7-day backward EPG, which neither Tizen nor the Virgin box can match?
    edited 4 October 2020, 4:41PM
    kodikid said:
    Again that's a no.
    Youview is only available though a set top box or a decreasing number of Sony smart TVs. 
    Not actually sure why you're so enamored with youview when you already have a V6.
    Hi @kodikid

Can you point me to which Sony TVs have either lost YouView on moving into the next year’s range, or where a range that had YouView in the preceding year has now been discontinued?
    edited 8 October 2020, 10:00AM
    No 
    Should have put limited not decreasing, my bad