Text button

EmEm Member Posts: 8
Now that the BBC are retiring the News and Sports apps through the red button, any chance that Youview will provide access to news and sports headlines through the 'Text' button on the remote control on BBC TV channels as well as BBC radio channels, instead of just uselessly replicating the 'Info' button on BBC TV channels?
Tagged:

Comments

• DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 385 ✭✭
    edited 6 October 2020, 9:21AM
    The BBC is now not fully retiring its red button service as they said last week. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54360998 they are just now going to reduce the service.
    I myself sill use the service at times and dad uses the red button service when he can remember to use it. Dads in his mid 80s and dont do anything online. Its mostly me that dose anything online for dad as I stay in the house or once in a while my sister. Dads is also partly deaf and has to wear reading glasses and in the last year or so now also needs glasses for watching the TV.

• EmEm Member Posts: 8
    edited 6 October 2020, 9:50AM
    Agreed, Darren, they are reducing the service by retiring the BBC News and Sports apps, hence my question. 

Does anyone know if Youview plans on providing news and sports headlines via the 'Text' button for BBC TV channels as it does currently for BBC radio channels? At the moment on BBC TV channels, the 'Text' button only does the same as the 'Info' button, which is pretty pointless, in my opinion.
  • CeejayCeejay Member Posts: 178 ✭✭
    Em said:
    Agreed, Darren, they are reducing the service by retiring the BBC News and Sports apps, hence my question. 

Does anyone know if Youview plans on providing news and sports headlines via the 'Text' button for BBC TV channels as it does currently for BBC radio channels? At the moment on BBC TV channels, the 'Text' button only does the same as the 'Info' button, which is pretty pointless, in my opinion.
    As I understand the BBC blog article the news and sport will be available via the MHEG text service only - it is only the video that is transferring to iPlayer. 

The blog talks about the reduced MHEG text being available by pressing the Text button on TVs rather than by pressing the red button, so you would hope Youview change the function of their text button to bring up the MHEG text in future.
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 378
    Re Red button 
    It's death by a thousand cuts I'm afraid. They (BBC) initially wanted rid but backed down in the face of a public backlash,  so slowly and surely it's being reduced so people wont bother then they can turn around and say it's being axed because no one uses it.
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 657 ✭✭
    Kodikid,
    I agree with you. It just seems a very negative world at the moment.

With regards Red button (!), I use both methods on my Freesat. The Text button is great for quick access to news/weather info. The Red button loads the interactive screen. So I manage to get the best of both worlds. I think the text button used to work on the older Youview software. Someone might correct me on this. 

I remember Microsoft with Media Center. I loved it & used it for many years, then it was axed due to demand. Ok, it is now outdated, but it worked for me. It also had an excellent playlist feature that some of the newer interfaces still don't have/are not as good. We seem to be driven by trends & market demand. If only there was a consideration for the user to be able to make their own mind up? You purchased something & it should last for as long as you want it, until it breaks down. Maybe I'm old fashioned? It's the way I was brought up to appreciate things.

I guess the problem is costs of keeping data on old server, running 2 servers at the same time. Eventually when everyone has a newer tv, it will be removed. If you don't have access to broadband how do you get the Red button with the newer tv's? My elderly aunt doesn't have broadband, so she will have a  problem! John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 657 ✭✭
    Darren said:
    The BBC is now not fully retiring its red button service as they said last week. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-54360998 they are just now going to reduce the service.
    I myself sill use the service at times and dad uses the red button service when he can remember to use it. Dads in his mid 80s and dont do anything online. Its mostly me that dose anything online for dad as I stay in the house or once in a while my sister. Dads is also partly deaf and has to wear reading glasses and in the last year or so now also needs glasses for watching the TV.

I totally agree with you Darren. No one seems to think about older generation. I live with an elderly parent, so appreciate the frustration. The market seems to be aimed for younger people. As you get older, it is harder to adjust & learn new things in seconds. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
    Thing is John  it's is the way the BBC is unfairly funded. 
    Everyone can watch BBC but only household's fund it through the licensing fee.
    They should scrap the archaic license fee and replace it with something more in tune with today's demographic.
  • EmEm Member Posts: 8
    edited 6 October 2020, 4:01PM
    Ceejay said:
     you would hope Youview change the function of their text button to bring up the MHEG text in future.
    I hope so too!

Do the people at YouView read these forums? How can I send them feedback?
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,111 ✭✭✭
    Em said:
    Ceejay said:
     you would hope Youview change the function of their text button to bring up the MHEG text in future.
    I hope so too!

Do the people at YouView read these forums? How can I send them feedback?
    @Em

Yes, and you are.
    These tests for COVID-19 might get right up my nose, if only I could get one
    Youview and feedback.....Hmmm