2 remotes both controlling 2 boxes

clprattclpratt Member Posts: 8
I have a BT youview box DTR-2110 (manufactured by Humax) with its correct remote handset and I also have a  Humax DTR-T1010 with its own remote handset. I have a problem that each handset will control both boxes. On other Humax boxes I have been able to set the channel on which the remote talks to the box so each remote will control just one box, using the method of holding down OK and 0, then TV screen comes up with the option to select the remote channel 0-6. This method does not work on the BT youview remote or the DTR-T1010 remote.
Has anybody got any advice to fix this problem please.
Many thanks
Chris

Comments

• John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 659 ✭✭
    edited 8 October 2020, 4:36PM
    Hi clpratt,
    Yes this is a problem with the Youview hardware design. I also own a Humax Freesat where you can change remote to another setting. You have to change your other equipment so that it doesn't interfere with Youview, not the other way round. On one of my Humax Freesat pvrs, I have had to reprogram each button on universal remote due changing setting on the Freesat box. The universal remote I use, doesn't provide a matched code for alternative setting. All good fun!

What can you do? There are 2 options: stick some tape over the sensor on one of the boxes to try & reduce the other box from receiving remote signal. Not the best solution, but might work for you. The other option is to put one of the pvrs into another room. I do this with one of my Youview boxes. I won't use 2 Youview pvrs in same room (ones enough!). You would have thought they would have thought about this?

Hope I may have helped you. I know this was discussed a while back & if you type into search just above you may find links. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • barnpiecebarnpiece Member Posts: 3
    If a BT box is in standby then it won't respond to any remote key presses except the key to bring it out of standby. Perhaps the Humax box is the same?
    If so, you just need one box on and one in standby. To control the second box, press the standby button. The frist box will go into standby and the second will come on and respond to the remote.
    Overnight you can use the controls on the box so that both boxes are in standby. In the morning just bring one out of standby and then use the remote as above.

Richard

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,118 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 October 2020, 8:39PM
    @clpratt

Drape a black cloth over the magic eye of the YouView box you don’t want to be affected when controlling the other one.

If both are in range of one remote, this is the only workaround known.
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
  • LukеLukе Member Posts: 49
    edited 8 October 2020, 7:35PM
    clpratt said:
    I have a BT youview box DTR-2110 (manufactured by Humax) with its correct remote handset and I also have a  Humax DTR-T1010 with its own remote handset. I have a problem that each handset will control both boxes.
    I've used two Humax manufactured Youviews in 1 room with no issue using two different remotes to control them separately. How I did that would not suit everyone.

All youview box come with some accessibility features.One of those accessibility features is to use a keyboard instead of the remote that came with the box.
    The keyboard has to be either wired or use the Wi-Fi dongle that came with it.  Obviously I chose to use keyboards that came with a Wi-Fi dongle.  Keyboards that connect wirelessly with a youview box have to be described as wifi keyboards.  Blu-tooth keyboards do not, and can't, work.

I used the same model of keyboard for both youview units.  The keyboards that I used were described as appropriate for "android".  This meant that they had some audio/tv buttons.  The importance of this is that common functions like volume, mute, navigation and "OK" had their own dedicated buttons so that for those functions you didn't have to remember which keys on the keyboard mapped to which remote function. 

Initially it looks like it will take a great deal of effort to remember which keys do what.  There is a logic to which keys on a keyboard do what and this does mean that it a lot easier to remember which key does what than it may at first appear.

The keys that I found difficult to remember were the keys for red, green, yellow and blue. I used coloured pens to mark them.
    There are a couple of illogical key assignments, but I soon got use to them without much practice. You need to press 'Del' to do the same as 'Back' on a normal remote, and you need to press 'Back' to do the same as 'Delete' on a normal remote.

Unfortunately I can no longer find a wifi keyboard that doesn't come with a poor version of power saving.  What this means is that if you haven't used the remote in the past few minutes it needs a button press first to wake it up.

• clprattclpratt Member Posts: 8
    Hi Luke, thank you for your suggestion of an alternative method for controlling my YouView boxes. I do appreciate your detailed reply but don't fancy having to use keyboards instead of normal remotes. Does anyone else have a solution to reprogram the normal remotes so they don't clash?
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,118 ✭✭✭
    edited 10 October 2020, 8:30AM
    clpratt said:
    Hi Luke, thank you for your suggestion of an alternative method for controlling my YouView boxes. I do appreciate your detailed reply but don't fancy having to use keyboards instead of normal remotes. Does anyone else have a solution to reprogram the normal remotes so they don't clash?
    It isn’t the remotes. You could throw one away, and the remaining one would still operate both boxes at once, so this tells you the issue is with the boxes.

But still no, it can’t be done.

I do like the ingenious standby toggle from @barnpiece, though.
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
  • clprattclpratt Member Posts: 8
    Thanks also to John L, barnpiece and Roy for your suggestions. I think I will try barnpiece's suggestion of manually waking up one box at a time then not touching the remote's ON button so the remote will only control the box I have powered up.
    Many thanks to all.