Recordings

Can somebody let me know why I can't record 2 programmes on my youview box.
One is channel 4 18:30 to 21:00 the other BBC1 20:00 to 21:00, it keeps saying i have too many recordings, I've checked i haven't, if I cancel the Channel 4 recording I can record another channel fine, but for some reason with the channel 4 recording it will not allow another recording.
Does the box limit 2 recordings if one of the scheduled recordings is over a certain length???

Comments

• John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 659 ✭✭
    Hi mharrod1971,
    Welcome to Youview. Have you checked how much space is remaining on your hard drive? This maybe the problem. The pvr also needs a little breathing space for the continuous 2 hour buffer partition. Have a look and see if it's over say 95%+ full. You might be able to record short programmes, but if too large it will either refuse or eventually crash. Please let forum know how you get on or need more help. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,118 ✭✭✭
    @mharrod1971

Are you sure you have nothing else scheduled during the time period 18:30 to 21:00 on Sunday?

Your schedule is best looked at on a mobile device, using the BT app, since if you record something daily, you will only see tonight’s edition in your schedule on the YouView box, and no apparent clash on Sunday. But the app will show all scheduled editions for the coming week.

Otherwise, a thing to try is removing the BBC1 entry for Sunday, and seeing if you can schedule anything else at all, overlapping or not, alongside the Formula 1.

If not, then it is either the disc full that @John L posits, or you have found a bug that affects very long (150 minutes) recordings; though I might expect that if so, we would have seen this earlier with some movies.

Re John’s observations, the live buffer is omitted from the calculation of free disc space, so you don’t have to allow for it, but his comment about a nearly full disc remains true.

If so, there is a setting on the box that you can make so it auto-deletes old and/or watched programmes to make space for new ones; though personally, I prefer to manage this for myself.

But your issue does sound more like a programme clash than a full disc.
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 506 ✭✭
    There do seem to be some issues recorded that are as yours. Are either of these series recordings you're trying to set , if so try setting them as single episode recordings.
    Tim C said:
    There do seem to be some issues recorded that are as yours. Are either of these series recordings you're trying to set , if so try setting them as single episode recordings.
    @Tim C

Got any links to these? That would be useful......
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 506 ✭✭
    Having been prompted by @Roy I looked into the thread on the BT Community forum that I was thinking about but realised that refers specifically to IP recordings but it does sound similar to the problem here but might be totally misleading. This is the thread -https://community.bt.com/t5/YouView-from-BT/Recording-a-subscription-internet-channel-and-watching-another/td-p/2009071

BTW how do I give a title to a link like the above?

edited 11 October 2020, 7:19AM
    @Tim C

It doesn’t look like you can anymore, except by a touch or click on the </> icon and rolling your own HTML to do this.

I’m sure the Link icon used to let you set a Title, but now all it seems to do is paste the link, which you can do directly anyway.

It looks like it’s accidentally lost some of its functionality. @Sarah? @Louise Murdoch?

edited 11 October 2020, 7:22AM
    @Tim C

Good spot re the BT issue, and it looks they still haven’t fixed it, even now, months later.

@Sarah, is this BT subscription channels only, or BT only, or what?

But it does say there it’s when recording the first programme of a series, hence no doubt your query, @Tim C, to @mharrod1971 whether these were series recordings or not.

And I think this makes it germane to ask @mharrod1971 what box make and model are you using, and who is your ISP?