2020 Sony Android TVs; itv Hub and All4 outside of YouView; still need tuning or not?

RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,118 ✭✭✭
@Sarah

I have just posted in the UK Sony Community, under Android TVs, the following:-

2020 Sony sets finally let you have the itv Hub and All4 without having to have YouView, but no-one will tell me if you still have to tune the sets with a terrestrial aerial to get them.

I have asked on here before, and on that Community for an answer to this, but didn’t get one.

I’m sure it can’t be a state secret - it just needs somebody with one of these sets to try it, even if no-one from YouView or Sony has so far answered.

But if I am to be as effective in that Community as I would wish to be, it would be very helpful to learn the answer without waiting for such a customer to pop up.
8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!

Comments

• SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,622 admin
    Hi @Roy
    Whilst ITV Hub and All4 are available in the Google App store, they will not work when opened unless they are used through YouView. You do not need an aerial in order to use these apps through YouView. 
    Thanks,
    Sarah
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,118 ✭✭✭
    Sarah said:
    Hi @Roy
    Whilst ITV Hub and All4 are available in the Google App store, they will not work when opened unless they are used through YouView. You do not need an aerial in order to use these apps through YouView. 
    Thanks,
    Sarah
    @Sarah

Thanks for that. But oh dear, I’ve been telling people all wrong then, in the Sony Community, based on an inaccurate report in What HiFi.

So, not having a 2020 set to play with.....

Pre-2020 TVs:-
    These two apps do not appear in the Google TV App Store;
    Any attempt to start one of these two apps from the TV menu system asks you to load YouView if it isn’t loaded;
    These two apps require the TV to have been tuned to itv and Channel 4 respectively.

2020 TVs:-
    These two apps do appear in the Google TV App Store; 
    Any attempt to start one of these two apps still asks you to load YouView if it isn’t loaded;
    These two apps no longer require the TV to have been tuned to itv and Channel 4 respectively.

I would be very pleased if you could kindly confirm true/false to each of these six statements, and where false, what the true statement should be, before I send anyone else down a wrong track!
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!