YouView and Unbranded boxes

mhk1058mhk1058 Member Posts: 2
edited 16 October 2020, 10:05AM in Community
Does anyone know if YouView and Humax have gone their separate ways? It seems impossible to get a new box that not branded by BT, TalkTalk etc nothing listed on the Humax site, apart from the old DTR T2000 which is OOS, or available anywhere, only for Freeview. I really don't want a BT branded box, one because I don't want to have to look at BT branding in my living room and two it appears support for BT branded boxes is pretty dire unless you sign up to BT

Comments

• kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 383
    edited 16 October 2020, 10:35AM
    Hi
    As you have found out it is no longer possible to buy into youview on the high street.  
    In retail terms youview is dead.
    Happily you can still buy boxes on e bay and Amazon including the latest BT branded 4K boxes. 
    In my living room I have a BT smart hub 2 and a recently purchased 4k BT branded box from e bay, so I strongly disagree with you on the BT aesthetics. 
    As for support the boxes are pretty reliable and in my 6 years of unsupported youview retail purchases have never encountered a problem that couldn't be sorted. 

Another option is the Manhattan freeview play box but to me the woeful apps it offers is a deal breaker' so at the moment I personally would always go for the T4000 which as mentioned are easily available on e bay etc.
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,118 ✭✭✭
    mhk1058 said:
    Does anyone know if YouView and Humax have gone their separate ways? It seems impossible to get a new box that not branded by BT, TalkTalk etc nothing listed on the Humax site, apart from the old DTR T2000 which is OOS, or available anywhere, only for Freeview. I really don't want a BT branded box, one because I don't want to have to look at BT branding in my living room and two it appears support for BT branded boxes is pretty dire unless you sign up to BT
    @mhk1058

Humax build the BT branded boxes for BT.

If you are using one of these, and your ISP is not BT, then the support you will get here is as good as the support you will get for the T2000. And possibly as good even if your ISP is BT, as long as you don’t have BT TV. And even if you do have BT TV, pretty near as good as BT’s own support.

The one thing you have to be aware of with the BT branded boxes is that new software releases follow the BT schedule for their boxes, no matter who your ISP is; but different does not necessarily mean behind, e.g. Prime Video.

Outside of getting a box from BT or PlusNet, which anyway will remain theirs, not yours, for all new acquisitions, eBay and Amazon are pretty much the only sources of Humax YouView boxes now, new or secondhand.

But there are T2000s on there; or a BT box and a small tin of black paint can be had for comparable prices.
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
  • mhk1058mhk1058 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your comments and advice kodikid and Roy, much appreciated. I am not that offended by the BT logo :-) If that's the only way to go I can learn to live with it.