Youview box failing to record.

NB49NB49 Member Posts: 2
Hello. My Youview box has suddenly stopped recording and I can no longer use catch up from my TV guide. I had a similar issue in June this year and solved the problem with a factory reset but I lost all of my recordings.
I seem to remember there was a problem in Feb/March this year with Talk Talk users and recording and the issue was being investigated. Does anyone know if the issue still exists? Is there a way of resetting the box without losing my recordings?
Thanks. 

Comments

• John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 659 ✭✭
    edited 17 October 2020, 11:07AM
    Hi NB49.
    Welcome to Youview. YES! A lot of help can be found by typing in search bar at top of page under: help/support (not very clearly shown but it's there). 

You mention factory reset, but have you ever done a maintenance mode reset? This will KEEP your recordings. You just need to carefully read & fully the instructions. I would recommend doing an Option 2 as per details in this link:

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/using-maintenance-mode/

Hope this helps you NB49. Please let forum know how you get on + if you need more help. Have a good Weekend + hopefully with your Youview recording! John L

Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,118 ✭✭✭
    @NB49

Anything reported in Feb/March with recording on TalkTalk boxes would have been rather more subtle than total failure to record.

If this was your issue in June, and it has recurred, then I fear it is telling you your box has failed; a Factory Reset might have brought it back then, but whatever is faulty has raised its ugly head again.

Is your box totally cut off from the internet - do any of the Players load? If so, can you get to a programme that you can’t get to via the EPG?

This is not to suggest a workaround; it is just to see how widespread the problem is.

The YouView-provided drastic resets are from Maintenance Mode, as here:-

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/using-maintenance-mode/

Options that keep your recordings are 2, which refreshes the box software internally, and 4, which refreshes it from YouView’s servers. Be sure to use only the procedure that applies to your specific box here.

But you should not attempt 4 if you can’t use the Players; so start with 2, and if you find the EPG issue is fixed, you can then try a 4.

However, this won’t normally solve your inability to record; though try it afterwards, you might be lucky.

But if this issue still persists, there is nothing for it but Option 5, which is equivalent to a Factory Reset, and the reset it provides does involve resetting the disc, and thus losing your recordings.

This may get your box going again, for now, but it will likely fail again in the future at some point, as it has done now after the June reset. 

One suggestion that can be made after a fail needing Option 5 is to replace the hard disc; but considering the EPG problem, I think your issue is more extensive than that.

So time, perhaps, to consider a replacement box, which TalkTalk will do if you are on subscription with them; if not you may need to trawl eBay, though.
    8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!
  • NB49NB49 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, John L and Roy. Amazingly, the 'soft reset' worked. Interestingly, on pressing the + and - buttons for 15 seconds, no menu appeared so I switched the box off using the rear button. On switching on again the box went into start-up mode and searched for channels etc. All my recordings were still available and catch-up works. 
    With reference to apps, there was also a problem that I did not mention in my first post. I could find a programme in, for example, I Player, but there was no picture, only sound. That is no longer an issue.
    I'm still concerned, however, that the Youview box is not fit for purpose.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,118 ✭✭✭
    NB49 said:
    Thanks, John L and Roy. Amazingly, the 'soft reset' worked. Interestingly, on pressing the + and - buttons for 15 seconds, no menu appeared so I switched the box off using the rear button. On switching on again the box went into start-up mode and searched for channels etc. All my recordings were still available and catch-up works. 
    With reference to apps, there was also a problem that I did not mention in my first post. I could find a programme in, for example, I Player, but there was no picture, only sound. That is no longer an issue.
    I'm still concerned, however, that the Youview box is not fit for purpose.
    @NB49

Your box is not a Humax 😛

Glad you got it going again, anyway.

8 years in, and still a Johnny-come-lately with ten people getting the badge before me!