Youview boxes no longer being produced?

Jeddy3Jeddy3 Member Posts: 4
I used the links on the Youview website to buy a youview box from one of their stockists, but with the exception of Amazon, none of them stocked youview! What's the deal? Is it dead?

Comments

• John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 661 ✭✭
    Hi Jeddy3,
    Welcome to the forum. Very good question. You can still purchase used/refurb boxes, but as you have found retailers are no longer selling in shops. If you subscribe to BT, Plusnet & TalkTalk they will love to take your custom for subscription with a Youview box included, but it is not yours to keep - depends on contract. I'm sure someone will correct me. But if you just want a box to own that records, and you are not interested in extra pay channels, you might have to weigh up your options. 

Does seem rather a shame as the Youview platform, which is overall well designed should be aimed more for retail market as it originally was designed to be. With the option of going subscription route, if you want to expand further. That's my view. Have a look on the forum recently and you will see the discussion about new pvrs being launched. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 411
    edited 29 October 2020, 10:06PM
    New boxes are available on e bay and Amazon,  
    I recently picked up a brand new BT 4k box for £85 on e bay.
    No warranty but trust me I am the world's most cautious buyer and I have never regretted buying through this route. 
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • Jeddy3Jeddy3 Member Posts: 4
    @kodikid I was looking at those. I think my main concern was future support for a platform that seems to be waning, or a least only supported if you are a BT TV subscriber. After some research, I think I'm going to go for a Freeview Play box which seem to be more widespread and going to be around for a few years yet.

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,238 ✭✭✭
    @Jeddy3

In that case, don’t fail to check out the new Humax Aura.
    ‘Impossible’ problems solved, courtesy of Sherlock Holmes and What’sOn
    edited 30 October 2020, 5:32PM
    @Roy
    It's on my radar!  :)
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭
    Jeddy3 said:
    @kodikid I was looking at those. I think my main concern was future support for a platform that seems to be waning.

Just for knowledge - yes, YouView have withdrawn from the retail market as very few were sold as very few people these days buy PVRs, preferring instead to stream. BUT! each model of YouView box still in public circulation will continue to remain supported for the duration of its lifespan, including Sony TVs.

If your going to look at Freeview Play, Roys advice is sound when he suggests you look at the yet to be released Humax Aura, which should be Nov 6th. Its not cheap but if its fast it looks good. Its basically been designed as a streamer box with PVR functionality added on. Or then theres the already released Manhattan TR3 which is much cheaper. But whatever you decide, good hunting.  :)
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • SavenSaven Member Posts: 21
    I bought a BT recorder from Gumtree during lockdown. It’s supported by BT even though I’m not a subscriber and it works perfectly. It records remotely, something that Humax Freeview Play recorders never did. The only slight glitch is that series recordings sometimes get a bit out of order but that’s the broadcaster’s fault. When I told my wife about the new Aura she looked me straight between the eyes and intimated that purchase of a Humax branded box would not be permitted.
    Therein lies the problem,  trying to convince swmbo that replacing the recently purchased working perfectly T4000 is a brilliant idea. 
    Saven said:
    I bought a BT recorder from Gumtree during lockdown. It’s supported by BT even though I’m not a subscriber and it works perfectly. It records remotely, something that Humax Freeview Play recorders never did. The only slight glitch is that series recordings sometimes get a bit out of order but that’s the broadcaster’s fault. When I told my wife about the new Aura she looked me straight between the eyes and intimated that purchase of a Humax branded box would not be permitted.
    @Saven

Put NowTV on, quick, before the box gets its next update, and sit your wife in front of Riviera.

Soon, she will be begging you to consider the Aura 😛
    edited 31 October 2020, 6:23PM
    I've just been reading the AVF forum. I'd hold off on a Manhattan TR3 for now as it appears to be having quite a few software issues. But it looks to be series ID bugs, which are down to the broadcaster.
    The one thing I dont get with this new Aura box is why it's freeview play and not youview. 
    Humax have a pretty decent track record churning out youview boxes so why abandon it.
    Whose decision was it to effectively kill off youview retail anyway?
    But didn’t Youview do the software on Youview boxes as opposed to the manufacturers doing it on their own boxes? 
    edited 1 November 2020, 8:51AM
    kodikid said:
    The one thing I don’t get with this new Aura box is why it's freeview play and not youview. 
    Humax have a pretty decent track record churning out youview boxes so why abandon it.
    @kodikid

Given that Humax make all the BT and PlusNet YouView boxes still, this is far from something they have abandoned.

And with YouView giving up on Retail, there isn’t much mileage in Humax producing a new Retail box, which YouView will anyway decline to support.

Whereas FreePlay, which is arguably what YouView set out to be before it took BT’s shilling, and what the broadcaster partners put together to keep that flame alive when they saw YouView losing its original intent, is vibrant, growing, and strongly backed.

And given that building a YouView box has to adhere to a very strict set of guidelines containing a lot of arbitrary, and sometimes just plain silly, limitations, whereas Freeview Play is, well, freer...... which would you do?

The strangulated prose in which the decision for YouView to entirely shrink into being a plaything for the subscription services was announced to us suggests that this was a fiat which came down from above, with a rationale not entirely expressed in the announcement. But a glance at YouView’s corporate accounts might reveal who pays the piper.....
    edited 1 November 2020, 8:52AM
    Saven said:
    But didn’t Youview do the software on Youview boxes as opposed to the manufacturers doing it on their own boxes? 
    There are four layers to this:-

The hardware, for which YouView publish a pretty tight specification.
    The YouView software, which is as you say.
    And also the App Software, written by many hands.
    But sandwiched between these softwares and the hardware is the firmware, which the manufacturer provides, so that the softwares can write to an API, and the firmware works with the hardware to support this API, so the softwares don’t have to worry about any underlying hardware differences.

(Actually, I’m pretty sure they do have to worry about these in some places, but the idea is to minimise this as far as possible).
    edited 31 October 2020, 11:40PM
    kodikid said:
    The one thing I dont get with this new Aura box is why it's freeview play and not youview. 

Humax haven't abandoned YouView. So perhaps your delight in such is premature.

Also, it isn't Humax making YouView boxes. Its YouView making YouView boxes, they just chose Humax to make them for them. You probably can't get your head around that but thats fine. 
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 336 ✭✭
    Also, it isn't Humax making YouView boxes. Its YouView making YouView boxes, they just chose Humax to make them for them. You probably can't get your head around that but thats fine. 
    So where do TalkTalk's Huawei boxes fit in this scenario then? Do YouView make them?
    So where do TalkTalk's Huawei boxes fit in this scenario then? Do YouView make them?
    @Stevef_fr8ys

@Visionman seems to have entirely forgotten the original basis of YouView, whereby they published a specification for the hardware and invited manufacturers to apply to build boxes that met it.

There were several who started this process, but all except Humax and Huawei fell by the wayside for one reason or another.

It is, of course, overwhelmingly more likely that it is BT, rather than YouView, ‘making’ YouView boxes these days, in Visionman’s rather elastic definition of ‘making’, and having Humax build those for them.

While Humax also go on and show what can be done when freed from the constraints of YouView. Which so far has been some rather disappointing non-YouView PVRs, but we may hope for better from the Aura.
    Humax remote recording setup has so far only worked on your local Wi-fi network. The BT TV equivalent works from anywhere. If the Aura works from anywhere it will move from the ‘no way’ to the ‘maybe’ category
    edited 1 November 2020, 10:13AM
    Saven said:
    Humax remote recording setup has so far only worked on your local Wi-fi network. The BT TV equivalent works from anywhere. If the Aura works from anywhere it will move from the ‘no way’ to the ‘maybe’ category
    As per the first link I ever gave to the details of the Aura:-
    “Thanks to the Humax AURA app, many features of AURA can be accessed on a mobile device, such as streaming recordings around the home or downloading shows to watch later on the move. The app also affords users the freedom to schedule recordings or set reminders when away from home.”
    https://mediaserver.responsesource.com/mediabank/51982/HumaxAURAAndroidTVFreeviewPlayRecorder191020.pdf
    edited 1 November 2020, 11:00AM
    “when away from home.”
    I think it said that on the earliest Humax boxes. Then it stopped saying it. Then Humax would admit that it only worked on a local network.
    Hmmmmm!!!
    Just went to the IOS App Store and looked at the user ratings for Humax apps!
    edited 1 November 2020, 12:35PM
    I'm seriously considering getting one to replace the bedroom T4000.
    Then I will finally be PLA free.
    Looking at the potential app's maybe the roku box may find itself redundant as well.
    I'll keep the living room box as I just love the aesthetics of it alongside the Smart hub 2.
    PLA? 
    Power Line Adapters 
    Unless your youview box is in slight of your router their essential as unlike a £20 now stick the T4000 is not wifi enabled. 
    Maybe it's my house wiring or other external factors but I personally have never found them to be as good as wifi on the Roku box.
    Then again our bedroom is right above the lounge router giving an excellent signal. 
    Saven said:
    PLA? 

Powerline adaptors. They are internet wall plugs. Sometimes called Homeplugs. If its not possible to get a hard wired connection from your router to your box you plug each of them into your respective device and nearest wall socket and then they use your homes electrical wiring to make an internet connection.
    Visionman said:
    Saven said:
    PLA? 

Powerline adaptors. They are internet wall plugs. Sometimes called Homeplugs. If its not possible to get a hard wired connection from your router to your box you plug each of them into your respective device and nearest wall socket and then they use your homes electrical wiring to make an internet connection.
    Ah! Nothing to do with London Docks then!
    Saven said:

To be fair, the recordings are in fact properly sorted into series and order of recording, oldest shown first. I can’t believe how good this box is for £25. I bought a second one for £20. Mint condition and it gives me a spare box, remote and power supply.
    My old Panasonic recorder has a feature to jump to the end of a ‘commercial break’ which works most of the time. Would be nice on the BT box! 
    Saven said:
    Saven said:

To be fair, the recordings are in fact properly sorted into series and order of recording, oldest shown first. I can’t believe how good this box is for £25. I bought a second one for £20. Mint condition and it gives me a spare box, remote and power supply.
    My old Panasonic recorder has a feature to jump to the end of a ‘commercial break’ which works most of the time. Would be nice on the BT box! 
    I've worked out that most ad breaks are 4 skip button presses. Much quicker than fast forward!
    SKIPS are 1 minute forwards and 15 seconds back.