Youview TV from Plusnet £5

LouthomLouthom Member Posts: 1
Hi,  I am currently paying £5 / month for Youview from Plusnet and am looking to get a better deal from another broadband provider. If I get a deal which does not have a TV subscription (Just broadband and telephone)  can I just use my Plusnet box to watch Youview channels or will I need to pay a monthly fee?
Many thanks 

Comments

• kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 411
    Youview is a free subscription service same as freeview. BT and talk talk have cleverly marketed it as a subscription service but it's free to use.
    Not sure if you have to return your box but even if you do replacement boxes are readily available on e bay.
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,238 ✭✭✭
    Louthom said:
    Hi,  I am currently paying £5 / month for Youview from Plusnet and am looking to get a better deal from another broadband provider. If I get a deal which does not have a TV subscription (Just broadband and telephone)  can I just use my Plusnet box to watch Youview channels or will I need to pay a monthly fee?
    Many thanks 
    @Louthorn

A YouView box out of subscription will get you all the Freeview channels and catch-up players provided by FreeView channel owners, and those subscription players, like Netflix, Amazon Video and NowTV that are independent of BT and PlusNet. Though if you have subscribed to any of these via PlusNet, you will have to cease this arrangement and take them separately.

You will lose access to the channels provided by BT/PlusNet (though they will continue to show in your EPG unless you switch to a new ISP), and you will lose access to any recordings you have made of these, which will no longer play, though recordings you have made from Freeview channels will be fine still.

What date did you join PlusNet on? If this was very recent, they will not let you leave the contract without penalty; if a little less recent they can and will demand the YouView box back; but if further back, no penalty, and the box is yours to keep. So please let us know the date so we can tell you which.
    ‘Impossible’ problems solved, courtesy of Sherlock Holmes and What’sOn
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 October 2020, 10:37PM
    I can't find anything about box ownership in the Plusnet T&Cs @Roy.
    I'll have another look another day. The T&Cs are not good bedtime reading :/.
  • mc2mc2 Member Posts: 30
    edited 30 October 2020, 7:20AM
    I’m also a Plusnet TV customer and (as far as I’m aware) their Youview Box Ownership Rules did not change when BT announced that their Youview Boxes are only to loaned to customers.

I believe that you are still free to keep the Youview Box once you have completed your minimum term contract.

Then again, at £58 the upfront cost for a Plusnet Youview+ box is still significantly higher than with BTTV so maybe that’s why they didn’t change their box ownership terms.

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,238 ✭✭✭
    @jonesh @mc2

PlusNet’s T&Cs are a rabbit warren, but yes, it looks like they give you the box, not just lend it.

As ever, if this is indeed the case, it is the case from day 1, and not from the end of the contract; you have to pay early termination charges if you leave early, but the box does not need to be returned.

PlusNet say they are charging you £7.99 for the box, and the £50 is an activation charge; but the main thing here is that they are contractually selling you the box.

Elsewhere in the T&Cs, they price the box at £199.99, but I have been unable to determine the relevance of this. And 18 months at £5 is £90, which even with the £57.99 doesn’t get up to that. 

So it must be a loss leader for the broadband, which is where it all started....
    ‘Impossible’ problems solved, courtesy of Sherlock Holmes and What’sOn
  • mc2mc2 Member Posts: 30
    edited 30 October 2020, 9:14AM
    I believe that the £199.99 figure quoted is the full price that Plusnet claim to charge to replace a Youview+ Box if you have already been supplied with one for £57.99 (Activation Free £50.00 and P&P £7.99).

But I agree that you’re quite right to say the Plusnet TV T&C’s are a Rabbit Warren 😀