Remote control issue

BillingdBillingd Member Posts: 6
Hi
My remote has suddenly stopped working. In particular the Guide is erratic. Its difficult to select a channel, and just typing a channel number is a bit hit and miss.
I've tried resetting the remote and no difference. I've got a spare remote, and that has the same issues. I've changed the batteries and same problem.
My box is a Youview DTRT4000 with manufacturer software version 32.47.0. I haven't tried resetting the box back to factory settings as yet. Is there anything else I can try before that drastic step ?
Many thanks

David

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,227 ✭✭✭
    @Billingd

Try one of the Maintenance Mode resets, Option 2 or Option 4. More drastic that pressing the On/Off button for ten seconds, much less drastic than a Factory Reset, these occupy the middle ground where they shake your box up, but still preserve all your recordings.

One of these may fit the bill for you.

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/using-maintenance-mode/
    ‘Impossible’ problems solved, courtesy of Sherlock Holmes and What’sOn
  • BillingdBillingd Member Posts: 6
    Thanks, Roy. That seems a great idea. So just turned the box on after being off for over 12 hours, and its working. So not sure what's happened there, as I did power down several times yesterday without success :smile:
    Unfortunately, as soon as the box warmed up, this problem came back. I have tried doing some maintenance mode resets, but without success. So this looks like a hardware fault with the box. Its not particularly old but is out of guarantee. Is this a common fault? Or have I just been unlucky ?
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,227 ✭✭✭
    edited 2 November 2020, 3:07PM
    Billingd said:
    Unfortunately, as soon as the box warmed up, this problem came back. I have tried doing some maintenance mode resets, but without success. So this looks like a hardware fault with the box. Its not particularly old but is out of guarantee. Is this a common fault? Or have I just been unlucky ?
    I agree with your diagnosis - it does look like a hardware fault. I’ve not heard of this one, but faults do happen, and they show up in all sorts of strange ways.

Two things I haven’t asked, though - are you using a plasma TV? have you got unusual room lighting?

As either of these things can make a YouView box balky in responding to the remote.

if the latter, try with the lights off; if the former, get the YouView box as well shielded from any light from the plasma TV as possible, and see if things improve.
    ‘Impossible’ problems solved, courtesy of Sherlock Holmes and What’sOn
    Just a follow up to this. This issue with my remote failing to work is an overheating problem with my t4000 box. I've now got the box stood on a couple of drinks mats giving more air underneath, and its fixed. One thing I did notice is that the fan never comes on, even when the box gets hot. Clearly this would help, if I could get this going. Investigating a fix for this, there seems to be an opinion that the fan was switched off by design in a software upgrade. This is quite a good article  https://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/6708695/t1010-when-should-the-fan-run  It even has a suggestion for getting the fan to work by connecting to an alternative supply point inside the box. But as this is for a t1000 box, I can't get at the supply to the disk, which is different for my t4000 box.
    So, just wondering, is it correct that the fan is now permanently off by design on my t4000 box? Or is it broken?  Is there an alternative supply point for the fan on the circuit board that i could try?
    Thanks

David
    Just a follow up to this. This issue with my remote failing to work is an overheating problem with my t4000 box. I've now got the box stood on a couple of drinks mats giving more air underneath, and its fixed. One thing I did notice is that the fan never comes on, even when the box gets hot. Clearly this would help, if I could get this going. Investigating a fix for this, there seems to be an opinion that the fan was switched off by design in a software upgrade. This is quite a good article  https://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/6708695/t1010-when-should-the-fan-run  It even has a suggestion for getting the fan to work by connecting to an alternative supply point inside the box. But as this is for a t1000 box, I can't get at the supply to the disk, which is different for my t4000 box.
    So, just wondering, is it correct that the fan is now permanently off by design on my t4000 box? Or is it broken?  Is there an alternative supply point for the fan on the circuit board that i could try?
    Thanks

David
  • Peskdale61Peskdale61 Member Posts: 91
    edited 17 November 2020, 4:19PM
    Very odd that you're experiencing this... I deliberately unplugged the fan on my T4000 a few years ago, and I've never encountered such an issue.

But clearly from your testing, heat does seem to be the cause of the remote issues.

I'm pretty sure the fan is still supposed to run on T4000 boxes. So perhaps it's a hardware failure with the fan itself?

Do you have a desktop PC? If so, you could try removing the fan from your box, and plugging it into an appropriate fan/power header on the PC to test the fan itself.
    Similarly, you could take a fan from the PC and plug it into your box, to test the header on the board.
    Hi
    Thanks for the advice. Just found what appears to be a replacement fan on ebay for £5. So will give that a go.