A new TV compatible with my BT box?

I have an old non-SMART TV which I need to replace. I would prefer to get another 'dumb' TV, which seems hard to find! Or would I still be able to connect and use my BT box with a SMART set? Any suggestions or recommendations? I'm having to buy online due to current lockdown. Thanks

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,227 ✭✭✭
    edited 16 November 2020, 12:56PM
    @flyingpenguin

Greetings, and welcome to the Community!

Any TV that has an HDMI input, be the TV dumb or be it smart, will work with your YouView box.

Dumb TVs do still exist, but Smart ones aren’t really any dearer, and you get a much wider choice.

And the smarts on a Smart TV don’t get in the way (except perhaps on Sony TVs, which don't seem to realise that they should be a TV for the broadcast channels first, and smart only when you want that), but give you lots of apps, many of which your YouView already has, but some the YouView box hasn’t got, and some the TV might do better than the YouView box does.

And generally, they work very well over Wi-fi, so you want have to worry about doubling up Ethernet cables to drive them.

Have you thought about what you want in a new TV? What screen size you would like, how much you want to spend? Any preferences as to brand? Give us an idea, and we can perhaps lay out what your choices might be, make a few recommendations, especially as you will be buying sight unseen, as it were. 
    ‘Impossible’ problems solved, courtesy of Sherlock Holmes and What’sOn
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 410
    Smart seems to be the default on TVs these days and there's no cost saving if you do stumble across a non smart set.
    The box will work perfectly on any tv if set up correctly. 
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • jonjosephjonjoseph Member Posts: 47
    I use a Youview box with a huge Bang and Olufsen cathode ray tv . The colours are still better than modern sets .This one weighs a ton and needs floor space . On ebay they pop up mostly in London. Mine cost £40 and had to be delivered by a man in a van . That cost me £70 . Bargain .
    edited 17 November 2020, 2:03AM
    Ironically youview could soon be joining your CRT to bathe in glorious obsolescence. 
    jonjoseph said:
    I use a Youview box with a huge Bang and Olufsen cathode ray tv . The colours are still better than modern sets .This one weighs a ton and needs floor space . On ebay they pop up mostly in London. Mine cost £40 and had to be delivered by a man in a van . That cost me £70 . Bargain .
    How big is ‘huge’? Widescreen, hopefully, and presumably SCART...

The biggest CRT set we ever had (and the biggest we ever saw) was a widescreen 36”, or a smidgeon larger, screenwise, than the now-titchy 32” second sets we have hanging on a couple of our walls. Sony’s first foray into digital TV, replacing the Pace and Sagem digital boxes we had been using.

It was not a success; wrong-footed by the small print of the digital specification, it would not track the channels correctly as the BBC juggled them into place, so we would wake up and find we had BBC Parliament on channel 1, where BBC1 had been the night before, and so on.

After a couple of tries to fix this, Sony gave up, and we had it carted away. The local Sony Centre guys, two of whom were needed to load it into the back of a Volvo estate car, were not pleased, though they refunded us readily enough.

So, back to the set top boxes, which worked until the great table size debacle.....

Oh, the pleasures of being an early adopter. Our first YouView box in 2012, and now @kodikid, that unmitigated bundle of joy, is writing the company and all its products off......
    edited 17 November 2020, 9:48AM
    Is youview a company??

kodikid said:
    Is youview a company??

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/07308805

I despair less of the things you don’t know than of your inability to find them out 😛
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 661 ✭✭
    kodikid said:
    Is youview a company??

Yes, Youview are a Company working with other partners in a very competitive/ever changing market place. 
    Is kodikid an "entertainment package" or a product in development? 
    John L

Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭
    John L said:
    kodikid said:
    Is youview a company??

Yes, Youview are a Company working with other partners in a very competitive/ever changing market place. 
    Is kodikid an "entertainment package" or a product in development? 
    John L

@John L without doubt your best post ever.
    Thank you - made my day  :)
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 November 2020, 10:49PM
    kodikid said:
    Is youview a company??

Your criticism of YouView is always harsh yet you actually know nothing about it. 
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 512 ✭✭
    As always happens here someone comes here for advice and then suddenly the thread goes way off track.
    I really do despair.
    Tim C said:
    As always happens here someone comes here for advice and then suddenly the thread goes way off track.
    I really do despair.
    @flyingpenguin 

Greetings, and welcome to the Community!

Any TV that has an HDMI input, be the TV dumb or be it smart, will work with your YouView box.

Dumb TVs do still exist, but Smart ones aren’t really any dearer, and you get a much wider choice.

And the smarts on a Smart TV don’t get in the way (except perhaps on Sony TVs, which don't seem to realise that they should be a TV for the broadcast channels first, and smart only when you want that), but give you lots of apps, many of which your YouView already has, but some the YouView box hasn’t got, and some the TV might do better than the YouView box does.

And generally, they work very well over Wi-fi, so you want have to worry about doubling up Ethernet cables to drive them.

Have you thought about what you want in a new TV? What screen size you would like, how much you want to spend? Any preferences as to brand? Give us an idea, and we can perhaps lay out what your choices might be, make a few recommendations, especially as you will be buying sight unseen, as it were.