RIP little box

davidwdavidw Member Posts: 38
So that's it ,the box has gone to the youview heaven .On two days when i switched the tv on the box was in maintenance mode ,so i updated it and all was well ......till the third day and my DTR-T4000 is stuck in maintenance mode and there is nothing i can do with it .I have tried powering it off , another hdd ect but nothing .It tries to reset but then reverts back to the same screen .So do i buy another or go down the freeview play route like a Manhattan T3 or something ? 

Comments

• Jeffuk1Jeffuk1 Member Posts: 43
    edited 19 November 2020, 12:17PM
    I have three DTR-T4000 boxes ... two used side by side as a "double box" and one I bought new off ebay a few weeks  back because I want back up rather than revert to Freeplay which I do not prefer.   To me nothing else will do so ....  I think I paid £120 for a 1tb new sealed box.  I love Youview ... it still works fine and the GUI is common across my STBs and my Sony AF9.

First choice might be to try a full reset and if that doesn't work by another DTR-T4000t for relatively small cash on ebay.

Using Maintenance Mode

A YouView Box FAQ

Maintenance mode is used to recover your box when something has gone wrong with it. You can restore your box back to its factory settings, letting you start again from a clean slate.

Bt DTR-T4000
    1. Turn the power on using the switch found on the back of your box. ...
    2. Press and hold the down arrow button on the top of the box for 5 seconds until you see the Enter Maintenance Mode Y/N (Y:POWER) prompt. ...
    3. Press the button on the top of the box.
    4. The box should now enter maintenance mode.
    ...... then back out and see if that does it.  Good luck.

Jeff

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,227 ✭✭✭
    edited 19 November 2020, 12:22PM
    davidw said:
    So that's it ,the box has gone to the youview heaven .On two days when i switched the tv on the box was in maintenance mode ,so i updated it and all was well ......till the third day and my DTR-T4000 is stuck in maintenance mode and there is nothing i can do with it .I have tried powering it off , another hdd ect but nothing .It tries to reset but then reverts back to the same screen .So do i buy another or go down the freeview play route like a Manhattan T3 or something ? 
    I’d get another T4000, probably off eBay, to tide you over until Manhattan get the T3 right, or Humax get the Aura right.

BTW, there is no truth in the rumours that Auras come with a free copy of Deathwish 🙀
    ‘Impossible’ problems solved, courtesy of Sherlock Holmes and What’sOn
  • davidwdavidw Member Posts: 38
    Thanks lads all i can do is get the box to boot in to maintenance mode even when i try to reinstall the software or factory reset it boots back in to maintenance mode . I have seen a 500gb box on amazon with a 12 month warranty for £125, or an unopened one on ebay for £105  not sure which yet 
    "I’d get another T4000, probably off eBay, to tide you over until Manhattan get the T3 right"
    Not that i should be asking this but can i take it you rate the T3 ? other than the probs we all have with the youview boxes i.e not being able to pad recordings ect  and one thing i do miss , there used to be a little green circle iirc when advertising a program or film that allowed you to set up a recording of what ever was being advertised what happened to that 
    @davidw

I have no personal experience of the T3, but I haven’t seen bad reports of it. Last time I looked, people were waiting for a promised remote recording app from them, but I don’t know if it ever materialised, or what the situation is there now.

The new Humax Aura looks good on paper, but isn’t yet(?) exactly living up to its promise.
  • Jeffuk1Jeffuk1 Member Posts: 43
    David,

For me I cannot think of any features I don't currently have that would move me to a future box in advance of these ones going technical and me being forced to make a choice.  My only observation is that I wouldn't be happy with just 500gb and there are ebay people selling sealed 1tb models.  Good luck with your choice.
  • davidwdavidw Member Posts: 38
    Jeffuk1 said:
    David,

My only observation is that I wouldn't be happy with just 500gb and there are ebay people selling sealed 1tb models.  Thank you Jeff my last box was/is a 1tb i wonder if i can fit that in to my new one 

edited 20 November 2020, 1:42PM
    davidw said:

Thank you Jeff my last box was/is a 1tb i wonder if i can fit that in to my new one 

No problem, as trying your existing box with another disc didn’t work, which indicates the issue (probably) doesn’t involve the disc.

The new box would reinitialise it, but you probably know that; means you could at least buy a 500GB box a bit cheaper, and still have your 1TB.

(He says as he fights off the SAP b*st*rds trying to encroach on his 2TB on the 1PB box he has to share with them)