Two BT Boxes

SavenSaven Member Posts: 43
edited 1 December 2020, 11:08AM in Support
My BT box is playing up. I have a spare so I set that up next to the old one. Both remotes control both boxes. Nothing I do to cover up the IR windows on either one of the boxes will stop that box switching on. 
When I set up the second box all my scheduled recordings from box 1 were sitting there! Obviously the recordings on the first box weren’t on the second but the schedules were.
Am I missing something?

Later - set a recording on box 1 but it didn’t show up on box 2!

Comments

• Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 377 ✭✭
    Turn both boxes off at the box from the front button.

Then turn on the box you wish to use, using the front button. That way only one box will respond.
  • SavenSaven Member Posts: 43
    Many thanks. That works.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭
    Saven said:

When I set up the second box all my scheduled recordings from box 1 were sitting there! Obviously the recordings on the first box weren’t on the second but the schedules were.
    Am I missing something?

Later - set a recording on box 1 but it didn’t show up on box 2!
    It is somewhat disputed by YouView, but there does seem to be a mechanism whereby your schedules, in a Maintenance Mode reset, will come back from a YouView server.

However, this is box-specific, or ought to be, but it sounds like the schedules came back to a wrong box.

That’s one conjecture anyway.

But after that, normal box-by-box service. Otherwise both boxes would record everything set on either box, which would be most undesirable.
    Back to my usual level of bafflement, then...
    edited 1 December 2020, 10:46PM
    Turn both boxes off at the box from the front button.

Then turn on the box you wish to use, using the front button. That way only one box will respond.
    After which, if you want to switch boxes, you can use the On/Standby button on the remote, which will switch off the box that is on, and switch on the one that is off.

So you only need to use the buttons on the boxes themselves twice a day, to ensure one is on in the morning, and both are in standby (ideally) overnight.
    edited 10 December 2020, 4:15PM
    This is working very well. I have the two boxes side by side and everything works exactly as Roy said. The two boxes do everything I want them to, give me the option to record four channels and the BT TV app works well. At under £50 the pair I have much more than I would have got from a recently released box costing over £200 more.
    Only one problem. There are never four programmes that I would want to record at the same time!
    Or three!
    And only rarely two.
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 377 ✭✭
    Wait until next year when new programmes will return to the schedules!
    Isn’t that what they said last year?
    Saven said:
    Isn’t that what they said last year?
    Possibly. But that was when we all thought that ‘lockdown’ just meant stabilising your YouView box settings, and keeping them that way 😢
    edited 11 December 2020, 10:17AM
    Fingers crossed all ok at the moment!