2nd hand box without BT setup

JamieMJamieM Member Posts: 2
Hiya. Purchased a second hand 500GB Humax BT DTR-T210 to use as a Freeview recorder. 

It was factory reset, so I’m stuck on the broadband setup page and can’t seem to pass without connecting to what I presume is a BT router only... I have Sky internet, not BT and both auto connect with ethernet + manual connect options don’t let me pass.

Any idea what to do?

Comments

• Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 377 ✭✭
    The YouView box should work on any ISP. The box does need to be connected to your router, either directly with an ethernet cable or using powerline adaptors. The box is not wifi enabled.

You cannot set up the box without it being connected to the internet.

If you have it set up to the internet and it is not loading, then try a maintenance reset to try and force the setup.

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/using-maintenance-mode/

If that fails then I would suggest the box is faulty and ask for a refund or replacement.
  • JamieMJamieM Member Posts: 2
    Managed to get it sorted using a different Ethernet cable from my sky hub to the box! Phew. 

The problem now is that it’s a really crude set up with cables everywhere stretching between rooms etc... is there really not anyway to keep the smart / on demands features without the ethernet cable? Do the ‘BT Mini Connector’ type things need a BT service?
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 469
    edited 12 December 2020, 8:17PM
    You need powerline adapters.  Work with any router,  get them in Curry's or Argos.  Like most things price reflects the quality. 
    You don't need BT adapters for a youview box, PLA's are universal. 
    It may say BT on the box but BT has absolutely no connection to the box at all unless you subscribe to BT.
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭
    @JamieM

YouView boxes, even BT ones, shouldn’t care who your ISP is, or look for a particular model of router. I ran three boxes, two of them over Sky Broadband, and one over Movistar in Spain, that I really had no reasonable expectation it would work. But it did.

How is your box linked to the router? Straight Ethernet cable, or via Powerline Adaptors?

Back to my usual level of bafflement, then...
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭
    JamieM said:
    Managed to get it sorted using a different Ethernet cable from my sky hub to the box! Phew. 

The problem now is that it’s a really crude set up with cables everywhere stretching between rooms etc... is there really not anyway to keep the smart / on demands features without the ethernet cable? Do the ‘BT Mini Connector’ type things need a BT service?
    @JamieM.     

Glad you got it working, anyway.

An alternative to PLAs is a nanorouter; I have had some success with one of these. You connect it to the YouView box with a short Ethernet tail, power it from the USB socket on the box, and in effect, it acts as a wireless dongle.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WR802N-Wireless-Enterprise-Computing/dp/B00TACCPUW/ref=asc_df_B00TACCPUW/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310584977443&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3779316028449541808&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006527&hvtargid=pla-357618297054&psc=1

It will do multicast (though note that BT routers won’t over WiFi, or didn’t use to at least) but this only matters if you are trying to use a BT TV subscription with it, which you probably aren’t.

Back to my usual level of bafflement, then...
  • SavenSaven Member Posts: 43
    Another alternative is a Wi-fi mesh system. I got a tp-link triple for about £80, gives 2 Ethernet ports on each and fills the house with Wi-fi. A lot better than PLAs.