Bose tv sound bar will it work with Youview

DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 423 ✭✭
edited 15 December 2020, 8:06PM in Community
I’m looking at getting a Bose TV sound bar as I see qvc and Amazon are selling it with monthly easy payments at no extra cost. Dose the Bose speaker use Dolby 5.1.
was just wondering would this work with the Youview box and would I need to connect the sound bar to the TV or the Youview box. Some reviews say connect it with the cables that come with it and some reviews say better to connect via HDMI,
TV in living room is a 2014 Samsung Full HD smart TV. Also after I connect sound bar would I need to change sound setting on the Youview box and in apps like Amazon, Netflix and Now TV. Sound bar is mainly so sound can be improved when watching a movie. Also do the HD channels like the BBC, ITV and Channel 4 broadcast in Dolby 5.1 via Freeview and I take it the Sky Cinema Channels and on demand via the Now TV app can broadcast in Dolby 5.1.
if it works fine for me was thinking of then getting one for my sister as a new year gift for her 2019 4K Samsung smart TV.
Sorry for all the questions but just wont to know before I buy and I know some of you on here may be able to answer some of my questions.

Comments

• Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 377 ✭✭
    Whilst someone might be able to help here, I suspect you might get a more considered response on connections from the Bose forum.

https://community.bose.com/t5/forums/filteredbylabelpage/board-id/home-theater/label-name/soundbar

I believe for a soundbar to give the 5.1 experience, you will need to set the settings in the YouView box to surround sound.

Only the HD channels broadcast in 5.1, but not every programme does so.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭
    edited 19 December 2020, 10:16AM
    @Darren

Knowing which one of the 5 Bose devices you have your eye on might help us help you.

https://www.bose.co.uk/en_gb/products/speakers/soundbars.html?mc=05_PS_SP_BO_00_GO_&mc=05_PS_SL_BO_00_GO_&&mc=05_PS_WS_BO_00_GO_&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI2Y6tyYPR7QIVkN_tCh2bvwG6EAAYASAAEgLrT_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Given that the subwoofer that just about everyone else includes with just about every centre unit just about doubles or triples the cost of each Bose soundbar, they represent truly dreadful value for money even before you start listening to them. No wonder they can afford to offer zero-interest terms.

And you might also want to read up on Klarna before going that route, if that is where the easy payments come in; this is an outfit reported to have  a somewhat shaky grasp of GDPR.

On the optical versus HDMI connection front, I would go for HDMI every time. And this isn’t just a matter of buying a Bose soundbar and ignoring their suggestion of using optical; I would want to know why they were pushing optical over HDMI, because that doesn’t make any sense to me.

And so on......
    Back to my usual level of bafflement, then...
  • DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 423 ✭✭
    edited 16 December 2020, 8:03AM
    Hi @Roy thanks for your reply. This is the one I been looking at 
    https://www.qvcuk.com/Bose-TV-Speaker-with-Bluetooth-Connectivity.product.521093.html?sc=PSCH
    Amazon also sell it for about £10 dearer but they have 5 monthly payments.
    Hopefully by telling you the one I been looking at will help.
    Don't want to be spending this kind of money even if it's on monthly payments if it turns out to be no good and only improvise sound from TV/Youview box by a little bit.
    My sister did away with her Youview box when she got her 2019 Samsung 4k smart TV last year.
    edited 18 December 2020, 1:57PM
    Darren said:
    Hi @Roy thanks for your reply. This is the one I been looking at 
    https://www.qvcuk.com/Bose-TV-Speaker-with-Bluetooth-Connectivity.product.521093.html?sc=PSCH
    Amazon also sell it for about £10 dearer but they have 5 monthly payments.
    Hopefully by telling you the one I been looking at will help.
    Don't want to be spending this kind of money even if it's on monthly payments if it turns out to be no good and only improvise sound from TV/Youview box by a little bit.
    My sister did away with her Youview box when she got her 2019 Samsung 4k smart TV last year.
    @Darren

My judgement is that there is about £100-quid’s worth of soundbar there.

And note when you see the back of the soundbar on the little video, there’s a socket there for the subwoofer that would cost about double the price of the soundbar, on top.

For value, compare this list of soundbars from John Lewis:-

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwiVrLyzz9ftAhWOQEEAHbhWA-gQFjAAegQIARAD&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.johnlewis.com%2Fbrowse%2Felectricals%2Fdvd-blu-ray-home-cinema-soundbars%2Fsoundbars%2F_%2FN-7htc&usg=AOvVaw3N23TV8368ZTvwGXsvItnc

Sort it in ascending price order, ignore the first one up, and the next few will be comparable with the Bose. Get over £100, up anywhere near what the Bose is on QVC, and you will get everything the Bose has, plus a subwoofer included.

And even rear speakers on one model, though be warned wired rear speakers are a faff, best avoided.

If you can get into a John Lewis, you can probably hear one or two of these and, since they carry the Bose, maybe make a fair sound comparison.

And ask what the power output of the Bose is, as they are very coy and don’t publish this figure, which is like a car where they won’t tell you the 0-60; not a good sign.
  • DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 423 ✭✭
    edited 18 December 2020, 2:24PM
    @Roy thanks for your reply and link.
    Will have a think about it. Can’t afford to add a Bose subwoofer to the Bose soundbar as well.
    There is a John Lewis in Edinburgh 14 miles or so south from me or 20mins by train but with the current COVID restrictions. They are advising against non essential travel out of my local county just now.

Cheers @Darren

Don't even get me started on how many superior soundbars you could get for the £600 you would have to lay out for that Bose combination; the Yamaha YSP2700, successor to the YSP2500 I use, can be had for £500 😛
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭
    edited 18 December 2020, 10:10PM
    Roy said:
    Cheers @Darren

Don't even get me started on how many superior soundbars you could get for the £600 you would have to lay out for that Bose combination; the Yamaha YSP2700, successor to the YSP2500 I use, can be had for £500 😛

Yes, you do know your stuff (which means equipment).
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.