Films not running smoothly.

IvvyIvvy Member Posts: 3
Tried 'Films'  app for the first time , after having the YouView a while. However, the films just don't play successfully. It keeps stopping, or goes blank. How can I get downloaded films to play properly?

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭
    @Ivvy

I can’t find an app called ‘Films’ on my YouView box.

Do you possibly mean the NowTV app Cinema pass? Or Netflix, or Amazon Video?

And what internet speed do you have, and from what ISP, what model of YouView box do you have, and what films have you tried to watch that have failed?

Answers to these questions will hopefully make us more able to help you.
    Back to my usual level of bafflement, then...
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,040 ✭✭
    Or is @Ivvy selecting  FILMS from the main menu  (home or Youview button) .
    If so that gives a promoted set of films from various providers and if a film is selected it should launch the relevant player App  to attempt to play the film ?
    zulu17 said:
    Or is @Ivvy selecting  FILMS from the main menu  (home or Youview button) .
    If so that gives a promoted set of films from various providers and if a film is selected it should launch the relevant player App  to attempt to play the film ?
    @zulu17

Good thought! In which case, we have to know exactly what films, as they could all be coming from different sources. And hopefully, it couldn’t be that all the possible sources could be bad, on a YouView box that was otherwise working OK.
  • IvvyIvvy Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for all your inputs . I am not very good at this technology! I had another look. I see at the top of the screen that it has TalkTalk Tv, my internet. My TV is connected to the internet via an electric socket to the phone line- BT. I think I have that correct! I can get BBC iPlayer etc, fine. I think the films are coming from different sources. 
  • IvvyIvvy Member Posts: 3
    But I do have YouView!
    Ivvy said:
    But I do have YouView!
    Hold on to that happy thought.

I think your ISP is TalkTalk. If it was BT, then you would have the BT Player on the same row as Films; do you?

But anyway, go to Settings (Up arrow to the top right of the screen) , then in Settings down to INFORMATION & RESET/Device Information, and click on it.

What do Manufacturer and Model there say?

In a browser (phone, tablet or PC) open a new tab, input fast.com

What internet speed does it show?

And yes, Films come from all different sources, so we would need to know which ones, exactly, aren’t working.

I just started The Godfather, which is on the BBC iPlayer, under Films; it took 15 seconds to start playing, and played just fine.

And since you say you can get the BBC iPlayer OK, try starting this film from Films, and let us know how you get on, along with the other results from above,