bt you view box

BassBass Member Posts: 4
before I get in touch with BT, I pay £14.50 a month for entertainment plus you view box, my wife and I are pensioners been with BT for thirty years we are trying to reduce my bill from  £93.00 a month. bt sports  £14.00 month I don't Watch on TV. I watch sports on laptop, any ideas please. 

Comments

• John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 671 ✭✭
    edited 4 January 2021, 2:31PM
    Hi Bass,
    Welcome to the Youview forum.

£93 per month?! My eyes starting watering at the price. I think you have been paying "slightly" too much for some time. The average price inc. telephone/broadband is approx £30 per month. Extra channels added to the cost.

Do you just want the standard channels & save yourself £1116 per year? Hence you can save money for paying other important yearly bills! If so, cancel your subscription with BT, subject to BT's updated terms & conditions they may charge for keeping box or want it returned. First read your contract/contact BT for more advice. If you still have recordings, watch these before cancelling contract, especially the ones on the extra subscription channels. I appreciate everyone has different views/uses of Youview box, so the choice is yours Bass. If it was me, I won't pay more than £10 max per month for extra channels. I think Now TV offer better deals if this is what you require. Might be worth checking.

You can easily pick up another Youview BT Dtr-T4000 box (nearly new/refurb/used) online for say £58+ (or less - yours to keep without monthly fees). One excellent High Street retailer CEX, sell online with 2 year warranty, BT DTR-T4000 500GB YouView Ultra HD 4K, B - CeX (UK): - Buy, Sell, Donate (webuy.com)

just to give you some idea of price. If you still want some of the extra channels, ask BT/or any other provider for what deals they can offer or . . . as Martin Lewis would say  . . .  shop around! Bass, hopefully I may have given you some help. I'm sure many other regular Youview users will also add to the topic.
    Good luck! John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 461
    edited 4 January 2021, 2:47PM
    You need to leave BT or "threaten" to.
    You are bring overcharged. 
    Lots of offers at the moment with BT charging £25 for fibre. 
    Sports will cost, usually around £35 for a now Sports pass on which you can watch on up to 6 devices. 
    But even a Sky broadband/sports subscription with state of the art q box should come in for under £70.
    On the laptop there are a myriad of free apps that offer sports so savings are definitely there to be made.
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • BassBass Member Posts: 4
    cheers people. I do have a Samsung smart tv, bt you view box and bt router I'm not bothered about the extra channels and recording what happens if I remove the you view box? re- bt expensive monthly bills  £93.00 a month 
    edited 4 January 2021, 3:40PM
    Bass said:
    cheers people. I do have a Samsung smart tv, bt you view box and bt router I'm not bothered about the extra channels and recording what happens if I remove the you view box? re- bt expensive monthly bills  £93.00 a month 
    Hi Bass,
    The box will still work after cancelling contract but without the extra channels. I'm not a subscriber, I own my own box that I purchased from a shop, but from what I understand, you used to be able to keep your Youview box once you left the contract. You will need to contact BT & ask them more details about this.

Hopefully Bass, you will be able to keep your box & only lose the subscription channels function after cancelling contract. It's the small print details in the terms & conditions that you signed some time back. If you have to return the box, you will lose all recordings, but worth saving money if you don't need the extra channels!! If you are lucky to keep the box, you keep all your recordings LESS the ones recorded from extra subscription channels. BT might even make a small charge to keep the box. Be interested to know how you get on. 

Good luck. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
    Cheers john I'll give it a go 
    John L re - bt you view box. Just checked bt the cost of leaving contract, if joined bt after 13th December 2019 you must return any bt hub or bt tv box, or get charged. Happy days my gun is loaded  JL
    Bass, just to add, join a new broadband ISP like Plusnet and get a free router! This is yours to keep! If this is not powerful enough, simply purchase a more powerful router from say pcworld etc. Hopefully I may have helped you to try and save money. Good luck! 2021 is the year of saving money! John L
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 520 ✭✭
    Best number to call BT on is 0800 800030