People phoning pretending their BT

Ken Hill1Ken Hill1 Member Posts: 186 ✭✭
Just before Christmas I had a I call From BT Fan fawr going to cut my TV my broadband and my phone off Off so I phoned 150 Customer service And they did not know No anything about this And there's phone calls going around to customers telling them the same thing that I have had May block the number But just after Christmas I got another call The same thing So I just put the phone down Anyone else had call who is not from BT saying They are going to be cut off Off beat eat army it's going around the country A lot To customers

Comments

• kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 461
    Hi Ken
    Sadly these types of call are rampant at the moment. 
    Its usually your Amazon account is about to renew or the legendary your broadband will be disconnected if you don't call immediately. 
    Thank god we have call protect from BT as these nuisance calls 📞 are getting beyond a joke.
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • onceuponatimeonceuponatime Member Posts: 25
    Pretty standard, often from "Openreach", I've had a slightly different one from "Sky refunds dept." recently. There's also the similar "we've detected a problem with your computer".
    There's almost no point blocking the number as another one will pop up next time. I don't give out the landline number so it's nearly all scams when it rings, I think it's polite to drag out the call to waste their time and give them less chance to scam others.

You've got the right response though, always hang up and call the proper customer services number. Don't give out any personal or bank details or let them connect to your PC.
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 367 ✭✭
    edited 8 January 2021, 1:26PM
    The BT is quite convincing as they say they can "prove" they can cut you off. They ask you to put the phone down and try dialling someone. Of course you can't as they are still on the line, on mute, as the person initiating the call terminates the call. They then put the phone down and call you back and ask for payment again.

Not sure what this has to do with YouView though?
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 461
    edited 8 January 2021, 2:34PM
    Its a community spirited warning to those that might fall for it.
    "It" being the scam calls 📞 
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 419 ✭✭
    edited 8 January 2021, 7:15PM
    There are too many different scams been going about in the last year. Phone  calls as well as emails and it's sad some scammers seem to be getting away with it.
    Some of the junk emails I been getting seem to still go in to my inbox even though I got set to go in to my junk or junk email folder.
    In just over the last year we now very rarely use the landline to make calls and at times now don't even have a phone plugged in to the phone socket.
    @kodikid Whilst I appreciate the warning, there are other avenues for warning people which are of a more generic nature than a forum dedicated to issues with YouView devices.

I subscribe to a number of forums for specific issues and I prefer these forums to stay to stay on track. 

I have seen this scam reported so many times over the years that I'm surprised some still see this as new. 
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 January 2021, 10:32PM
    The BT is quite convincing as they say they can "prove" they can cut you off. They ask you to put the phone down and try dialling someone. Of course you can't as they are still on the line, on mute, as the person initiating the call terminates the call. They then put the phone down and call you back and ask for payment again.

Not sure what this has to do with YouView though?
    @kodikid Whilst I appreciate the warning, there are other avenues for warning people which are of a more generic nature than a forum dedicated to issues with YouView devices.

I subscribe to a number of forums for specific issues and I prefer these forums to stay to stay on track.

I have seen this scam reported so many times over the years that I'm surprised some still see this as new. 
    :D

edited to quote in full
    @jonesh, if you are going to quote me, quote me in full. I gave an opinion to the OP and queried the relevance to YouView, and then answered @kodikid I dont feel my answers conflict each other, which I think is what you are trying to imply.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭
    I've edited my post to quote you in full @Stevef_fr8ys.
    My attempts at humour often seem to backfire :/.
    Something has been nagging at the back of the brain regarding the line clearing. 
    A Google search suggests that the time taken for the recipient to clear the line was 2 to 3 minutes. There was a proposal to reduce this to 10 seconds and a further to 2 seconds, but I can't find confirmation this was implemented, to avoid this type of scam or indeed if it is only BT that were doing this.