Leaving for greener pastures

johnnyshankjohnnyshank Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
 I have signed up to SKY and will no longer use YOUVIEW, I'm with TALKTALK until I get my box and to be honest I think TALKTALK have lost complete interest in YOUVIEW and I can't see it lasting much longer. So goodbye and the best of luck for the future.

Comments

• redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭
    Good luck with Sky, if you can afford the subscription prices and suffer the long-term contracts then it is a decent proposition. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,803 ✭✭✭
    redchiz said:
    Good luck with Sky, if you can afford the subscription prices and suffer the long-term contracts then it is a decent proposition. 
    And give the box back the moment your contract is up....

Maybe put the TalkTalk YouView box in the loft, against the day that ever comes to pass?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • johnnyshankjohnnyshank Member Posts: 83 ✭✭
    TALKTALK have made it abundantly  clear that they want their Box and Router back.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    edited 10 February 2021, 12:12PM
    The TalkTalk T&Cs are here:
    Section 7.2 makes it abundantly clear that says:
    7.2  All such necessary equipment will be owned by us apart from the following equipment which you will own:
    (a)  any router and/or set top box that we send you as part of a new service with us

edit: The document is dated 17th August 2020, so if they haven't changed the T&Cs since then, it looks like the box and router are yours.
  • DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 512 ✭✭
    edited 10 February 2021, 12:31PM
    Hope all goes well with your move to Sky.
    I was surprised to get an email from BT saying your BT contracts are up for renewal soon as I only renewed just under 11 months ago and thought Now TV was for a min 24 months with BT. Although I would keep Youview and both my Youview boxes. I now thinking if I don't get offered a good BT fibre deal this time round then maybe looking elsewhere for my fibre FTTC and just getting Now TV direct from them. 
    Virgin is in my area but have heard some like Virgin and some dont.
    Would not be looking at moving to TalkTalk of FTTC as have heard too many mixed stories about them.
    Hopefully BT will give me a a good deal this time round.

Darren
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 454 ✭✭
    TALKTALK have made it abundantly  clear that they want their Box and Router back.
    If they have replaced your original box or router during your contract they can ask for it back.

I saw recently they replaced a box for someone who was leaving within 4 weeks and the condition was it was sent back.
    I was under the impression that TalkTalk equipment is yours to keep, although what @Stevef_fr8ys says makes perfect sense also.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Yes. The next bit says:
    If we choose to replace your router or set top box outside of any warranty period (which is usually 12 months) without charging you for it, we’ll own such replacement equipment, unless we agree otherwise.
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 650 ✭✭
    edited 10 February 2021, 3:12PM
    Darren said:
    Hope all goes well with your move to Sky.
    I was surprised to get an email from BT saying your BT contracts are up for renewal soon as I only renewed just under 11 months ago and thought Now TV was for a min 24 months with BT. Although I would keep Youview and both my Youview boxes. I now thinking if I don't get offered a good BT fibre deal this time round then maybe looking elsewhere for my fibre FTTC and just getting Now TV direct from them. 
    Virgin is in my area but have heard some like Virgin and some dont.
    Would not be looking at moving to TalkTalk of FTTC as have heard too many mixed stories about them.
    Hopefully BT will give me a a good deal this time round.

Darren

Darren type in Virgin media reviews. Or check out watchdog or Martin Lewis 
    On Trust pilot they get a record 90% negative rating. 
    Since Liberty acquired Virgin it's been horrendous. 
    If you do renew with BT and have the smart hub 2 ask them for a free disc. Have this setup myself and it really is the best on the market. 

Ignore this if you disagree. 
    jonesh said:
    The TalkTalk T&Cs are here:
    Section 7.2 makes it abundantly clear that says:
    7.2  All such necessary equipment will be owned by us apart from the following equipment which you will own:
    (a)  any router and/or set top box that we send you as part of a new service with us

edit: The document is dated 17th August 2020, so if they haven't changed the T&Cs since then, it looks like the box and router are yours.
    They can change the T&Cs subsequently for newer customers until they are blue in the mouth, but the T&Cs that rule are the ones that were in force on the day the user agreed to be supplied with the equipment.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    I don't think it's unreasonable to ask someone who has just got a box and then ships out a few weeks later to send it back. I am sure there are other T&Cs covering that sort of thing e.g. minimum term etc. but I can't be arsed checking. The fact is that in most circumstances I have seen TT allow you to keep the equipment. Quite a distinguishing feature compared to the competition. 
    redchiz said:
    I don't think it's unreasonable to ask someone who has just got a box and then ships out a few weeks later to send it back. I am sure there are other T&Cs covering that sort of thing e.g. minimum term etc. but I can't be arsed checking. The fact is that in most circumstances I have seen TT allow you to keep the equipment. Quite a distinguishing feature compared to the competition. 
    BT used to make it clear that the box was yours whether you wanted it or not, but an early termination fee was due if you quit early.
    And they have subsequently changed their T&Cs to make clear that the box is never yours. Of course that cannot be backdated, but I had a raging argument with them on behalf of my parents whose arrangement predated that. They have always sailed close to the wind with dodgy practice about returns at BT, have they not? 
    The only consistent thing with both TalkTalk and BT, is their inconsistency!

TalkTalk probably have some algorithm on whether equipment can be reused or not dependent upon the age of any replacement, and whether a customer keep such replacement.
    I'm sure that played a part in the 4 week old box replacement with the customer basically wanting TalkTalk to honour their commitment of a new box during their contract, when they had given notice to leave.
    Honestly I doubt it is that complicated, if you got a new box and then leave within 4 weeks then it is just taking the p if you expect to keep it. 

TalkTalk regularly confirm to their customers that they can keep their stuff as do their T&Cs. BT have historically lied about this and have now changed their rules. I don't mind criticising any supplier, but on this occasion TT come out on top, no question.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭
    The only consistent thing with both TalkTalk and BT, is their inconsistency!

That comment made me laugh out loud, because its true. And saying they are Communications companies makes it even funnier.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    Just to be clear on the situation today -

All subscription TV services have now made their equipment rental only unless it's bought up front (like say buying an Apple TV). YouView have withdrawn from the retail market due to low sales and most manufacturers in general have withdrawn from the retail PVR market, again due to low sales, believed to be somewhere around 30,000 units per year for the lot of them. So its looking like the days of independent standalone bye-off-the-shelf (deliberate spelling Roy) PVR days are numbered and digital viewing rights are just going to kick us all in the nuts.
    Our handyman, wanting to preserve his access to a recent two-part programme now showing on the BBC iPlayer, and not wishing to submit to the vagaries of whether the BBC will keep it there or not, has obtained a piece of software that will copy it onto his iMac (and no, I don’t know what it is called).

Another nail in the coffin of PVRs.....
    Not quite all @Visionman, see re. TalkTalk earlier. Although they have withdrawn issuing PVRs at present.
    @Roy To be fair the BBC usually indicate how long programmes will be available on iPlayer. As for ripping streams, blimey, where have you been?
    redchiz said:
    Not quite all @Visionman, see re. TalkTalk earlier. Although they have withdrawn issuing PVRs at present.
    As I understand it, this is for new, or upgrading customers.

If you have a PVR, and it fails, they will currently replace like for like.
    redchiz said:
    @Roy To be fair the BBC usually indicate how long programmes will be available on iPlayer. As for ripping streams, blimey, where have you been?
    Fine-tuning my Betamax recorder, why do you ask?
    😂
  • robotmanrobotman Member Posts: 192
    edited 11 February 2021, 6:05PM
    Best thing I did was moving back to Sky.
    As for Now TV, the only way to go with it is to buy directly from Now TV. Most of my friends have their Now subs that way and get some exceptional offers upon cancellation or fairly soon after their sub runs out. Why pay big money to BT/TalkTalk for Sky Lite when you get it much cheaper direct from the source.
    All the best with Sky @johnnyshank
    "Flash, Flash, I love you, but we only have 14 hours to save the Earth"
    So getting NOW TV is much cheaper than going directly with Sky? With no more than a month commitment? I agree. You should see the offers TalkTalk are making.
    I wonder why TalkTalk have stopped supplying PVRs for new customers as they have a new manufacturer supplier? So I'm not aware they are withdrawing from the pay TV market?  
    redchiz said:
    So getting NOW TV is much cheaper than going directly with Sky? With no more than a month commitment? I agree. You should see the offers TalkTalk are making.

Oh go awwnn then. :)
    Visionman said:
    I wonder why TalkTalk have stopped supplying PVRs for new customers as they have a new manufacturer supplier? So I'm not aware they are withdrawing from the pay TV market?  
    Oh stop pretending you know what you're talking about!
    Visionman said:
    All boosts are being withdrawn from a date to be announced. 

TalkTalk store now only do rentals. You can't purchase movies anymore.

Stevef_fr8ys said:
    All boosts are being withdrawn from a date to be announced. 

TalkTalk store now only do rentals. You can't purchase movies anymore.

Yes, which is what we know now. But tells us little about any future plans