New Router

janineljaninel Member Posts: 1
Vodafone have sent a new router but our Youview box can’t recognise it. We can use it to view but not if we want to watch a programme we missed a day or two ago. We can record.
I’ve followed all instructions to no avail. Any ideas??

Comments

• John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 766 ✭✭
    Hi @janinel, welcome to the forum,
    Have you checked the internet connection settings in the Youview settings menu? What does it tell you? Have you tried rebooting the Youview box plus also the Router? Check the enthenet cable connections. John L

Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,546 ✭✭✭
    edited 13 February 2021, 10:04AM
    @janinel

Adding to what @John L says, you can watch TV, record on your YouView box, see the EPG for future programmes and set recordings for them, because these services need only the aerial connection*.

Unlike your WiFi, where you have to teach each device the new SSID (name) and password that the router comes with**, the YouView box should just pick up that it is connected by the Ethernet cable to a new router, and ask it for a new IP address; but sometimes the box doesn’t realise things have changed, and tries to carry on with its old address.

The reboots of YouView box (touch the On/Standby button for just over 8 seconds, while the box is on but not recording, and it will do this neatly) and router (power off, wait two minutes, power on again) should bring back your catch-up services, backwards EPG, and the pretty thumbnails for programmes that YouView normally displays.

*The EPG is slightly enhanced by extra information that comes over the internet, but it does not need this.

**Though I found it easier to alter the settings on my new BT router to be the same as my previous Netgear router, rather than teach thirty devices round the house the new details, and so the thirty all worked seamlessly straight off, from the one router change.
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats