Youview box not working

Our Youview box has stopped working so we can't access any of the recordings we made. This is the second box where this has happened. Any suggestions please?

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,546 ✭✭✭
    Greetings @Ilikecake and welcome to the Community!

Can you say what make and model it is?

And can you give a more exact description of ‘not working’?

Won’t turn on at all? Gives an error message (what)? and so on.

Also worth mentioning is that if you are on subscription with BT TV or TalkTalk, then besides us, you can get support from them.
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
  • IlikecakeIlikecake Member Posts: 5
    Hi Roy, its a Humax youview box. It doesn't work in that the remote won't switch it on. We have checked the batteries in the remote and the connections to the box. Our internet provider is Virgin.

edited 17 February 2021, 1:18PM
    @Ilikecake

A Humax what? The actual model number should be on a label on the box somewhere, DTR-Tnnnn, where we need to know what numbers match the ‘nnnn’ bit.

Get your phone, and through its camera, look at the end of the remote, press a few buttons, and see if you can see it flicker.

If not, or if you can and you want to reset the remote anyway, see here:-

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/reset-your-remote-control/

Will your box turn on by pressing the actual On/Standby button on the box?

Is your box showing any lights at all?

Hold down the On/Standby button on the box itself for just over eight seconds, until it (hopefully) soft reboots. Does it? And if it does, has that fixed things?

We have more advice if the box is showing signs of life, but still not working quite right.
    The box is Humax  DTR T500-GB500GB
    I tried testing the remote with my phone as you suggested and it flickers OK
    Pressing the On/standby on the box for more than 8 sec doesn't give a flicker
    @Ilikecake

That isn’t a valid YouView box model number. Valid ones are here:-
    https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/latest-software-versions/

The remote is not supposed to respond to you pressing On/Standby on the box itself. The box is supposed to reboot.

I still don’t know if your box is showing any signs of life at all, or not.

Could it be that it is not switched on at the wall, or the power cable has come out of the box?
    I got the - in the wrong place it should be DTR-T2000/GB/500GB followed by 91-00456 made by Dolby labs Humax Youview on the front.
    Yes it was plugged in and connected at the back. I wasn't expecting the remote to respond when we pressed the on/standby on the box. What i meant when i said it didnt give a flicker was that that the light on the front of the box didn't light up after being pressed even after 8 seconds. There was a little light on which is on the back of the box.
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 766 ✭✭
    edited 20 February 2021, 3:05PM
    Ilikecake said:
    I got the - in the wrong place it should be DTR-T2000/GB/500GB followed by 91-00456 made by Dolby labs Humax Youview on the front.
    Yes it was plugged in and connected at the back. I wasn't expecting the remote to respond when we pressed the on/standby on the box. What i meant when i said it didnt give a flicker was that that the light on the front of the box didn't light up after being pressed even after 8 seconds. There was a little light on which is on the back of the box.
    Hi @Ilikecake,
    As per @roy have you managed to get your box working? It must be frustrating if you can't watch your recordings.

If not, try doing a maintenance mode option 2 reset. How do I do this I hear you ask?
    Top of this page: type maintenance mode in the search bar under help support and you should find very clear instructions on how to do this. Take your time reading notes. Once done, hopefully you will have fixed your box. Please let forum know how you get on, if you need more help. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
    Thanks John. I will have a look.