TalkTalk and Freesat

jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭

Comments

• kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 1,076 ✭✭
    Great if you have an existing dish, not so sure if it's worth it if you haven't. 
    Deacon Blue hit from October 88
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,300 ✭✭✭
    jimb said:

This is a Freesat offer only which they've decided to bundle with TalkTalk. TalkTalk themselves (on Freeview) are believed to have chosen Technicolor as their next box partner as Humax have withdrawn from YouView box manufacturing. BT have gone with Sagemcom.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 717 ✭✭
    I've just had it confirmed that this is a Freesat offer.
    TalkTalk are not providing the boxes and have no responsibility for them if the go wrong.

Also staff are now advising customers whose recordable YouView boxes fail that they will only replace them with the lite, non recordable boxes.
    Talk Talk seem in a bit of a mess at the moment. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,656 ✭✭✭
    Visionman said:
    jimb said:

This is a Freesat offer only which they've decided to bundle with TalkTalk. TalkTalk themselves (on Freeview) are believed to have chosen Technicolor as their next box partner as Humax have withdrawn from YouView box manufacturing. BT have gone with Sagemcom.
    I expect that Humax have withdrawn so they can concentrate on the unprecedented success of their Aura box 😛
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    I've just had it confirmed that this is a Freesat offer.
    TalkTalk are not providing the boxes and have no responsibility for them if the go wrong.

Also staff are now advising customers whose recordable YouView boxes fail that they will only replace them with the lite, non recordable boxes.

Why are they doing that, Steve?
    They say it's changes in the way people view TV these days. More are allegedly streaming and don't need the record function.
    Not on my circle they don't and personally very short sighted in my view! But hey, I'm only a customer and must be in a minority.
    Wonder if they asked anyone and if so, how?
    Makes me think of the NSI debacle on paying premium bond prizes by BACS, rather than cheque. The survey was on line only so the elderly felt they were excluded and still wanted cheques.

Does that mean they have given up on developing a new box?
    kodikid said:
    Does that mean they have given up on developing a new box?

Who knows?
    Well if they believe more people are streaming and not recording then it's looking pretty ominous. 
    edited 1 March 2021, 8:38PM
    They say it's changes in the way people view TV these days. More are allegedly streaming and don't need the record function.
    Not on my circle they don't and personally very short sighted in my view! But hey, I'm only a customer and must be in a minority.
    Wonder if they asked anyone and if so, how?
    Makes me think of the NSI debacle on paying premium bond prizes by BACS, rather than cheque. The survey was on line only so the elderly felt they were excluded and still wanted cheques.

By Statistical Analysis of box key presses and app usage. If you press a key, that info is then pinged back to the YouView servers. It doesn't have your name and address on it, as such, as its just one mass bag of data haulage.
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭
    Just to return to the original post  :p ...

There are 3 versions of the 4K Freesat TV Box: 500GB, 1TB and 2TB.
    I can't see many people opting to buy a 500GB box for a 4K capable box, so this promotion may be an attempt by Freesat to unload an existing stock of 500GB boxes.