Box failing

This discussion was created from comments split from: T2100 failing to get past the waking up stage.

Comments

• TonyLTonyL Member Posts: 4
    Hi Folks, this is my first mail on this community forum, I guess like most people, I joined because I'm have issues with my BT Youview DTR-T2100. I have read the comments above and this is precisely my problem.
    My box failed and I felt confident the hard disk was faulty, I removed the disk and connected it to my laptop via a SATA drive interface and was unable to read or access the disk. When the disk was in situ in the BT box, you could hear the disk constantly cycling (clicking) during the boot up sequence of the box, and eventually the boot sequence just restarted the boot process. I purchased an identical Seagate 500GB, fitted it to the unit and like ste_c explains above, I could not access the maintenance menu to perform the reletive maintenance required, the software just ran on and eventually restarted the boot sequence. I removed the new disk, fitted it to my laptop via the SATA interface kit and the disk was accessable, no problem. It was formatted as exFAT with a single partition. I returned it back to the BT Box and still unable to access the Maintenance menu (I am familiar with the access protocol for maintenance menu). I also tried to let the system boot without access maintenance (normal boot) and again, it just recycled. I removed the disk and powered up the box with the disk removed and it booted so far, and was able to access maintenance mode. It would appear to me that the problem must be some issue with the mother board. I have seen comments on this forum about capacitors on the PSU causing issues with the hard drive. Could anyone offer any guidance or advise please.
    Secondly, I believe there are three types (manufacturers) of hard drive used in these boxes, my question is, if a unit has a Seagate disk installed, can you interchange with a Toshiba and carry out the appropriate maintenance/download procedure. In other words, are the different disks interchangable with the mother board ?
    Hope someone can offer some information as I am a little bit stuck at the moment and in need of some valuable knoweledge which I feel sure available on this forum.
    Regards
    Tony Little
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    edited 3 March 2021, 7:40PM
    Hi @TonyL
    Youview boxes format the HDD using Linux partions. Apparently the new drive needs to be unformatted with no partitions before the box will accept it.
    You might find this post by @Stephen helpful:
    The different brands of drive should be interchangeable, but as always with this type of stuff, try it and see.
    Early T1x00 Youview boxes had problems with failing capacitors, but I am not aware that T2100s are similarly affected.

edit:
    The capacitor issues that T1x00 boxes suffered from were not those used in the PSU. They were the Sam Young branded ones in the main board. What is the brand of the capacitors in your T2100?
    jonesh said:
    Hi @TonyL
    Youview boxes format the HDD using Linux partions. Apparently the new drive needs to be unformatted with no partitions before the box will accept it.
    The different brands of drive should be interchangeable, but as always with this type of stuff, try it and see.
    Early T1x00 Youview boxes had problems with failing capacitors, but I am not aware that T2100s are similarly affected.

edit:
    The capacitor issues that T1x00 boxes suffered from were not those used in the PSU. They were the Sam Young branded ones in the main board. What is the brand of the capacitors in your T2100?

jonesh said:
    Hi @TonyL

edit:

Hi, Thanks ever so much for the prompt reply. I will have to check the capacitor types tomorrow, but to be fair, they look fine (no swelling or blown). I appreciate this is no technical way of diagnosis, but if I recall the comments I read about them, it referred to swelling and leakage, I see no evidence of that ?.
    I have read your recommended articles, however, until I can get the unit into maintenance mode, I cannot see a way around this issue. I am going to try and aquire a similar box from ebay and assuming the newly aquired one functions OK, I will try interchanging the disks and motherboard accordingly. By the way, I have already lost all my precious recordings on the original disks failure so trying to preserve recordings doesn't bother me with this issue.
    Again, thanks for your quick response, I will keep you updated as and when I progress. Anyadditional info would be appreciated.
    Regards
    Tony
    You don't necessarily need to be able to get into Maintenance Mode.
    If you box is working correctly it should recognise an unformatted drive and format it when you first switch it on.
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 537 ✭✭
    I have a guide for replacing the 500GB drive with a larger one , keeping recordings which is quite helpful.
    I could send it by email to you if you give me your email address by a Private Message.
    It wasn't written by me and I've never tried it but I'm confident that it works.

jonesh said:
    If you box is working correctly it should recognise an unformatted drive and format it when you first switch it on.

Hi Jonesh & Co,
    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, been a little bit busy, however, I have managed to get my T2100 up and running now. After reading your messages I felt determined to get this thing up and running so I started again with the 500GB disk I had acquired from Ebay, which worked perfectly well on my laptop via a SATA interface. I fitted it back into the box and again just let it do it's own thing but no such luck, it just kept going through the boot up and application loading process then just recycled back to the boot sequence again. I let it carry on for about 10 minutes without any success. I tried again to get to the maintenance mode by using the down key and power button etc but it wouldn't have any of that so had to think again. I had a word with a mate of mine and he explained he had a brand new 1TB 7mm 2.5" Seagate Baracuda disk he had bought for a replacement to a laptop and he offered me the use of it.
    I fitted the 1TB disk and just powered up the box and again let it do it's own thing and again, it just went into the perpetual recycling mode. Before giving up all together I thought it would not hurt trying to get to the maintenance mode and much to my surprise, it booted to the maintenance menu, I chose the last option, download from internet and wipe the disk and after a little while, it presented the config menu etc and after doing all that, I now have a fully operational upgraded 1TB T2100 Youview box.
    As you said, I would have expected the unit to identify the new disk and format it accordingly, but there was no way on earth that disk was going to auto format.
    I mentioned that I was going to acquire another T2100 from Ebay, which I did for about £45 quid and I intend to have a play around with this unit and try and get this 500GB disk to work and maybe upgrade that one also. Of cause, this unit arrived after I had fixed mine but no worries, it will come in handy. I will have to replace my mates disk which cost about £35 quid from E Buyer, which I don't think is too bad for a 1TB upgrade and getting my original box up and running. Regarding the electrolytic capacitors, the ones in my unit are also Sam Young, but as you say, they hopefully will be OK.
    Hope this post proves helpful to someone and a big thank you to you guys for taking time out to respond to my questions.
    Regards
    Tony Little.
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 766 ✭✭
    edited 9 March 2021, 1:16PM
    Hi @TonyL ,
    Agree with all other suggestions, but one thing you could try is to use a partition software on your main pc & format as per link/calculating space % according to your hard drive:

https://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/5071093/huawei-hard-drive-upgrade

You could try formatting whole drive & see if boot reads this on boot up. If not try partitioning the drive as per notes. Be interested to hear how you get on. John L

Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
    Thank you for reporting back @TonyL. A very interesting post. You've made good progress.
    I would be interested to know how you get on with your newly acquired box.

I think that Huawei boxes behave differently from Humax boxes. There have been reports that Huawei boxes format a new disk to the same size as the original, and any extra space remains unallocated. They will accept pre-formatted disks, as described in the link that you posted.
    Humax boxes, however, will accept a larger disk than the original, and format and use the whole space.
    People have reported success putting an unformatted drive in a Humax box and letting the box do its stuff. Others, as @TonyL has reported, have needed to go into Maintenance Mode to achieve a result.
    jonesh said:

Hi Jonesh & Co,
    Sorry for the delay in getting back to you, been a little bit busy, however, I have managed to get my T2100 up and running now. After reading your messages I felt determined to get this thing up and running so I started again with the 500GB disk I had acquired from Ebay, which worked perfectly well on my laptop via a SATA interface. I fitted it back into the box and again just let it do it's own thing but no such luck, it just kept going through the boot up and application loading process then just recycled back to the boot sequence again. I let it carry on for about 10 minutes without any success. I tried again to get to the maintenance mode by using the down key and power button etc but it wouldn't have any of that so had to think again. I had a word with a mate of mine and he explained he had a brand new 1TB 7mm 2.5" Seagate Baracuda disk he had bought for a replacement to a laptop and he offered me the use of it.
    I fitted the 1TB disk and just powered up the box and again let it do it's own thing and again, it just went into the perpetual recycling mode. Before giving up all together I thought it would not hurt trying to get to the maintenance mode and much to my surprise, it booted to the maintenance menu, I chose the last option, download from internet and wipe the disk and after a little while, it presented the config menu etc and after doing all that, I now have a fully operational upgraded 1TB T2100 Youview box.
    As you said, I would have expected the unit to identify the new disk and format it accordingly, but there was no way on earth that disk was going to auto format.
    I mentioned that I was going to acquire another T2100 from Ebay, which I did for about £45 quid and I intend to have a play around with this unit and try and get this 500GB disk to work and maybe upgrade that one also. Of cause, this unit arrived after I had fixed mine but no worries, it will come in handy. I will have to replace my mates disk which cost about £35 quid from E Buyer, which I don't think is too bad for a 1TB upgrade and getting my original box up and running. Regarding the electrolytic capacitors, the ones in my unit are also Sam Young, but as you say, they hopefully will be OK.
    Hope this post proves helpful to someone and a big thank you to you guys for taking time out to respond to my questions.
    Regards
    Tony Little.
    jonesh said:
    Thank you for reporting back @TonyL. A very interesting post. You've made good progress.
    I would be interested to know how you get on with your newly acquired box.

I think that Huawei boxes behave differently from Humax boxes. There have been reports that Huawei boxes format a new disk to the same size as the original, and any extra space remains unallocated. They will accept pre-formatted disks, as described in the link that you posted.
    Humax boxes, however, will accept a larger disk than the original, and format and use the whole space.
    People have reported success putting an unformatted drive in a Humax box and letting the box do its stuff. Others, as @TonyL has reported, have needed to go into Maintenance Mode to achieve a result.

Hi, actually you have raised a good point that I never really thought of. Are you suggesting that although I have fitted a 1TB disk, it may not actually give me 1TB of actual storage ?. I guess there is no real way of telling at a glance as the disk storage availability is shown as a percentage used, and not as actual GB used/available. I'm sure I recall reading a post on here about similar issues or lack of info about the disk space?
    Going forward, I would personally keep an open mind on what to expect when fitting a new hard drive based on my expeirience and what you have just explained. I have yet to open up the T2100 I got from ebay, I have it hooked up in the kitchen, putting it through trials sort of speak. I can't get my head around the ebay selling of these units, they seem so readily available at huge variety of prices, ranging from pre-owned to brand new and from about £40 to £200 quid ?. My understanding was that these T2100 are discontinued, or should I say, Curry's don't sell them any more. The one I bid for I got for £40 quid or so, looks in mint condition and the handset certainly looks brand new and came in a BT box.
    The other thing that this expeirience has done is sparked an interest in these units. I worked in IT/engineering but have been retired a few years now and really miss the challenge of getting stuck in and fixing something that has broken down.
    Anyway, thanks for your replies, if I have anything to add at a later date I will be in touch. Thanks everyone, and I will look at the formatting link above, it sounds very interesting.
    Regards
    Tony Little.
    TonyL said:
    Hi, actually you have raised a good point that I never really thought of. Are you suggesting that although I have fitted a 1TB disk, it may not actually give me 1TB of actual storage ?. I guess there is no real way of telling at a glance as the disk storage availability is shown as a percentage used, and not as actual GB used/available. I'm sure I recall reading a post on here about similar issues or lack of info about the disk space?
    There have been reports on the Forum that Humax Youview boxes make use of all the space on HDDs larger than the original, but Huawei boxes don't.
    You mentioned that the brand of capacitors in your T2100 is Sam Young @TonyL.
    Sam Young capacitors have a reputation for going off spec prematurely. Off spec capacitors can cause other components in the box to malfunction and eventually fail. HDDs have their own protection, but they can be adversely affected by off-spec caps.
    Your new HDD is working, but it is possible that your box is affected by the Sam Young curse, which might explain the failure of its original disk.
    If your original box starts to show signs of playing up, consider switching it off and removing its new HDD before it is damaged.
    Or consider getting the soldering iron out :) .
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,549 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 March 2021, 7:05PM
    @TonyL

To be working on Windows, an HDD must have been formatted for Windows use.

A YouView box will not touch such an HDD; you need a partitioning program to first bust it back to the unformatted state.

I don’t think it will even touch an HDD formatted for Linux, though ICBW.

But YouView needs the HDD partitioned in a certain way; and it will partition an unformatted HDD the way it wants it.

You could, I suppose, manually partition it that way, as has been suggested here; but why carry out this complex and error-prone process when the YouView box will automagically do it for you?
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats