Old DTRT1000 Youview Box Freezing

Grove TavernGrove Tavern Member Posts: 4
edited 4 March 2021, 1:34PM in Support
I know it's an old box now but just wondering if there's anything I might be missing before having to consign it to the big scrapyard in the sky! It has been working fine since replacing my original box (supplied as part of the original Youview trial period) back in 2012! 

For some time now my Youview box has failed to turn on but due to also getting a Freesat box at about the same time this started, I have not bothered to investigate further. Now though, with the novelty factor of Freesat wearing off (!), I have been unsuccessfully trying to resolve.

If left alone the box sits with its orange ring of light illuminated but pressing central power button or using the remote has no effect at all. Powering off/on via rear power switch (sometimes multiple times) and then quickly trying again results in the box starting, with ring of light changing to blue and the front screen showing ‘Hello’ with a blank TV display or ’please wait’ and the HUMAX title screen, with ‘Ver A7.76’ in bottom left corner. This is then as far as it gets, just hanging here.

On booting into maintenance mode and trying the ‘Factory Reset, keep recordings’ option, it has been possible to briefly get the box to function again but with it always freezing again after a short period. Similarly, the ‘Software Reset (Recommended)’ option when last tried, functioned correctly, restarting the box and successfully retuning the channels but froze again on restarting following finding & installing a software update. Now, on powering on with the ‘Vol-‘ button, the box just refuses to move on past the first maintenance mode question screen.

With the inconsistency of the boxes actions, it is leading me more towards it possibly being a hardware error rather than any problem with a software update but just not sure.

Ran out of ideas now, please advise as to what are my options.

Comments

• redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭
    I fear it is time to consign it to the scrapyard, environmentally friendly of course. It is an old box and has long ceased to be supported, or updated by YouView. 
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    redchiz said:
    I fear it is time to consign it to the scrapyard, environmentally friendly of course. It is an old box and has long ceased to be supported, or updated by YouView. 
    T1000 boxes still get maintenance updates. The most recent one is dated August 27th, 2020.

• John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 766 ✭✭
    Hi @Grove Tavern,
    I agree with @redchiz, You seem to have covered all you can do with the box. Sadly due to NewGen, this has made the box slower & underpowered. Youview should have left the old pvrs alone so they could still function longer. But, it's had a good life, I would take the hard drive out & use this as a spare hard drive for either Pc backups or possible external drive for various devices you have. You could use the DTRT1000 main case as a door stop (joking!).

As for a replacement, I would recommend CEX on the High Street or purchase via their online shop, just for their warranty. You could purchase a BT2100 Youview pvr with a  24 month warranty for around £40+ pp. A faster box & hopefully for many years more reliable. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 537 ✭✭
    Often with these old boxes it's the capacitors that fail and if you felt adventurous then this thread covers it:- https://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/7510622/change-which-caps-to-change-on-t1000-to-revive-it/p1
    John L said:
    Hi @Grove Tavern,
    I agree with @redchiz, You seem to have covered all you can do with the box. Sadly due to NewGen, this has made the box slower & underpowered. Youview should have left the old pvrs alone so they could still function longer. But, it's had a good life, I would take the hard drive out & use this as a spare hard drive for either Pc backups or possible external drive for various devices you have. You could use the DTRT1000 main case as a door stop (joking!).

As for a replacement, I would recommend CEX on the High Street or purchase via their online shop, just for their warranty. You could purchase a BT2100 Youview pvr with a  24 month warranty for around £40+ pp. A faster box & hopefully for many years more reliable. John L
    Slow and underpowered? You make it sound like a Ford Popular @John L :).
    Navigating the UI of our T1000 seemed to be faster and more responsive with the nextgen software. In particular, navigating the Guide is much quicker than it is with the Panasonic recorder that sits on the shelf below. It is a decent PVR.
    As @TimC says, the reason why some T1x00s failed prematurely was due to their capacitors going off-spec. Your box hasn't failed prematurely, but the reason why it is misbehaving now will almost certainly be due to deteriorating capacitors.
    Failing capacitors cause other components to deteriorate and fail, so at nine years old it probably isn't worth trying to save your box unless you have a special reason for doing so.
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 766 ✭✭
    Slow and underpowered? You make it sound like a Ford Popular @John L .

Oh come on @jonesh, It's the end of another week (!) At least the sun is shining outside the window, a bit cold though. 

I used to use a DTR1000 and it was "slower", not saying it didn't work at all, but eventually the machine wore out. To be honest @jonesh, I couldn't compare a newer machine with the older Dtr1000 when NextGen was introduced, machine had been replaced. Sadly you can't get all the updates now on the Dtr1000. Hence why most of the regular users recommend purchasing newer models, it's false economy to purchase an older one, when hopefully in long term the newer boxes are more reliable.

The question at the moment is how long will the newer boxes last with regards software updates? As with all technology, inc. PC's they slow down due to newer software being written, not always well written, taking up too much space, that tends to put more strain on the machine's performance. Maybe due to CPU/Dram on the older machine. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
    edited 5 March 2021, 6:43PM
    John L said:
    Slow and underpowered? You make it sound like a Ford Popular @John L .

Oh come on @jonesh, It's the end of another week (!) At least the sun is shining outside the window, a bit cold though. 

I used to use a DTR1000 and it was "slower", not saying it didn't work at all, but eventually the machine wore out. To be honest @jonesh, I couldn't compare a newer machine with the older Dtr1000 when NextGen was introduced, machine had been replaced. Sadly you can't get all the updates now on the Dtr1000. Hence why most of the regular users recommend purchasing newer models, it's false economy to purchase an older one, when hopefully in long term the newer boxes are more reliable.

The question at the moment is how long will the newer boxes last with regards software updates? As with all technology, inc. PC's they slow down due to newer software being written, not always well written, taking up too much space, that tends to put more strain on the machine's performance. Maybe due to CPU/Dram on the older machine. John L
    I assumed that you hadn't used a T1000 with Nextgen software @John L. The speed of Nextgen UI navigation on a T1000 is adequate and on a par with that of other PVRs that I use.
    The software updates aren't important to me. Being used to Panasonic devices, that rarely get updates, I was surprised that Youview boxes did. Updates or no updates, our useage of the box hasn't changed since the day that we got it.
    I have never suggested that anyone should buy a T1000 rather than a newer model. It is an interest of mine to keep useful old devices working, and it keeps them off the waste pile for a while.
    Your PC speed analogy is spurious. The primary function of a PVR is to record and playback TV programmes. If a PVR is able to do that, then the "speed" of the machine isn't particularly important. At least, it is much less important than that of a PC.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,549 ✭✭✭
    @jonesh

My criterion for the speed of a machine is that when I have a string of instructions to input, it should not take so long over the first one that I lose track of what the subsequent ones are supposed to be.

I find this requirement gets steadily more difficult with age; though whether of the machine or of its operator, I could not say......😛

Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats