Roku

kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 549 ✭✭
Tenuous connection with youview but might be of interest. 
Just bought and set up my new roku streambar.  It's basically a soundbar with 4k roku built in....it's fantastic, you don't realise how naff tv speakers are till you hear it.
Anyone thinking of adding a streaming device in the future should certainly consider one.
Ignore this if you disagree. 

Comments

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭
    edited 12 March 2021, 5:34PM
    Its best to think of flat screen TVs as having no speakers at all, as they are so thin as to pack no oomf! So its always best practice to buy a sound system with one. Glad you like yours. The difference is amazing isn't it. :)
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 549 ✭✭
     Hi Visionman 
    Difference is night and day.
    Was put off for years by the thought of yet another remote, but it's HDMI ARC (which I never knew existed) so the youview remote does both.
    The only problem is now convincing shmbo to invest in one for the lounge. 
    Maybe a bose.
    edited 12 March 2021, 10:44PM
    I use the Audio Return Channel (ARC) for my YouView connection. The difference is notable.
    Theres no need for a rip off priced Bose. Just search sound bar reviews as there are far cheaper better quality ones out there.  
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,549 ✭✭✭
    Visionman said:
    I use the Audio Return Channel (ARC) for my YouView connection. The difference is notable.
    Theres no need for a rip off priced Bose. Just search sound bar reviews as there are far cheaper better quality ones out there.  
    @Visionman

So you have your YouView box going into one HDMI input on your TV, and the sound from it (and indeed anything else you play from the TV) going out via the HDMI connection with ARC to your soundbar?

And I completely agree with you about Bose soundbars; AAMOI, do you mind saying which soundbar you chose?

We’re about to switch from our aging Yamaha YSP-2500 to an LG GX soundbar; somewhat for the look of the thing, as it matches the 65GX OLED that’s going up as well, but we will get true 5.1 with the SPK8-S wireless rears, rather than the (pretty good) attempt that the Yammy makes at this, purely from the front.
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
    edited 13 March 2021, 5:43PM
    @Roy
    I don't use a bar, Roy. I have a Panasonic cinema surround sound system which is years old (like me) (and you) but it suits. :smile:
    If I'm impressed by a soundbar then a home cinema surrounded sound is truly next level.
    Really can't see my better half agreeing to all that cabling though 🙁
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 422 ✭✭
    kodikid said:
    If I'm impressed by a soundbar then a home cinema surrounded sound is truly next level.
    Really can't see my better half agreeing to all that cabling though 🙁
    My cabling is minimal. I had so much provided in the speaker kit, I could place it around the edge of the wall, underneath the carpet, and the rear speakers, even though the wires go up the wall, are hidden behind our chairs!

Be inventive and you can get away with it!
    Good tip 
    We’re getting wireless rears, though on some of the reviews of these, people feel cheated because they are actually wired to the rear receiving unit.

It seems to have escaped their attention, though, that even if they were truly standalone, they would need a cable to carry power for the logic. Unless they were battery powered of course, which brings its own issues.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    edited 14 March 2021, 2:09PM
    Roy said:
    We’re getting wireless rears, though on some of the reviews of these, people feel cheated because they are actually wired to the rear receiving unit.

It seems to have escaped their attention, though, that even if they were truly standalone, they would need a cable to carry power for the logic. Unless they were battery powered of course, which brings its own issues.
    Sonos surround systems are wireless, in that there is no physical connection between the speakers if you only use active units.
    You can add two subs, which might be a bit OTT. Or more accurately, UTB. :D
    jonesh said:
    Roy said:

Sonos surround systems are wireless, in that there is no physical connection between the speakers if you only use active units.
    You can add two subs, which might be a bit OTT. Or more accurately, UTB. :D
    Yes, but presumably each has a wire going to the mains? One wire out in their case and mine, same difference 😛
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭
    edited 14 March 2021, 10:23PM
    Roy said:
    Yes, but presumably each has a wire going to the mains?
    Really?  :o         :)
    According to Sonos, A Sonos home cinema system brings a rich, enveloping surround sound experience to your movies, TV, games, and music library. All wirelessly.
    Is that a true statement?
    I think that it probably is, but they don't mention that a Sonos 5.1 surround system with two subs needs seven power sockets.
    There are products available that give better sound and cost less than Sonos stuff, particularly if you are prepared to put up with, or hide, a few wires.