DTR-T4000

maboatymaboaty Member Posts: 1
Hi everyone, my elderly mother can't get on with the Freeview built into her TV and wants to be able to pause and record etc. I've seen on eBay somebody is selling a BT branded "DTR-T4000" she doesn't have broadband so wondering does she need a BT subscription if I were to buy that device? Or is it as simple as plugging the aerial cable in and she can use all the features barring internet related ones lol. Any vouches for the box itself?

Only channels she watches are the standard Freeview BBC and ITV so doesn't need it to do anything major..

Thanks for the help in advance! :smiley:

Comments

• kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 549 ✭✭
    edited 16 March 2021, 7:36AM
    Hi
    You would have to take it home and then connect it to your broadband to set it up.
    Set up is not possible without broadband. Once this is done you can install it at your mums 
    Then mum can enjoy arguably the best freeview box on the market, because even though this box has BT on the front and is exactly the same as what BT subscribers enjoy it is basically a freeview box.
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,549 ✭✭✭
    maboaty said:
    Hi everyone, my elderly mother can't get on with the Freeview built into her TV and wants to be able to pause and record etc. I've seen on eBay somebody is selling a BT branded "DTR-T4000" she doesn't have broadband so wondering does she need a BT subscription if I were to buy that device? Or is it as simple as plugging the aerial cable in and she can use all the features barring internet related ones lol. Any vouches for the box itself?

Only channels she watches are the standard Freeview BBC and ITV so doesn't need it to do anything major..

Thanks for the help in advance! :smiley:

Greetings @maboaty and welcome to the Community!

Adding to what @Kodikid has said:-

Be aware that without an internet connection, the thumbnails for programmes and recordings won’t have images, but will just be black squares with white titles. But will still work pretty much just as well.

What TV has your mother got? Hopefully it is a modern widescreen TV with HDMI inputs, and at least HD Ready, if not indeed full HD, or even 4K.

The T4000 can do 4K, but not without the internet, so it would be rather wasted. It depends on what the eBay seller is asking for it; you might find a DTR-T21x0 (where x is 0, 1, or 2, doesn’t much matter) cheaper. These are HD devices, and support SCART for TVs without HDMI, and aren’t quite as quick, though not by enough to matter.

All these models are good PVRs, and despite the BT branding, don’t need a BT subscription, will work on anybody’s broadband, and will work without broadband, subject to the caveats above.

The only current PVR I know that is designed to work without any internet connection at all is the Manhattan T2-R; but at £120 this will cost 2-3 times the price of a YouView box off eBay (which are often brand new anyway) for little advantage.
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 537 ✭✭
    I bought a Panasonic HWT150 of eBay for £78 with 12months warranty a little while ago and something like the HWT130 or 150 might be a simpler option for your elderly mother. These units use lists which she might prefer and should run quite happily with no internet connection. Also the TV tuner is far more robust than those of the T4000/T2100 units and suffer far less with signal quality issues.

• kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 549 ✭✭
    In hindsight Tim has a point.
    The remote on a T4000 is not the most user friendly for a elderly mum either so maybe explore the market for a box ticker 
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 537 ✭✭
    edited 18 March 2021, 10:14AM
    The Panasonic remote is actually much better spaced than the Youview one. My 84year old neighbour as the HWT130 - on my recommendation - and gets on quite well with it, along with no internet.
    I'll just add the ease of getting to your recordings & guide - 1 button press should turn the TV on and take you directly where you want to be. Another great plus point for elderly users.