Exciting news 2

kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 549 ✭✭
edited 23 March 2021, 8:55PM in Community
Despite launching in Europe later this year HBO max will not be coming to the UK.
Obviously Sky are the reason behind this as HBO are exclusively tied to them.
Excuse any grammar mistakes as trying varifocals for the very first time. 
Hopefully the days of two sets of glasses are over. 
Ignore this if you disagree. 

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭
    TwoView?
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
  • AshAsh Member Posts: 271 ✭✭
    HBO Max is coming to the UK, but it will be delayed until 2025
    https://rxtvinfo.com/2021/hbo-max-uk-launch-delayed-until-2025

To be honest, I'm not sure I want to see another streaming service in the UK because it's just something else to pay for. If you want access to everything you want to watch. Quite frankly enough is enough
  • DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 460 ✭✭
    edited 25 March 2021, 11:02AM
    I know streaming services is the way forward but I agree. Enough is enough.
    I got enough to watch the now as it is with iPlayer, Netflix, Prime Video, Disney +. The free UK TV Play app, Now TV and some of my shows now back or coming back on Sky Witness. I do at times also use the ITV Hub.
    To get all the streaming services for all the shows you want will end up becoming very dear and you still got your broadband to pay for on top of all the streaming services.
    There is only so much TV you can watch in a week.
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 549 ✭✭
    The issue here is HBO along with showcase are the bedrock of Sky/now entertainment. 
    Going forward people won't subscribe to a service provider but will cherry pick from the increasing streaming offerings. 
    kodikid said:
    The issue here is HBO along with showcase are the bedrock of Sky/now entertainment. 
    Going forward people won't subscribe to a service provider but will cherry pick from the increasing streaming offerings. 
    @kodikid

Yes; but when the same number of cherries are spread across more and more trees, people aren’t going to want to pay for the whole orchard.

Again thats the beauty of streaming.
    Nearly all are monthly subscriptions. 
    You pick what you want when you want, your not tied to Sky for 18 months. 
    You go to a restaurant you don't eat the whole menu,  you simply choose what you want from a varied selection. 
    kodikid said:
    Again thats the beauty of streaming.
    Nearly all are monthly subscriptions. 
    You pick what you want when you want, your not tied to Sky for 18 months. 
    You go to a restaurant you don't eat the whole menu,  you simply choose what you want from a varied selection. 
    @kodikid

We need to take care to match the restaurant analogy. You don’t eat the whole menu in a conventional restaurant, true, but you only pay for what you actually eat.

There are streaming services that work like this (Amazon non-Prime, Apple I think), but most of them are ‘all you can eat’ menus, e.g. Netflix, Now, Amazon Prime, Britbox, and a ‘sitting’ is a month, not an evening or less.

So the granularity is less than a continuing subscription, but much greater than a single programme, or even a series of programmes.

So we may see a shift away from even the month by month model, towards per-programme (episode or series) purchasing.

We have already dug our heels in here; we watched the initial two series of The Bureau on Amazon Prime, and wanted to watch the later series; but they are/were on Sundance, which we declined to pay for, just for this one show.
    And it looks like we were not alone, as Sundance has now foregone its UK presence.

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 March 2021, 12:28AM
    People tend to switch from service to service (I know I do) so I don't see an issue. Its another choice and a strong one at that. But believe me, the prices are going to rocket. Disney are global megamania bastards and once they are established will try to crush everyone, which is not good or healthy.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 26 March 2021, 1:49AM
    Totally agree. 
    I really just don't get the rationale that more choices and therefore competition is a bad thing. 
     There is only so much tv you can watch in a week is a really bizarre thing to say, there is only so many books you can read or so many roads you can drive , completely irrational logic. 
    edited 26 March 2021, 10:09AM
    kodikid said:
    Totally agree. 
    I really just don't get the rationale that more choices and therefore competition is a bad thing. 
     There is only so much tv you can watch in a week is a really bizarre thing to say, there is only so many books you can read or so many roads you can drive , completely irrational logic. 
    But it isn’t ‘the rationale that more choices and more competition is a bad thing’.

It’s ‘the rationale that more competition but only the same number of choices is a bad thing’, as what we used to watch on a manageable handful of choices, and therefore a manageable handful of subscriptions, fragments across many more providers, and so costs more for the same amount of programming.

’The Bureau’ moving from Amazon, which we were paying for, to Sundance, which would have required a further subscription just so we could watch what we were watching before on Amazon alone, makes my point exactly.

And don’t get me started on Disney+ versus Now, or HBO versus Now, or even the BBC iPlayer versus Britbox, whose paid-for presence relieves the BBC of the pressure to put more of its back catalogue on the ‘free’ iPlayer.

Capiche?