Restricted programs

pharroypharroy Member Posts: 8

Can anyone please tell me how the ‘Rating’ in Restricted Rated Programmes’ works. Where does the rating come from, because on Youview, the only form of rating I can see in the information field is a G encased in a circle for any program deemed to be possibly unsuitable for some people. The options on Youview restricted menu are PG and over, 12 and over, 15 and over and 18, where in the guide does it show these sort of ratings? On Youview, it doesn’t seem to matter what rating I apply, everything seems to be watchable. Am I doing something wrong, or am I just not understanding how this option works?

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
  • pharroypharroy Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for responding Roy. Yes I have set a pin, and I have read, and thought I understood the concept, but it doesn’t seem to matter which rating I set, pg and over, 12 and over etc, it never asks for the pin, no matter what content the programme contains. I would have thought that if you set it to say, 12 and over for example, programmes containing adult themes or similar content, it should ask for the pin, but it doesn’t. As I said in my previous post, I don’t know how programmes are rated by the broadcaster, on the information screen, any programme requiring caution has a G encased in a circle. If you change the rating setting does it take effect instantly, or do you need to turn the box off for it to take effect?
    @pharroy

As regards watching, we need a specific example of an upcoming programme, what rating it is, what rating you have set, and what you expect to happen.

I have set :-

Adult Channel & Categories: Hide
    RRP: On
    Rating: PG and over
    Guidance and Watershed: On

and a recording of The Shape of Water, tonight at 21:00 on Film4, which is G rated, and I expect to be challenged when I try to watch it tomorrow.

Can you do the same, and see what happens?
    Are you saying that these ratings only apply for recordings and not for normal tv programmes, perhaps that is my problem.

Roy, I think it has finally dawned, I have just been very naive or even silly. I was assuming that you could pin protect programmes after the watershed on the chance that children could be about after 21.00. I think I now see that you can protect any programme recorded after the watershed or presumably catch-up. I suppose I was thinking about things like the IPlayer, My5 etc. where you can pin protect, but of course they are effectively recordings aren’t they. Sorry for wasting your time, many thanks for your help.
    edited 26 March 2021, 6:47PM
    @pharroy

No, I am not saying that at all 😢

Rating, in RRP/Control Channels, clearly refers to ‘watch’.

G&W refers to ‘recorded’; I just used this for my test on SoW, as it was the only programme with a G that I could find in a hurry. And also, it is after the watershed, so either count should request the Parental Pin to watch the recording.

But if you can kindly find me a few programmes that are rated restricted PG 15 or 18, and not just G, I can experiment further. I don’t have an easy method of finding any such, but you must, I guess.

I did find Taskmaster (PG versions) with a YouView Search, and started one on UKTV Play, catch-up, but I wasn’t asked for a Parental PIN, which I think I should have been. 

The app says it is using the Parental Guidance servings of the YouView box, but UKTV Play on my iPad only restricts 15 and/or 18 material, so maybe PG doesn’t count here?

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 March 2021, 6:05PM
    Just for info - Streamed or recorded content didn't used to be rated at all. Then (many years ago) OFCOM realised TV was shifting more and more towards the internet. And it is, as Digital UK sells off its Freeview spectrum to phone providers.

In regard to the enforced PIN, its enforced by OFCOM and beyond the control of TV broadcaster platforms, including YouView. They make them do it.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    Thanks for that, I’ll try and have a look and a play over the weekend, so don’t waste any more time until I get back to you. Many thanks
    edited 26 March 2021, 7:17PM
    pharroy said:
    Roy, I think it has finally dawned, I have just been very naive or even silly. I was assuming that you could pin protect programmes after the watershed on the chance that children could be about after 21.00. I think I now see that you can protect any programme recorded after the watershed or presumably catch-up. I suppose I was thinking about things like the IPlayer, My5 etc. where you can pin protect, but of course they are effectively recordings aren’t they. Sorry for wasting your time, many thanks for your help.
    I’m not sure you are being silly, it’s all as clear as mud. 

As far as I can see, with a rating set, you can watch any live programme with no rating or a lower rating than the limit you have set, without being asked for the Parental PIN, but you will be asked it for ratings at or higher than the one you have set. And being before or after the watershed doesn’t make any difference to this.

But for recorded programmes, any you would be challenged for live will be challenged for if you try to watch the recording; and in addition, you will be challenged for any programme recorded after the watershed, rating or not, if you try to watch it. Even The Sky At Night 😛

And for catch-up, the rules are those operated by the individual Players, not by YouView, except where the Player picks up the YouView rules, as UKTV Play claims to do; the BBC and itv use the YouView rules, All4 doesn’t.

Can’t find anything to suggest how programmes are rated, as I have said before, anything deemed cautionary just has a G on it. I suspect the programmes are not rated PG and over,12 and over etc. on Youview.

Last night I did as you suggested and set :-

Adult Channel & Categories: Hide
    RRP: On
    Rating: PG and over
    Guidance and Watershed: On

I then tried to watch The Shape of Water at on Film4, which is G rated, 

and I was not asked for any pin.

I think it only works with programmes recorded after the watershed and I think that is based on Guidance and Watershed being set to ‘On’. I also think that, as far as Youview is concerned, after the watershed there are no restrictions as it is understood that, if you watch anything after 21.00, it is possible to have unsuitable content. I suppose as long as there is a warning they feel they have given you every opportunity to not watch.

I think it’s time to call it a day, as you said, it’s all as clear as mud, so don’t waste any more time investigating. May I take this opportunity to sincerely thank you for the time and effort you have spent trying to resolve my concerns.

Kind regards

• zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,043 ✭✭
    Suspect  that the Freeview live channels simply rely upon following the Ofcom watershed regulations.

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,020 ✭✭✭
    pharroy said:

Can’t find anything to suggest how programmes are rated

Ah! Now I've realised what your getting at. Basically, if you want to watch or record rated content anything before the 9pm watershed you will be asked for a pin. If you want to watch or record any rated content after, you won't.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.

If you have the  ‘Guidance and watershed’ set to ‘On’, I think the following happens:-

If you record a programme after the watershed be it rated or even not rated (say The Sky at Night) and try to watch it before the watershed you will be asked for a pin.

If you watch a programme after the watershed you will not be asked for a pin, irrespective of the rating.

If you record and then watch a rated programme after the watershed, you would not be asked for a pin.

If you record or watch a rated programme before the watershed, I assume that the Restricted Ratings Programme categories would kick in and ask for a pin, but I don’t know.

I’m sure that is as clear as mud, but I think it’s as far as my understanding goes or wants to go and I’m sorry I started the conversation now.

Thanks everyone for your input.

edited 29 March 2021, 1:57PM

I’ve started, so I’ll finish. My settings are as in the posting above.

@pharroy conjectures:-

If you have the  ‘Guidance and watershed’ set to ‘On’, I think the following happens:-

If you record a programme after the watershed be it rated or even not rated (say The Sky at Night) and try to watch it before the watershed you will be asked for a pin.

I recorded ‘The Shape of Water’, with a G but nothing more specific, two nights ago.

I have an earlier recording of John Wick, shown after the watershed but not rated in any way.

Watching either yesterday before the watershed, both asked for the PIN.

If you watch a programme after the watershed you will not be asked for a pin, irrespective of the rating.

Watching SoW again last night after the watershed, I was not asked for a PIN. (I wondered if this was because I had already given one, but this morning it asked for a PIN again, so it wasn’t that, and must be the rule above).

However, trying to watch a ‘Taskmaster (PG rated)’ episode on UKTV Play catch-up, also after the watershed, did ask for a PIN. (This is what I expected would have happened trying to watch the recording of SoW, even after the watershed, though it didn’t; maybe UKTV have misinterpreted the rules here in the same way that I would have).

If you record and then watch a rated programme after the watershed, you would not be asked for a pin.

I haven’t tried this, but I would likewise expect not to be asked for a PIN, based on the above, as this just drops to a case of ‘watching a recorded rated programme after the watershed’.

If you record or watch a rated programme before the watershed, I assume that the Restricted Ratings Programme categories would kick in and ask for a pin, but I don’t know.

Such a programme is hard to find on terrestrial TV, so I haven’t been able to test this, but I’m pretty sure the above is how it is intended to work.

Once again many thanks to all that helped me hopefully understand what is going on, particularly Roy. Stay safe.