app problem

paddyb58paddyb58 Member Posts: 1
Cant now access Youtube.  The app has vanished also same for Amazon Prime
My TV is a Sony Bravia KD-49x8305C
 Youview Model DTRT200. 
Variant  84B07000
Identifier DCD321-DTRT200-07133133
I really dont like this upgrade - have to click too many times to get to where I want
If it works why fix it? 
To keep yourselves in a job?

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,622 ✭✭✭
    Greetings, @paddyb58 and welcome to the Community!

IIRC, YouTube has never been on any YouView box, and Amazon Prime isn’t on the T2000s.

Or is this an issue on the Sony TV, where these apps would be outside YouView’s remit, and you would need to take this up with Sony?

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/bd-p/Android_TV

If you treat the new UI as still having the old menu, but now presented vertically, with a lot of extraneous gubbins you can ignore to the right of each menu item, you will, I think, have a maximum of one extra click to get anywhere.

But you have to remember that we users are no longer YouView’s customers; instead BT and TalkTalk are. And they must have sanctioned, maybe even requested, this new UI, so we should perhaps direct our ire towards them.

YouView have considerable form in the unwanted UI changes area, though, so things may well worsen in the future,
    Supporting YouView on Sony TVs is like nailing jelly to a herd of cats
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 574 ✭✭
    Can't speak for TalkTalk but no BT subscribers have the new set up on the T4000. 
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 428 ✭✭
    Not on TalkTalk yet either @kodikid
    @kodikid @Stevef_fr8ys

A paradox that bears some thinking about. 

So YouView’s customers haven’t got this new UI, but we T2000 owners, largely a group whose relationship with YouView is unclear, have.

So is it the old guinea-pig thing? If we make enough noise, will BT and TalkTalk decide, perhaps, that it would be best to quietly tiptoe away from adopting this new UI? 

Indeed, since we know that YouView can toggle the new UI on and off with a simple switch, without changing the release we are on, will YouView back off, throw the switch back for everyone, and have another think?
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 428 ✭✭
    Roy said:
    @kodikid @Stevef_fr8ys

A paradox that bears some thinking about. 

So YouView’s customers haven’t got this new UI, but we T2000 owners, largely a group whose relationship with YouView is unclear, have.

Yes, and we will have privately bought these so we own them. As I've seen mentioned before, private boxes are being hijacked by YouView for their own purposes and not for the customers benefit.

So is it the old guinea-pig thing? If we make enough noise, will BT and TalkTalk decide, perhaps, that it would be best to quietly tiptoe away from adopting this new UI? 

I very much doubt it. When was the last time YouView reversed anything they have put into trials? There have been a lot of vociferous voices railing against this home page and yet it is still rolled out to retail boxes. Even when there were many voiced against it, when it was accidentally (really???) released and reversed, it is still rolled out.

Indeed, since we know that YouView can toggle the new UI on and off with a simple switch, without changing the release we are on, will YouView back off, throw the switch back for everyone, and have another think?

If the homepage can be switched, you would hope that YouView would give the user the ability to choose the layout they prefer. this ability should be highlighted when boxes are updated and not hidden away. Youview would then be able to do a sweep of the boxes to gauge how many people change it back. Unfortunately you will always get those who just accept the change not realising they could change the settings, so they would still claim it a success.

I hope @Sarah is feeding these comments back, but maybe she too is being ignored

edited 3 May 2021, 8:18PM
    Or maybe it has nothing to do with BT and  TalkTalk. 
    Just those pesky retailer's at youview towe..sorry shed trying to justify their increasingly pointless existence. 
    kodikid said:
    Or maybe it has nothing to do with BT and  TalkTalk. 
    Just those pesky retailer's at youview towe..sorry shed trying to justify their increasingly pointless existence. 
    Well, let’s be very clear about a few things here.

The continued operation of YouView boxes depends totally on YouView’s servers continuing to run; if YouView goes phut, we are all suddenly left with boat anchors. Unless BT keep it going, and mount the same sort of rescue for the service in general that they mounted for the YouView app.

I am very mindful that while my pre-YouView, and very unsmart, DigitalStream PVR was entirely unaffected by the demise of DigitalStream, beyond it becoming ‘functionally stabilised’, as the euphemism for no more updates and no more support has it, YouView boxes would not survive the demise of YouView at all well.
    Keep it going no question about that.
    But why this new UI?
    It wasn't asked for or needed 
    It certainly won't attract new retail customers, 
    It has no actual improvements 
    So one can only assume it was change for changes sake.