Plusnet no longinger offering Youview TV?

Michael HronsMichael Hrons Member Posts: 22
I have Plusnet Fiber Broadband and phone but use Sky for my TV Provider,but its getting more and more expensive,so I am looking for a more affordable alternative.What are my options with Youview,and could I feasably keep my plus net router, and supply my own Humax box as I have a BT phone line?The Humax 2100 with 500GB hard drive can be bought on ebay now?Anyone have any thoughts about this?  Michael

Comments

• Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 571 ✭✭
    @Michael Hrons
    Of course you can. Just be aware that the Humax Youview units are subjected to frequent unwanted and disliked updates, whereas non-Youview units from Humax aren't and neither are Panasonic or Manhattan units.
  • BawmerBawmer Member Posts: 56 ✭✭
    Please note that not all updates are unwanted necessarily disliked. Just the previous posters opinion.
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 621 ✭✭
    Personally I would go for the 4K T4000. 
    Remember though that these boxes don't have Wi-Fi, something to consider if your router and tv are not neighbours. 
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • Michael HronsMichael Hrons Member Posts: 22
    I dont have a 4K tv
    While getting a quote from BT for Broadband and TV i specifically asked BT if I could use my own Humax Box and my Plusnet router,I was told that I couldnt,and would have to use the BT supplied Router and Box?is that correct?
    Secondly I was told that I couldnt use a second recordable box in the bedroom,and could onlu use the Non recordable box ?is this true?
    Has anyone any knowledge of this,I didnt get the impression when I spoke to TakTalk that I couldnt use my own box{s} and Plusnet Router!  Michael
    BT are correct in saying you can't use your Plusnet router, as for the rest it depends what you wanted from BT.
    If you don't want their subscription channels ie BT TV, then you can use want you want as a Freeview recorder and as many as you like anywhere in the house.
    Let us know what you want BT to supply and then we can help further.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,714 ✭✭✭
    I dont have a 4K tv
    That’s OK - these boxes will still do HD, and do it faster than the 2xxx boxes, and you will be future-proofed for when/if you do get a 4K TV.
    ‘For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like’
    kodikid said:
    Personally I would go for the 4K T4000. 
    Remember though that these boxes don't have Wi-Fi, something to consider if your router and tv are not neighbours. 
    Remember also that YouView boxes need a terrestrial aerial.

Which, it you have only a Sky dish at present, you will need to factor in.
    edited 9 May 2021, 8:48PM
    While getting a quote from BT for Broadband and TV i specifically asked BT if I could use my own Humax Box and my Plusnet router,I was told that I couldnt,and would have to use the BT supplied Router and Box?is that correct?
    Secondly I was told that I couldnt use a second recordable box in the bedroom,and could onlu use the Non recordable box ?is this true?
    Has anyone any knowledge of this,I didnt get the impression when I spoke to TakTalk that I couldnt use my own box{s} and Plusnet Router!  Michael
    Yes, for BT TV, you need the BT router, probably for technical reasons, like multicast. And yes, for BT TV, you need to take their YouView box, but purely for commercial reasons.

But do you really want BT TV? It is practically just a resale channel for NowTV  now, which you can get direct from Now, usually at better prices, with BT’s USP being their telephone support, which Now don’t do, and the ability to record Now channels.

And if you take multi-room from BT, then yes you get only a zapper box; but if you don’t take multiroom and use your existing box as a second box, then you can, if you wish, swap which box is the one BT TV works with at will. The only constraint being that stuff recorded from BT channels will only work when that box is the designated one. 

Or maybe you can take multiroom, and swap your existing recording box in instead of the zapper, and record BT channels on both simultaneously; but I am less sure about this,

But if you have Now from BT, then you can certainly sign in on both YouView boxes, and indeed on any six devices you have, at any one time, and watch different stuff on two of them, or three if you take the Now Boost, though you can only record on the designated BT TV box (or boxes?)

Perhaps somebody else can explain the permutations with BT Sport though, if you want this, as I don’t know them.

I have BT as my ISP, have never taken BT TV, have several YouView boxes, and a direct Now subscription; that’s enough for us, as we aren’t into paid sport subscriptions. 

For ages, I used a Netgear Nighthawk as my router with BT, as the BT Home Hub kept failing, though I think maybe BT would not have supported that with BT TV.

But now I have 500Mbps Superfast Fibre, I have a BT Home Hub with it that I think I have to use; but it’s rock solid, and and it was free, as was the VOIP adapter that lets us continue using our existing DECT landline phones, as there is no separate landline here anymore. So I’ve packed the Nighthawk away, as I have no reason to argue the toss about it with BT, and several reasons not to 😛
  • DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 492 ✭✭
    edited 9 May 2021, 9:53PM
    Yes you can record Now channels if you take Now from BT.
    As @Roy says do you really want BT TV. 
    You will also get the AMC channel with BT TV but is it worth it. Last time I watched the AMC channel was during the Christmas holidays 2020 and that was for a movie.
    Its no longer worth getting multi room from BT as you can watch the Now channels via the Now app on another TV if you have the Now app on your Plusnet Box.
    I myself im finding since getting the Fire TV HD 2020 version at the end of January that im using that more for apps then I am my two Youview boxes.
    I still at times record TV shows for the likes of Forces TV dont have an on demand service and I also find 10% of TV programmes are still not on catch up services.
    I myself is thinking of canceling BT TV when contract is up at end of Feb next year and getting Now TV Big Entertainment plus HD add direct from Now.
    Only thing is I would miss my Youview box if anyone one of them decided to pack in. As you cant just go and buy a Youview box like you used too.
    I use the BT Home Hub 6(Smart Hub).
    I get a steady 63mb/64mb. If FTTP ever rolls out to my area I would think about getting it.
    Openreach started rolling out FTTP in my area last year then it was delayed to sometime this year. Now its been put back to 2022 going by the Openreach website. Only other way to get FTTP in my area is to go with Virgin and I have heard mixed review about Virgin. Just like Talk Talk heard mixed reviews.
    I do like watching sport but not enough too justify paying extra for it each month.
    I also have Netflix and monthly fee for that is shared with my sister. I also have Prime and added Disney + almost 7 weeks ago now.

Thank you for your replies,I would like to make it clear what I want from BT TV!
    Current situation
    I have Plusnet Fiber Broadband with the Plusnet Hub1 Router and Home Phone only. NB.. I did have YouView from Plusnet about two years ago but had problems with my account so I returned the Box to them and cancelled contract with their blessing.
    I also own an old SKY + HD BOX and have a working Satellite dish,I only have the entertainment pack.
    I have an AEI Digisender non Digital,so connects to the Sky+HD box with a Scart lead which sends Picture/Sound to a Receiver connected to my Bedroom TV by Scart.I change channels with my Sky remote via the Wifi Digi Eye.placed in front of my SKY+HD box..which works ok.
    I have a NEW Medion 43" Smart TV which has NetfliX,Prime and FreePlay apps installed on it.The downside is I cant install any more apps on it ie like NOWTV. which would be considerably cheaper than the Current Entertainment pack
    Future Requirement
    I am considering whether its worth,leaving SKY as I am not under contract,and taking BT Fiber Broadband,with a better Router,Home phone package and BT TV Multi Room ,BT Sport and NOW TV package.
    The only drawback I could
     see would be the non recordable Zapper box BT supply..NB I only watch TV with one box at a time,so I guess that should affect my usage[unless BT think otherwise?}I plan to buy a Humax Box for the Bedroom.
    I dont have a problem with the Non Wifi Boxes as I can use a pass through  TP link power line Adaptor or similar upstairs ,I already have one for the Downstairs tv if needed.

I hope that  the above makes more sense,and would welcome any comments forum members ,with more knowledge at their disposal Looking forward to hearing from you so that I can make an informed decision on how best to proceed  Thank you for reading this  Michael

edited 10 May 2021, 1:46PM
    @Michael Hrons

A few comments:-

You could add Now to your Medion TV with a stick, either from Now themselves, or an Amazon Firestick, or my choice, a Roku Stick, of which there are several, take the Now Entertainment pack at £9.99 a month (and initiate a Cancel it during the first month to get an even better retention price, which you can then accept instead).

You don’t get the retention offers, which are significant, with Now from BT.

Or if you get a YouView box from BT, you can watch Now on that, even if you subscribe directly to Now, as I do. Though Now on YouView boxes doesn’t have subtitles, which we need, so we watch it on a Roku stick instead anyway.

You could still use your Digisender with the BT or PlusNet DTR-2xxx boxes, which have SCART Out, but not with the BT DTR-4000 box, which is HDMI only.

This might make you revise wanting multiroom, or even needing a second YouView box, as long as you can get BT to give you a 2xxx rather than a 4000. Or buy a 2xxxx anyway; there are plenty on the web, and plenty cheap.

If you get Now directly, but go for BT TV anyway to get a YouView box, there seems to be a bundle with BT Sport and none of the Now services.

At this point, I would be firing up Excel to price the various possible permutations that would give me what I wanted, both upfront costs and ongoing monthly costs 😛
    Hi Roy Thank you for your advice,I actually already have a Firestick!I didnt think of that?
    I have been thinking that I could buy a  good used Humax 2100T box on Ebay,presumably that would be work OK,and as it would have scart, and Hdmi and would work with my DigisendeI  so I wouldn't need a second box in my bedroom.Could I also get away with staying with Plusnet,as i get a good service,the Routers fine and the speeds adequate.Presumably I could then say goodbye to Sky?  michael
    edited 10 May 2021, 2:23PM
    Hi Roy Thank you for your advice,I actually already have a Firestick!I didnt think of that?
    I have been thinking that I could buy a  good used Humax 2100T box on Ebay,presumably that would be work OK,and as it would have scart, and Hdmi and would work with my DigisendeI  so I wouldn't need a second box in my bedroom.Could I also get away with staying with Plusnet,as i get a good service,the Routers fine and the speeds adequate.Presumably I could then say goodbye to Sky?  michael
    Indeed so. Bye bye Sky, hello Now, for roughly the same thing, cheaper and more flexible, on a stick you find you already have, and soon to be on a YouView box you can get, from which you can throw Now to your upstairs TV.
    You won’t be able to record Now, but with ample catch-up on it, who really cares?

The only thing missing from your wants list would then be BT Sport, which you can get with a PlusNet TV package that will provide you with a box, a DTR-T2120, so you are guaranteed to get SCART out, with PlusNet.

So worth considering going back to YouView from PlusNet, brand new, guaranteed and supported, as it will save you from having to buy a box off eBay which is none of those things, for just a small amount of a package you will want anyway, if you want the sport.

NB: We had Digisenders in Spain, running off a Sky box, before they refocussed the satellite’s footprint so we couldn’t get it any more. They could feed two other rooms simultaneously, with a second receiver, and we bought extra Sky remotes. It all worked very well.
    Looking at Plusnet's website it doesn't look like you get a Youview box now but it's a little unclear.

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,103 ✭✭✭
    Tim C said:
    Looking at Plusnet's website it doesn't look like you get a Youview box now but it's a little unclear.

No you don't, as they are withdrawing from offering YouView and will going forward no longer provide a TV service.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    @Tim C @Visionman

Thanks - I have eviscerated my post above accordingly 😢