Youview DTR T1000 frozen and won't reset

stevelaststevelast Member Posts: 3
My BT youview box has stopped working and won't reset. It is labelled as DTR T1000.  Following the instructions at Using Maintenance Mode - YouView Support  I powered off and back on, I get the red centre light, immediately press and hold the vol -   button, but still only have "hello" followed by "please wait" on the display, which never then changes., and the blue centre power on light    The buttons on the right ( vol -, vol +, p- , p+)  are very small chrome buttons which don't seem to have any travel at all but I assume this is normal?    
Any suggestions please?

Comments

• zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,057 ✭✭
    Hi @stevelast
    is this Youview box that has been functioning normally until recently and has suddenly experienced a problem or one that has not been in use for some time .
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 571 ✭✭
    These units are getting past it now and it's likely the capacitors will be failing as that seems the most common reason for failure.
    These are replaceable btw. There's an old thread here - https://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/7510622/change-which-caps-to-change-on-t1000-to-revive-it/p1 that refers to fixing these if you fancy trying or know a man (or woman) who can.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭
    @stevelast

The buttons are touch sensitive. Have your finger on VOL- already when you switch it on, so the box doesn’t have a chance to start booting normally.
    ‘For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like’
  • stevelaststevelast Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Zulu17, the box had been in daily use until the problem a couple of days ago. 
    Roy, thank you. I tried that. When I switched on with Vol- held, it took about 8 seconds before the red light came on, then nothing more. 
    After about a minute of red light, I pushed that, went blue and got Hello, then Please wait.  and nothing more.  Repeating same sequence with different time off seems to produce some change in time from switch on to red light but can't be sure of that.  May be indicative of a capacitor issue, Tim C?   If so I won't tinker with it as it is quite old.   

Also get a momentary slight mechanical sound/tiny vibration when red light comes on, as if maybe drive is kicked over then stops.           
    Steve

• Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 571 ✭✭
    Capacitor failures are often quoted as being the cause of failure along with the drive failing so could be either.

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭
    stevelast said:  

Also get a momentary slight mechanical sound/tiny vibration when red light comes on, as if maybe drive is kicked over then stops.           
    Steve

@stevelast

Hmm, that sounds a bit like a sticking hard drive. 

If you are likely to have to give up on the box anyway, you might like to try the notorious ‘percussive maintenance’ whereby you give the box a controlled thump, typically with the heel of your hand, in a place where it may unstick the drive, and get the box working again, at least until next time.
    ‘For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like’
  • stevelaststevelast Member Posts: 3
    Thanks anyway, just went out and got a replacement, FVP5000. 
    Cheers all...