Unable to play recordings of series

widgetwidget Member Posts: 4
Hi

I have taken my Youview box (Humax DTR T2120/500G) abroad with me, as there were a number of recordings on the hard drive I wanted to watch during my stay abroad.

Whilst I can access and watch all the individual program recordings without any problems, playback of all recordings of multiple episodes (series) is not possible at all. Although I can see and select those and also see the individual episodes in the recording list, I cannot play any of them. Nothing happens at all.

Is there a solution for this problem?

I have already contacted the manufacturer HUMAX, but they couldn't help.

Many Thanks for your time.

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,884 ✭✭✭
    Greetings @widget and welcome to the Community!

I have used a YouView box abroad, and was certainly able to watch series recordings on it, so it isn’t just because you are abroad.

But I have to ask; are these recordings of BT TV Channels, as those certainly won’t play back if you are not connected to BT as your ISP?

Otherwise, how is the box connected over there? Aerial? Internet? Both? Neither?

This will limit what resets you can do. You can probably do the one where you touch the On/Standby button for just over 8 seconds, until the box reboots, and this is worth a try.

But nothing more drastic than that, which recording and playback problems often need.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • widgetwidget Member Posts: 4
    edited 26 June 2021, 6:31PM
    Good evening, Roy!

And thank you for taking the time to respond. The box is merely connected to a TV screen via HDMI - I was under the impression that I can treat it like an external hard drive.

The re-booting sadly didn't make any difference. 
    I agree, I don't think that being abroad is the issue. The recordings where from a mix of Freeview channels (no contract) - if that's what you are referring to. 
    What puzzles me is that I can watch individual recordings without any problems; but any episodes of a series from the same channel  does not playback. (Episodes appear on the recording list with the 2 squares symbol, instead of the red circle with the triangle/play for the individual recordings.)
    It may have to do with the software/coding that permits access to the data. 

It's not the end of the world. I just hoped someone would have a simple fix for it 😟

Thanks again for your trouble. 

Regards
    K

• zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,074 ✭✭
    @widget does using the i (info) remote button on the tiles with the 2 squares symbol  do anything  (i assume that you have used the OK button and got no response from your earlier post)
    edited 27 June 2021, 12:03PM
    @zulu17

Thank you, zulu17 

To first answer your question: the info button works as it should be. I tried the OK button as well as the PLAY button to no avail.

HOWEVER - I have meanwhile dragged the TV to a place in the house where I was able to connect the youview box via ethernet cable to the router. Didn't think it would do anything (being abroad and router not equipped with a VPN) but it immediately prompted me to allow the download of an update. Although it took (suspiciously) only a few seconds, it has provided me with some sort of access to the recording clusters of the series! Hurray 🙌.
    Still not in the usual way, though. It plays the first of the episodes when I press PLAY before accessing the individual episode list. If I access the individual episode lists and try to play any of them, it still won't work. Bit weird all 🙄. 

Anyhow, I started to watch a series and each time I come to an end of an episode, it asks if I want to watch the next. I can stop anytime and get back to it the same way - i.e. have to access it via the top layer (cluster), press PLAY and it carries on where I left off.
    I cannot delete any individual episodes either, only the entire series. 
    So it seems the series is handled as one large recording, although the episodes were recorded on different dates. And this must have to do with how it was recorded in the first place (>> "record whole series"). 
    Not sure yet, what happens when I come to the end of the series, though ...
    But as long as I can view the recordings now (one way or another), I'm happy 👍😀
    edited 27 June 2021, 11:55AM
    @widget

An external hard disc would go into a USB socket on your TV; the YouView box goes in via HDMI 😛 And it has a mind of its own; but I know what you mean.

The business of programmes recorded off BT TV not playing back applies even in the UK, if you hook up to a different ISP; though as you said, this doesn’t anyway apply to you.

YouView boxes abroad don’t seem to be geo-restricted when they phone home to YouView, so yours picked up the ongoing update. Apps would need a VPN or Smart DNS to work, though.

You may even find that the EPG continues to update, since it is augmented over the web. But I don’t know about that, as I retuned mine and got the local Spanish channels. Which the box was quite happy with, even the HD channels, which come in via the SD tuner over there, but still showed in HD.

As you are on the internet, you might now be able to carry out a Maintenance Mode reset, Option 2 or Option 4:-
    https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/using-maintenance-mode/

But usually, when the filing system gets screwed up, nothing less than an Option 5, which deletes your recordings will suffice, and you don’t want that. Yet.

It’s not quite the same as on a PC, but think of the YouView box as having a top-level folder containing all the individual programmes and also a sub-folder for each series, with the individual programmes nested underneath.

And it seems as though your box has lost its direct access to each episode of  any series, though it still retains serial access to the episodes in a series via the series heading. If you see what I mean. 

So watch them that way, thanking your lucky stars that the whole of the indexing hasn’t gone for a burton, but when you are finished, and perhaps when you come back to the UK, do a Factory Reset, or an MM Option 5 which is the same thing, before making any new recordings, so that hopefully the indexing will be restored to normal for those new recordings.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 27 June 2021, 12:03PM
    @Roy

Thank you once again, Roy. That's all noted and understood. 👍😊
  • NathanANathanA Member Posts: 1
    I'm glad I found this thread. I have the same problem. Since our transmitter went down (Bilsdale), I retuned the channels to see if it would pick any up. It didn't and that's when this same problem occurred. Single programs play fine but multiples don't, nothing happens. I reset using the manufacturers menu, keeping recordings and the same result.

I took the box to another aerial socket that was still receiving some channels, and it worked. I'm guessing there is some bug with the device software.

In short, it must be connected to an aerial socket with active channels before it works.
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I apologise for not following this up after @widget's original post - it has the hallmarks of being an issue in my area, but then I failed to note it down and follow it up properly, but I've looked just now and have found the problem and I'll try to land the fix into an imminent release.

The issue happens if the box has not seen any live event metadata since booting up, then the component that provides the valid list of actions for any piece of content gets confused and provides nothing.
    You can press play in the MyTV screen because it inexorably plays whatever you select, but if you go into the action panel for a single recording or its fullscreen sibling for a series stack, it finds out what actions apply and then only lets you press remote control buttons with matching actions, hence no response when it has failed to find any actions.

Really sorry this affected @widget and @NathanA while abroad or with the problems at Bilsdale, thanks for taking the time to report it though and a forthcoming update should fix this for you.
  • haramaynashharamaynash Member Posts: 1
    Check your equipment cabling is connected securely. Make sure you don't switch off your BT TV box or BT Hub when you have a scheduled recording. Check any series recordings have been set up correctly, by going to the 'Scheduled' section of 'My TV'
    Check your equipment cabling is connected securely. Make sure you don't switch off your BT TV box or BT Hub when you have a scheduled recording. Check any series recordings have been set up correctly, by going to the 'Scheduled' section of 'My TV'
    @haramaynash

Not every YouView box is a BT one, and not all the broadband for YouView users is supplied by BT.

But even for those who do have BT Broadband, what part does the BT Hub play in making scheduled recordings?

Oh, and your sig isn’t compliant…..
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    Roy said:

I can't figure out why anyone would want to promote a page of thermostat reviews. 
    edited 30 August 2021, 7:56AM
    jimb said:
    Roy said:

I can't figure out why anyone would want to promote a page of thermostat reviews. 
    @jimb

Probably just taking the temperature of the Community prior to coming back with some more targeted payloads if he doesn’t get a rather cool reception. But whatever he is offering, we are surely going to turn it down.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭
    jimb said:
    Roy said:

I feel a bit uncomfortable. Last week I did a Google search for programmable thermostats.
    jonesh said:
    jimb said: 
    I feel a bit uncomfortable. Last week I did a Google search for programmable thermostats.
    @jonesh

Feeling the heat? 😛
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭
    Roy said:
    jonesh said:
    jimb said: 
    @jonesh

Feeling the heat? 😛
    No. I'm cool with it. B)
    jonesh said:
    Roy said:
    jonesh said:
    jimb said: 
    @jonesh

Feeling the heat? 😛
    No. I'm cool with it. B)
    I’ve Hived the job off to British Gas 😛
    A quick update which I hope doesn't put your exchanges on ice: the fix just landed into our main release branch and was included in the cut that will form part of Component Software 3.7.130 and above, so were you to ask about the release date of this fix I'd say it's "getting warmer"
  • @Stephen

Hi Stephen, a couple of quick questions:

1) Could this same issue be occurring on a Sony Bravia TV running Google TV?
    2) If so, could it also apply to things that have been added to the 'MyTV' list through being available on one of the streaming services e.g. a programme that I've searched for, found on Britbox (for which I have a subscription) and hit Record to add to the MyTV list?

It sounds the same as what I've been experiencing - I could play the first episode of my saved programmes from the mini-menu at the bottom of the screen, but I couldn't play them from the Watchlist page.

I have the extra wrinkle that I don't actually use Youview for live TV - I live in a flat with no external aerial and lousy reception inside but I do have access to a satellite dish so I use Freesat (my Sony TV has a satellite tuner and sockets), but I do make use of Youview for the streaming apps, and ideally I'd like to be able to use Youview MyTV as a combined watchlist for iPlayer, Freesat, UKTVplayer etc rather than have separate lists in each of those apps.

In the hope that the issue you described might also apply to my circumstances, I have today bought an internal aerial and used it to tune in. As I say, I wouldn't want to use this aerial to actually view live TV as the reception is just not good enough - but if need be I could leave it connected if the Youview app needs live TV input to keep itself happy and working.

Not been able to check yet whether this has addressed the problem though because now the MyTV and Watchlist functions are returning the error YVM3503. However, I found previously that that error message was returned but a few hours later seemed to resolve itself with no action on my part - so possibly that may happen again.
    edited 5 September 2021, 4:08AM
    @jameselder100

In general, once you have tuned a YouView device with an aerial, you don’t need to keep the aerial connected, though you will need it again after any reset on the TV,

There is a slight addition to this for Sony TVs, where you have to ensure that the TV gets its time sync via the internet and not over the (missing) aerial, as all your internet apps except Netflix will stop working if the time sync is wrong.
  • Roy said:
    @jameselder100

In general, once you have tuned a YouView device with an aerial, you don’t need to keep the aerial connected, though you will need it again after any reset on the TV,

There is a slight addition to this for Sony TVs, where you have to ensure that the TV gets its time sync via the internet and not over the (missing) aerial, as all your internet apps except Netflix will stop working if the time sync is wrong.
    @Roy Thanks. As I hoped, MyTV is working this morning, including being able to play recordings - and indeed it continued to work once I'd unplugged the aerial.

I think my TV's time sync must be coming from the internet given that all apps have always worked happily in the absence of an aerial.
    @jameselder100 ah, has that fixed everything now? I had spotted your issue with my occasional snooping on Twitter and was going to poke someone in our Android team during the week as I saw you were likely hitting some weird edgecase.
    I don't think it's the issue fixed above, because that was specifically inside the Action Panel area of the UI, and launching things directly from the fullscreen Watchlist just launches things directly if you press OK, it doesn't try to get a list of applicable actions first.
    But we can have a look at what's happening, because it all should work without an aerial! And if it happens again, reply here and maybe we can check a few things if we can't replicate it here.
    But thanks for taking the time to report, and sorry you had to buy a mini aerial!
    Oh actually I've read your reply in the other thread and we may be getting crossed wires on what we're calling different areas of the UI.
    The page with either one item's info and a row of actions, or a horizontal carousel of many items at the top, also with the action row and info is internally called the Action/Info Panel when it's for one item or the rather mealy-mouthed Brand Series Discovery Area when with multiple items fullscreen.
    If you're saving a whole series to MyTV and bringing up the BSDA for it then, yes, that's the bug above which has just been fixed and said fix will roll out soon.
    Apologies for confusion!