End of a era

kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 647 ✭✭
Sainsburys have just announced they will no longer be selling DVDs.
No prizes for guessing the rationale behind this decision. 
Ignore this if you disagree. 

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,785 ✭✭✭
    edited 10 July 2021, 12:54PM
    kodikid said:
    Sainsburys have just announced they will no longer be selling DVDs.
    No prizes for guessing the rationale behind this decision. 

The Everly Brothers predicted this years ago, with their classic “All I Have To Do Is Stream”
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 504 ✭✭
    I still use a DVD player but I have to admit not as much as I used to a few years ago.
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 647 ✭✭
    Think the Industry did itself no favours charging a ludicrous amount for blu ray.
    Must admit giving a favorite DVD or CD ( like a dvd but smaller and only played music) was always a good fallback come Christmas or birthdays. 
    Bizarrely Sainsburys will continue selling vinyl records. 
    Smaller?

‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    That long since I've seen either that I'd completely forgotten the actual sizes. 
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 451 ✭✭
    If you'd included the word capacity after smaller, would have made sense.
    For me CD quality is better than streaming quality, and you don't get any buffering with DVD or Bluray.
    @Stevef_fr8ys

Yes to capacity 🙂

But there is streaming and streaming, and services like Tidal and Qobuz go up to 384kHz, far in excess of the 44.1kHz of CD.

in the old days, the theory was that the 44.1 could be compared with the 20kHz that was the highest even young human ears could go (I top out at about 9kHz these days), so there was nothing in music that a CD couldn’t reproduce, unless maybe you were a dog.

Now we realise that 16 bits has the analogue equivalent of the staircasing you sometimes see on a TV, especially on a sunset perhaps, where the intended smooth gradation is replaced by steps.

Hence perhaps the attraction of these Hi-Res services with 24 or more bits; there are no higher frequencies you can hear, but the ones you can hear sound better.

And again the flight to vinyl, where having an infinite number of bits, theoretically, and no need for error correction, is preferred by some people who aren’t fazed by the wow, flutter, rumble, pops and clicks, and the RIAA frequency correction needed instead. Or maybe they just like the ritual….
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭
    Roy said:
    @Stevef_fr8ys

Yes to capacity 🙂

But there is streaming and streaming, and services like Tidal and Qobuz go up to 384kHz, far in excess of the 44.1kHz of CD.

in the old days, the theory was that the 44.1 could be compared with the 20kHz that was the highest even young human ears could go (I top out at about 9kHz these days), so there was nothing in music that a CD couldn’t reproduce, unless maybe you were a dog.

Now we realise that 16 bits has the analogue equivalent of the staircasing you sometimes see on a TV, especially on a sunset perhaps, where the intended smooth gradation is replaced by steps.

Hence perhaps the attraction of these Hi-Res services with 24 or more bits; there are no higher frequencies you can hear, but the ones you can hear sound better.

And again the flight to vinyl, where having an infinite number of bits, theoretically, and no need for error correction, is preferred by some people who aren’t fazed by the wow, flutter, rumble, pops and clicks, and the RIAA frequency correction needed instead. Or maybe they just like the ritual….
    Good quality sound from a digital source depends more on the equipment that it is played on, than it does on the resolution of the original files. On the right equipment CDs, or CD quality FLAC files, can sound excellent.
    Re:  your vinyl comments. When was the last time that you listened to music played from a clean vinyl source on decent equipment?
    Another thing to consider is the pure convenience of digital content. 
    Who can forget the glove box in the car full of cassettes or the piles of vhs tapes or DVDs in the living room.
    Just on my phone I can listen to any track I want anywhere and in the house just ask Alexa to play any song I can think off... even with the greatest cd quality on the planet who would want to return to that?
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,114 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 July 2021, 1:26PM
    kodikid said:
    Think the Industry did itself no favours charging a ludicrous amount for blu ray.
    Must admit giving a favorite DVD or CD ( like a dvd but smaller and only played music) was always a good fallback come Christmas or birthdays. 
    Bizarrely Sainsburys will continue selling vinyl records. 

Vinyl's on the rise and their all pretty coloured disks!
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 11 July 2021, 3:32PM
    @jonesh

This morning, on my Linn Axis/Basik with the stock MM Linn-badged cartridge it came with fed through an Audiolab 8000A via Philips cabling to my Mordaunt-Short MS302 sat/sub speakers.

My really old-skool Koss Pro-4AAs still sound good, but are probably bettered by my Sennheiser HD 540 References. Still old-skool, as is most of this kit (Denon cassette deck, Rotel FM/AM tuner, no streamer in the stack), but still sounds very good on the modern Grado SR80s from the other room.

Better than on the MS302s in fact. I miss my BC1s…. 😢

My CDs go into the same amp from an Arcam Alpha 8, over QED QNECT 4 cables, paying attention to the directionality stamped on the outer sheathing (which I am sure bewilders the electrons moving within).

I sold the bulk of my vinyl years ago, and the reseller who bought it described most of the albums as mint- or unplayed-looking. But I kept my treasures, and all the ones that weren’t on CD at the time, some of which I now do have on CD, so I can make A/B comparisons. Vinyl sounds warmer, CD sounds cleaner. As I like an analytical sound, I generally prefer the CDs.

But of course, these will all be AAD; I have plenty of DDD CDs but what I don’t have is any recent vinyl to see what DDA sounds like….
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 818 ✭✭
    edited 11 July 2021, 7:32PM
    Roy said:
    @jonesh

This morning, on my Linn Axis/Basik 

Not a Sondek @roy? You are letting the side down (only joking - even I don't own a Sondek - I have an original Rega Planar 3 Turntable). I have been to many demos using a Linn system & have to question are full spec models worth the extra money? Only your own ears can decide. Mind you, that is an excellent system you have and should outstand the test of time. Don't get rid of it! John L

Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
    edited 11 July 2021, 11:06PM
    Really haven't a clue what you too are on about. 
    Sondek sounds like a argos garden chair and isn't Rega Planer a reggae artist??
    edited 11 July 2021, 11:28PM
    kodikid said:
    Really haven't hot a clue what you too are on about. 
    Sondek sounds like a argos garden chair.
    That’s nothing to be proud of, @kodikid

The Linn Sondek (Sound Deck) is the finest turntable that Ivor Tiefenbrun and his team could build.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivor_Tiefenbrun

The Linn Axis (no longer made) is the finest turntable they could build for a 1987 sale price of £300.

http://classichifi.info/LinnAxis.shtml

This article is a bit sniffy about your deck, @John L; sorry, and that isn’t anything I would be about what I consider to be an entirely comparable deck.

Suitably adapted, though, @kodikid, any one of these could serve as the basis for a garden chair, and one that would give you 100 panoramic views of your garden every three minutes.

And a Rega Planer, if there were such a thing, could also smooth your garden decking as it swept round.
    Don't get me wrong ignorance is never a good look...equally though neither is wallowing in obsolescence. 
  • John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 818 ✭✭
    edited 12 July 2021, 10:18AM
    kodikid said:
    Really haven't a clue what you too are on about. 
    Sondek sounds like a argos garden chair and isn't Rega Planer a reggae artist??
    @kodikid, Linn are one of the finest producers of Turntables (high end equipment) in the UK, actually the World, still made in Scotland since the early 1970s. You won't find them being sold in Argos! Same with Rega, produced in Essex since the 1970/80s, still going strong. Both manufacturers also design and produce Cd, amps, speakers, but not garden furniture. You learn something everyday on this forum! I'm just glad I can listen to all my CDs, vinyl. The quality of streaming will advance to higher quality as broadband technology and equipment improve. 
    John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
    kodikid said:
    Don't get me wrong ignorance is never a good look...equally though neither is wallowing in obsolescence. 
    Quite right, @kodikid; I really must replace that Rotel FM tuner with the current AudioLab 6000N streamer, and then suddenly the whole stack will be bang up to date. 

Not, of course, that anything in the system is what you would buy if you were buying it today; but equally there isn’t anything else in the system that has been so significantly improved that replacement would be merited.

Now, where did I put that MiniDisc player? I know it’s somewhere near the Betamax, in the loft…..
  • DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 504 ✭✭
    I sadly got rid of my record player in the late 90s.
    My sister got old records given to her from an Auntie from mums site of family how has now sadly passed away not long before COVID started.
    some of the records are from the the late 60s and the 70s and are singles.
    She also now got nothing to play them on.

edited 12 July 2021, 11:52AM
    Darren said:
    I sadly got rid of my record player in the late 90s.
    My sister got old records given to her from an Auntie from mums site of family how has now sadly passed away not long before COVID started.
    some of the records are from the the late 60s and the 70s and are singles.
    She also now got nothing to play them on.

@Darren

Argos will sell her one for £30:-
    https://www.argos.co.uk/browse/technology/turntables-and-karaoke/record-players-and-turntables/c:30137/

Right next to the garden chairs in @kodikid’s local branch, apparently.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭
    Roy said:
    @jonesh
    This morning, on my Linn Axis/Basik with the stock MM Linn-badged cartridge it came with
    Wow, flutter and rumble?
    You must have been thinking about the Dansette that your parents bought you for your 13th birthday. :p
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭
    Roy said:

...my Mordaunt-Short MS302 sat/sub speakers.

...I miss my BC1s…. 😢
    Why the change @Roy ?
    (Pressure from SWMBO perhaps?)
    jimb said:
    Roy said:

...my Mordaunt-Short MS302 sat/sub speakers.

...I miss my BC1s…. 😢
    Why the change @Roy ?
    (Pressure from SWMBO perhaps?)
    @jimb

An earlier downsize….followed by AV equipment taking pride of place these days 😛