broadband

malpollymalpolly Member Posts: 11
why has my set top box lost the connection for broadband and how can I fix it 

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭
    @malpolly

Lots of possible reasons.

Have you still got broadband on other devices? (if a mobile, via wifi, as 3/4/5G doesn’t count).

Does your router need a reboot? Do you have Powerline Adaptors, which may need a reboot?

Have you got a laptop which you can connect via Ethernet in the place of the YouView box, turn off its WiFi, and see if you can still connect to the internet?

If not, there’s a problem with the wiring up to the box; if you can, then the problem is with the box.

if so, please let us know what model it is, where it came from, and if it is on a subscription to BT, PlusNet or TalkTalk or not. And if so, which one?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • malpollymalpolly Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for reply I dont rely understand all about wifi etc I am 78 years old and dont need all this but I am with talktalk I can get internet no problem I cant get broadband I asked for a new box which arrived I plugged it in it loaded up you view then video help with connection and stopped would not do anything , I am going to find better provider .
    @malpolly

I think you need to find somebody more techy, maybe a member of your family, a friend or the friend’s son or daughter to come and look at this for you.

You see, the internet comes over broadband, so it doesn’t make sense to say you can get internet, but not broadband. I’m sure, though, that you have a problem, and it makes sense to you, and it’s real, but it’s hard for you to describe it, and so hard for us to understand it 😢

I suspect your problem may be that a YouView box needs at least three things plugged into it; an aerial cable from the TV Aerial socket on the wall, an HDMI cable to connect it to your TV, and an Ethernet cable to connect it to your router, possibly via PLAs (PowerLine Adaptors).

And you don’t have all three connected - and it’s also possible that the above looks like gibberish to you, in which case you need the help of somebody who understands what it means.

It may be that if you phone TalkTalk, they can talk you through it, or perhaps they would send an engineer out to set everything up for you, though I daresay they would charge for a home visit.

https://support.youview.com/useful-contacts/
    and look at the TalkTalk contact details, call the number, see what help you can get.

Or as above, find a tame techy, give him/her this thread to read, plus the setup information that TalkTalk provided you with, and let them sort it for you; anything they don’t understand, they can ask here, and we will keep trying to help. 
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    thanks , I dont know who you are do you work for talktalk ,you seem to be making me out to be an  idiot ,yes I  plug everything in correctly I can get the internet how do think I am doing this, the broadband was working fine we switched off tv next morning swittched on NO broadband the cables had not been touched broadband controls all the apps we can not get any ,also every morning we have restart the you view box why ?and with the new box why does it load up you view then help connecting comes on and will not do anything , as far as I am concerned I will leaving talktalk in january 2022 when my contract ends .
    Oh BY THE WAY I DO NOT NEED SOMEBODY MORE  TECHY  I MAY BE GETTING OLD BUT I AM NOT STUPID THANK YOU ROY and yes I did know caps lock was on .
    Hi @malpolly

I am a customer like you, an unpaid volunteer on this Community who tries to help people with their problems with YouView boxes, and I don’t work for any of the companies involved, not YouView, not TalkTalk, not any of them.

I am only trying to be helpful, but I seem to have got an earful back; you said yourself “I don’t really understand all about WiFi, etc.”. Which is fair enough (and doesn’t make you stupid, or make me think you are stupid!), and so I thought the best thing was for you to enlist some help at your end. And no need to bite my head off for suggesting this 😢

Give TalkTalk a ring; it’s likely they can talk you through it over the phone in a way that going back and forth on the Community can’t match.

Otherwise, to diagnose the problem, you will need to have the answers to the questions I asked you in my first posting.

There is one thing you can try on the box though; touch the on/standby button on the box for just over 8 seconds until it soft reboots. This is very gentle, and you won’t lose any settings or recordings, but it might just prod the box into reconnecting.

As regards broadband, there are two sorts you are likely to have; landline broadband over your fixed phone line, and mobile broadband from a mobile phone, over 3/4/5G. Maybe you are posting here from a mobile, and not from its WiFi, so you are using mobile internet?

Or maybe you can use apps on a Smart TV, a laptop or PC, and so on?

Which means that you do have working broadband, but just not to the YouView box; hence the terminology confusion.

Anyway, perhaps one of my fellow-posters can explain better, or take this further, for you.
    ROY I have been in touch with TALKTALK 6 HOURS on chat line and phone calls still no joy tell me this why do I get a message on the tv we cannot detect your BROADBAND and then a few seconds later BROADBAND is restored what can I do about that it tells me to contact t/t with error code YVM102 they do not understand .
    edited 15 August 2021, 8:57AM
    malpolly said:
    ROY I have been in touch with TALKTALK 6 HOURS on chat line and phone calls still no joy tell me this why do I get a message on the tv we cannot detect your BROADBAND and then a few seconds later BROADBAND is restored what can I do about that it tells me to contact t/t with error code YVM102 they do not understand .
    @malpolly

Nightmare!

It’s their job to understand 😢

Here’s a link to what YVM102 means, and how to fix it:-

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/error-messages/fix-for-yvm102/

You will notice I have suggested one or two of these things….

So the box is reporting your broadband as going on and off… it’s intermittent?

How is your box wired to the router? Is it a direct cable (an ‘Ethernet’ cable) or does it go over the mains via a couple of little adaptors called PLAs?

Perhaps TalkTalk have had you reboot these (tech speak for switch off and switch on again)? But if not, do that; start with the router, switch off, wait two minutes, switch on again, and when it has settled, do the same on the PLA (if you have one) nearest the router, and finally on the PLA (if you have one) nearest the YouView box. And then, if you haven't already, do the 8-second reset on the YouView box. Or do it again, for thoroughness.

And make sure the PLAs (if you have them) are directly in wall sockets, and not in adaptors or extension leads.

If all this doesn’t fix it, then I do think you really are going to need ‘boots on the ground’ to look at what might be a setup that has gone faulty 😢
    Thanks Roy ,I have done all that reboot ,factory resets everything I have powerline adapters reset them  I have just traced the phone line it seems fine talktalk tech help just do not understand the error code they think its tv thats at fault ,I know you are trying to help but I am at loss to this talktalk is brilliant the right price ,but now it is a nightmare .
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 476 ✭✭
    edited 15 August 2021, 10:07AM
    @malpolly, I am a TalkTalk customer too and get this occasionally, and I know its not the Internet going down or the Router, as the computer and other devices connected still function.
    It happens on all 4 boxes i have connected, 3 via powerlines, and more crucially, the one connected directly to the router.

I have 2 TalkTalk and 2 Humax boxes, so I suspect its some bug in the software somewhere that occasionally disconnects the broadband connection, needing a reset.

9 times out of 10, is just the annoyance of the message appearing as I'm watching live TV or Recordings. The other 1 will be when I'm watching catchup and have a break in the stream. I switch to another box then and resume as it does not affect all the boxes at the same time.

If you post on the TalkTalk forum you will be offered the same advice as @Roy has given you, and if you are in contract, may be offered a replacement box, but TalkTalk no longer provide recordable boxes only the lite non-recordable box.

Is this an occasional message or one that pops up multiple times a week, day, or hour? 

Resetting my PLAs seems to work but may be a coincidence, as using a laptop in the same configuration i dont get disconnects from the internet, but with intermittent problems its difficult to pin the trouble down.
    thanks your problem is same as mine t/t tust do not know what to do I will be gone.
    oops should be just 
    It's not just TalkTalk as it affects my Humax boxes too, it's the YouView software, which the TalkTalk boxes utilise.
    edited 15 August 2021, 3:31PM
    It's not just TalkTalk as it affects my Humax boxes too, it's the YouView software, which the TalkTalk boxes utilise.
    @Stevef_fr8ys

I don’t get a sniff of anything like this on my Humax YouView boxes, connected to BT.

Which makes me think it may be the TalkTalk box hardware or firmware at fault, or maybe, as it affects your Humax boxes, TalkTalk as an ISP, or as the router supplier (assuming you have a TalkTalk router, that is).
    I am convinced its  talktalk  I received a new box on friday last week plugged it in as per leaflet it started loading you view then the help connecting came on and will not do anything else,how can this be my  problem ,I have found I can access iplayers ,and now tv for sports on my smart tv so I dont need talktalk  except for internet and phone ,tv , my wife is one of the extremely vunerable so no one we dont know is coming in my house . Iplugged in the old box and came on minus the broadband , how can I talk to people who have not got a clue .
    @Roy
    4 different router models, all TalkTalk, and it still happens, as said occasionally, probably fortnightly on different boxes and I have to stress not at the same time. 
    @malpolly, if this is a new box that fails to load, log onto their forum and ask for a replacement for it. It could be the new box is faulty.
    thanks  the box that is installed now stopped tonight the picture froze and lights on went out will not switch on ,the box is less two months old I am now on freeview and stopping here thanks for help and goodnight .