BT Humax YouView box ITV hub problem after adverts

2»

Comments

• FelixFelix Member Posts: 13
    and now this

Unfortunately we cannot [update the app to accommodate ITV's changes], ITV have stated that for all older models, even other than Humax, ITV hub will be no longer available, you can get more info from them, they will confirm this.
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
    I'm afraid you really need to use any pvr in conjunction with a dedicated streaming device (fire stick etc).
    It really is horses for courses. 
    Oh wait
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,455 ✭✭✭
    Felix said:
    and now this

Unfortunately we cannot [update the app to accommodate ITV's changes], ITV have stated that for all older models, even other than Humax, ITV hub will be no longer available, you can get more info from them, they will confirm this.
    Yes, the people who put the hub in hubris have also ruled out the original YouView boxes, the DTR-T10x0s 😢
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    I'm an innocent, I imagined the point of an app is that it can be updated without having to also buy new hardware. We're being had aren't we ? Can't buy new hardware just because one content provider has decided to change their particular software.
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
    Felix said:
    I'm an innocent, I imagined the point of an app is that it can be updated without having to also buy new hardware. We're being had aren't we ? Can't buy new hardware just because one content provider has decided to change their particular software.
    Fair comment, but also by that rationale...

Say you have a black and white tv.
    Why should you have to upgrade just so you can watch in 4k...

Technology moves on.

You don't have to buy anything but to enjoy the full range of apps £20 for a dedicated streaming device isn't a big ask.
    Oh wait
    [quote=kodikid]
    You don't have to buy anything but to enjoy the full range of apps £20 for a dedicated streaming device isn't a big ask.
    Sure, but why is a dedicated dongle any better? If it can be updated (can it?) why can't the software in my PVR be updated? There are dozens of apps, it's not cool that any one of them at any time can decide that they're going to change and not make their change compatible with hardware.
    edited 13 July 2022, 8:30AM
    @Felix

Hardware gets left behind as time moves on, as apps get ever more sophisticated. Every app has its cutoffs, the ageing hardware that the developers of an app decline to babysit any more with special measures.

The Now White Box runs no more, Now doesn’t run on Gen 1 Firesticks, and nor does it run on 2014 Samsung TVs.

The BBC publishes a catalogue of devices the iPlayer is supported on, and every year, the oldest previous model year blinks out.

Even on my 2015 Samsung TV, still holding in there by the skin of its teeth, the iPlayer declines to run in UHD, and I have to use the attached Roku Streaming Stick+ to get this.

The YouView code is full of IFs or ifdefs for the T10x0s; jump from state A to state E where T2xx0s glide there through intermediate states B, C and D; don’t even attempt certain things.

But back to that Gen 1 Firestick; it’s supplying the BBC iPlayer to a 2012 Samsung 32” TV that the BBC long since gave up on, native, but is it s-l-o-w.

Lots of apps still, except the aforementioned Now, but I updated it a few days ago, system software and apps, and it took 90 minutes. It’s glacial. 

I have another one in my bits box, which I won’t update, just P/X against the latest Firestick tomorrow, while the Prime Day is still running,
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    Felix said:
    [quote=kodikid]
    Sure, but why is a dedicated dongle any better? If it can be updated (can it?) why can't the software in my PVR be updated? There are dozens of apps, it's not cool that any one of them at any time can decide that they're going to change and not make their change compatible with hardware.
    @Felix

As above, hardware ages.

App falls off TV; new TV, £1500
    App falls off PVR; new PVR, £150
    App falls off dongle; new dongle £25

There’s 1475 reasons why a dongle is better, right there.

And there has not, to my knowledge, been a dongle which has decided that’s it’s no longer going to run on a given TV, as long as that TV has an HDMI input, and at least some iteration of HDCP.
    edited 13 July 2022, 2:32PM
    Felix said:
    That’s the sweet spot, yes.

I’m getting a Max, because it can do PIP with our Ring doorbell, but that’s not anything that should sway you, unless you particularly want that extra feature.
    Ok, all working and I'm quite impressed with it.

Only downside is that the USB power from the TV doesn't power the dongle. I'm surprised because it's got a USB port that specifically used for power (charging 3D goggles - what happened to them?!). It's configureable and set to on on standby. There may be another option somewhere, some more fiddling to do.
    edited 15 July 2022, 11:02AM
    @Felix said:
    Ok, all working and I'm quite impressed with it.

Only downside is that the USB power from the TV doesn't power the dongle. I'm surprised because it's got a USB port that specifically used for power (charging 3D goggles - what happened to them?!). It's configureable and set to on on standby. There may be another option somewhere, some more fiddling to do.
    @Felix

Is the inside of the USB port blue?

What were you doing when you were told there wasn’t enough power?
    Firesticks often find the power from a TV USB port is enough to run one, but not enough if you need to update one.
    That was a good call, thanks. It works from the TV USB when set-up, just requires mains juice the first time you switch it on to do the set-up and downloads.