Remote doesn't work

Hi, I have a problem today where the remote wouldnt work. I unplugged the box for half an hour and reset, the remote then worked for like 5 or 10 minutes and then it's like it loses power and wont turn the channel/volume/come out of an app. Does anybody know what I can do. I bought a brand new remote about 4 weeks ago as my old one gave up on mr after only 3 months. Surely I shouldnt have to reset day and night? Any help is appreciated.

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,884 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 August 2021, 8:26AM
    @sidshedseven

Greetings, and welcome to the Community!

Even though it is very new, it may be worth trying some new batteries in the remote.

If this doesn’t help, then when the YouView box next fails to respond, look at the sender on the remote through your camera phone, and see if you can see flickering when you press some buttons.

If not, then you have another faulty remote, I’m afraid.

But if you can see flickering, then the remote is probably OK, but the YouView box is not responding to it.

I don’t suppose you have a plasma TV, do you? They can cause this. If the answer is Yes, let us know, and we’ll go down that avenue.

But assuming not, please wipe down the front of your YouView box with a damp cloth, to ensure nothing is obscuring the sensor for the remote.

The next step is to assume a box problem, and try some resets.

The gentle one is, while not recording nor about to, touch the On/Standby button for just over 8 seconds, until the box reboots.

This may well fix it, but if not, a Maintenance Mode Option 2 is the next thing to try. Follow the instructions here:-
    https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/using-maintenance-mode/

And please let us know the results of these steps. Also, if things aren’t fixed, the box model, your ISP, and whether or not you have the box on subscription will be good things for us to know.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris