Sky UK Allegedly Trial Broadband TV Service Without Satellite

jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
Sky "has reportedly begun UK trials of their long-awaited alternative TV service, which would enable customers to receive the full array of television channels by harnessing an existing broadband connection instead of an ugly Satellite dish."

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2021/08/sky-uk-allegedly-trial-broadband-tv-service-without-satellite.html

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,884 ✭✭✭
    Thanks @jimb

That article explains how come the developer told us our estate ‘has firs’ when there isn’t a conifer for miles 😛
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭
    Nice one @jimb

Although something like "Technology moves on shock, horror" comes to mind as an alternative headline.  
    And who is going to pay to retrieve and recycle all that space junk?
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,140 ✭✭✭
    redchiz said:
    And who is going to pay to retrieve and recycle all that space junk?

Not Sky/Comcast thats for sure as they rent them. Anyway, this is eventually (blow knows when) going to be a dual cast broadcast system so satellite broadcasts are going nowhere. The broadband project is meant as an addition, not replacement, of satellite.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    Ah, thank you all-knowing-one.   :)
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,140 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 August 2021, 8:41PM
    redchiz said:
    Ah, thank you all-knowing-one.   :)

I've had that information for about 5 years. Heres some further info. Believe it or not - Murdoch was always resistant to the internet, including the launch of Now TV. Comcast on the other hand are loving it and going forward are going to fully embrace it alongside its satellite platform. If you want to think thats **** then do so. But it won't make it any less happen.

On a personal note - @redchiz - I don't know what I've done to you to suffer such close personal slaughter recently but it will not continue.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.