Ebay

kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 699 ✭✭
The new Pro box is now starting to appear on Ebay.
They seem to trade at around £160.
If (and it's a massive if having 2 fully functioning 4000's already) I can persuade swmbo I might just take a punt.
Having several tuners would be a godsend at times. 
Ignore this if you disagree. 

Comments

• redchizredchiz Member, Super User Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭
    Is it not locked to an account, like Sky?
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 699 ✭✭
    No it's still basically a freeview box.
    Cool. Well a very good one at that price then. Nothing in the way of support though if anything goes wrong.
  • Tim CTim C Member, Super User Posts: 580 ✭✭
    I'd be interested to know how they got hold of this as all units supplied to BT TV customers are loaned for the duration of the contract and remain BT's property.
    That is the only way to formally get them apparently. So there is either a grey market from within the BT supply chain. Or BT customers are just risking it for bit of cash. Caveat emptor
    edited 4 September 2021, 6:27PM
    I have spotted one available on another major site with no scruples or tax contributions.
    edited 4 September 2021, 8:36PM
    This is nothing new, to my feeble knowledge the T4000 was never officially available retail. 
    And the truth shall set you free ....
    From a bloody expensive subscription. 
    😂
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,884 ✭✭✭
    kodikid said:
    This is nothing new, to my feeble knowledge the T4000 was never officially available retail. 
    But if I recall correctly, the T4000 predated BT’s change of ownership rules, so there were some out there that could be legitimately sold. That doesn’t explain the people who had armfuls of them, though.

I wonder if the Pro has a kill switch, like the BT Vision boxes had, and/or their lock-in to BT Broadband? I remember that mine politely declined to work any more when I switched to Sky broadband.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    edited 5 September 2021, 6:35AM
    That did cross my mind but luckily  BT have always been my ISP. Doubt if the WiFi will work with my current router, apparently BT are working on a way that the WiFi facility will only work when connected to their upcoming new router. Again not really a issue as you can easily get your hands on BT routers.
    Did the same with the WiFi discs, bought them off ebay to link with my smart hub 2.
    Works perfectly and saved me a fortune by not paying a Halo subscription. 
  • DarrenDarren Member, Super User Posts: 521 ✭✭
    edited 5 September 2021, 10:16PM
    kodikid said:
    That did cross my mind but luckily  BT have always been my ISP. Doubt if the WiFi will work with my current router, apparently BT are working on a way that the WiFi facility will only work when connected to their upcoming new router. Again not really a issue as you can easily get your hands on BT routers.
    Did the same with the WiFi discs, bought them off ebay to link with my smart hub 2.
    Works perfectly and saved me a fortune by not paying a Halo subscription. 

Wonder if is worth me being the BT Wifi discs of eBay. Not that I use eBay much. I still using the smart hub(home hub 6) but was sent a smart  Hub 2 start of last year and never set it up.
    The now I'm paying for BT fibre 2 at the same price as fibre 1 after I got a deal back in Feb as I said I had been looking elsewhere for my FTTC broadband. 
    Pay TV is starting to became a little dear. Depending on what packages you have and payed streaming services. 
    Even broadband is starting to now be dear depending on package Orr you can get a discount.

Well it arrived this morning, set took literally minutes to set up, a bona fide plug and play.
    It's bigger then the T4000 It's replacing but nice and sleek,  very much Sky Q ish.
    The remote is truly next level, it's really weighty and feels substantial,  none of this find your code and flashing blue light nonsense just point at your tv and bingo, on off and volume all working perfectly. 
    Made up with it.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    You could apply that logic to anyone who has bought off ebay but thanks anyway for 
    Pi$$!#g on my parade. 

Ebay veterans will know the biggest problem with the site is fakes. 
    Not sure for certain but pretty sure it's kosher. 
    Did you have to register it against your BT account @kodikid?

edited 8 September 2021, 12:23PM
    No, bizarrely it's nothing to do with BT.
    At the end of the day it's a recordable freeview box the same as any retail T2000 or 4000
    As Roy pointed out though whether it will work without a BT router is another issue. 
    Anyone in the market for a replacement box who are with BT,Plusnet or EE should seriously consider one.
    @kodikid

If and when it gets Wi-fi, you could try it, briefly, with the hotspot on your mobile phone.
    edited 8 September 2021, 2:43PM
     It's In the lounge so I'm not really bothered about WiFi as it lives next to the router anyway. 
    As good as the pro box is really can't envisage swmbo letting me buy one to replace the bedroom T4000 despite said box being the noisiest youview box that ever existed. 
    Plus I think those clever boffins at BT are making the WiFi only available through the new upcoming router. 
    Is it still the standard albeit BT-skinned YouView UI?
  • robotmanrobotman Member Posts: 198
    kodikid said:
     It's In the lounge so I'm not really bothered about WiFi as it lives next to the router anyway. 
    I think those clever boffins at BT are making the WiFi only available through the new upcoming router. 
    So far that is the plan. Like you I also don't require the wifi anyway so won't bother me either way.
    "Flash, Flash, I love you, but we only have 14 hours to save the Earth"
  • robotmanrobotman Member Posts: 198
    redchiz said:
    Yes it is. It's the 'new' recently released Youview UI. It is much faster though on the new boxes, I find them very zippy indeed.
    "Flash, Flash, I love you, but we only have 14 hours to save the Earth"
    Cool, this has been a most educative thread. Shame about the topic title for future reference, maybe?  😉
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    robotman said:

... I find them very zippy indeed.
    :o:o:o  How many do you have? 
    OK, I asked the question of a putative seller and the reply came as follows: 
    Hi, it will work on any providers service, it's just the BT Subscription based content that won't work and cannot be subscribed to should you wish to receive it in the future. 

All will be clearer in time of course, but it does look like a splendid piece of kit if you want, or need a PVR. 
    redchiz said:
    Yes identical. 
    edited 8 September 2021, 5:05PM
    redchiz said:
    OK, I asked the question of a putative seller and the reply came as follows: 
    Hi, it will work on any providers service, it's just the BT Subscription based content that won't work and cannot be subscribed to should you wish to receive it in the future. 

All will be clearer in time of course, but it does look like a splendid piece of kit if you want, or need a PVR. 
    Think when this box came out there was a bit of mystique (thanks redchiz) about it due to it only being available on BT'S Rip off sorry Vip packages. 
    In reality it's no different buying a T4000 of 2000 from ebay or amazon. 
    In fact set up took a lot less longer, I literally was up and running within minutes.  
    It really is next level .
    Or mystique even.  😉 Much the way as Sky try to create around their Q boxes.

At the end of the day it's a box with improved innards over its predecessors, that's the way equipment evolves. 
    What I don't understand is why it can't mimic Sky Q and play your recordings around the house using mini boxes. 
    At the moment BT muti room ( £5 subscription)  uses the never really any good prehistoric zapper box.
    It's akin to having a Ford Focus coupled with a Ford Anglia., bizarre.