BT youview box won’t stay on

PbbtPbbt Member Posts: 3
BT youview box model DB-T2200/BT/DF. Had the box approx 18 months, connected via Plusnet broadband for at least 6 months, all working perfectly til today.  Connections all fine.  Nothing wrong with the remote.
When I go to switch the box on, it’s on the red light rather than the usual purple standby light.  I switch it on, it goes through the full waking up and loading procedure.  I start watching TV (tested with live TV and on demand, there’s no recording facility). After approx 1 minute, it goes to standby again (purple light) then to red a few seconds later.  I’ve done the 8 second reset, unplugged from the mains and plugged in again, hidden the remote and only used the on/off button on the box.  I started to do a factory reset but it went to standby part way through that, so now I have no channels and it won’t even stay on long enough to do a channel search.  There is power to it as I get the lights. One thing which may be abnormal - at the Ethernet socket, there’s a solid orange light on the right and a faint orange flickering light on the left. Is this correct? This is with the box upside down looking at the sockets so you can read the writing.
Any suggestions to fix this would be much appreciated. Or is it time for the bin?

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,884 ✭✭✭
    Greetings @Pbbt and welcome to the Community!

I fear it is for the bin, but there is one last thing you can try, to factory reset it, when you can’t keep it switched on.

https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/using-maintenance-mode/

You do this from the Standby state, possibly avoiding the problem of it not loading up. Follow the instructions for the T2200, as all YouView box models are slightly different. 

If you can get into Maintenance Mode (and if you can’t as first try again, as the timing can be slightly tricky) select Option 2, and see if this brings the box back to life. This is the same Factory Reset that you were attempting from the box’s menu system, just by a different route when, as above, the box won’t load up properly.

Do let us know how you get on!
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • PbbtPbbt Member Posts: 3
    Thank you Roy for your prompt and detailed reply.  Despite several attempts, I couldn’t get into Maintenance Mode so I’ve given up and ordered another box.
    Your help was very much appreciated though, thanks again 
  • SarahSarah Administrator Posts: 1,751 admin
    Pbbt said:
    Thank you Roy for your prompt and detailed reply.  Despite several attempts, I couldn’t get into Maintenance Mode so I’ve given up and ordered another box.
    Hi @Pbbt
    If you're not able to get into maintenance mode, are you able to perform a full factory reset via settings instead? 
    Thanks,
    Sarah

• PbbtPbbt Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your question Sarah.  As I said in my original post, I tried to do the factory reset the usual way but the box went into standby then switched off part way through the channel search. The box only stays on for about a minute or two at a time.  I tried again to do the channel search but again, only got part way through before the box shut down.  I’ve given up now and bought a new box.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,884 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 September 2021, 4:08PM
    Pbbt said:
    @Pbbt

Thanks for your reply too; so many people sail off into the sunset, leaving you wondering how they made out 😢

But you have now discovered the saving grace of having only a ‘zapper’ box, as they are called; only a few settings to restore, and no need to worry about lost recordings, whether a Factory Reset works or not, as these boxes don’t have any 😛
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris