YouView missing from 2021 Sony TVs?

RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,943 ✭✭✭
If so, as per:-
https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/a80j-youview-option-missing-after-successful-tuning/m-p/3826263#M56565
Sony have kept that very quiet.

But they have told that customer:-
With reference to your enquiry regarding your Sony XR-55A80J, we would like to highlight that YouView is also not available currently on your TV. Application is expected to be available during 2021."

We knew the 2021 sets don’t have the catchup apps, as more than a few people have complained, but this is the first person who has reported YouView as missing.

I wonder if the two things are related?

@Sarah, care to comment?
‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris

Comments

• kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 725 ✭✭
    Really don't think anyone bought a Sony for its youview capabilities. 
    My pair of Sony KD series bought in 2020 and 2018 are both Freeview play (never actually seen it never mind use it as both are tethered to youview boxes)
    Freeview play is rapidly becoming the default tuner on TV's. 
    Youview now only really exists with BT and even they seem embarrassed by it as its almost impossible to see it mentioned anywhere on its website. 
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,943 ✭✭✭
    @kodikid

Sony likewise now bury YouView under the heading of ‘Live & Catchup TV’, so it seems to be an unword for them as well.

Users of these Sony Android TVs used to be locked in to YouView, like it or not, if they wanted the itv Hub and All4, and were also forced to tune terrestrial TV to get those apps to work.

Various ameliorations were put in place, and in 2020 you could at last pretend that there was no YouView on these sets, but still get all the players, and without a terrestrial aerial.

Which, yes, is how many people wanted to run their sets, and accordingly, the complaints that you couldn’t do it like that have melted away.

To be replaced by a trickle of people who wanted to use YouView  on their Sony TVs - yes @kodikid there are such people - but couldn’t find it; and those, we could help.

Until this year, when there is a raft of complaints about the missing players.

Which seems to affect Samsung as well, but not LG, who have Freeview Play this year.

I have been wondering if the broadcasters are starting to play hardball, and won’t licence their apps to TV manufacturers for 2021, unless they agree to take them in the form of Freeview Play?

But everyone is being very tight-lipped, and not talking about the reasons for the otherwise inexplicable delays here.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,163 ✭✭✭
    Roy said:
    I have been wondering if the broadcasters are starting to play hardball, and won’t licence their apps to TV manufacturers for 2021, unless they agree to take them in the form of Freeview Play?

Yes, thats exactly whats happening.
    Freeview Play made an attempt to make its platform the de facto platform for all smart TVs, indeed they wanted it to be the only one. Only not all manufacturers wanted it and so we have the situation we have now. Hardball indeed.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    @Visionman

Excellent work!

Confirmatory citation?

• VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,163 ✭✭✭
    I knew you were going to say that. Honestly, why do I bother? You dazzle.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
    edited 26 September 2021, 7:42AM
    Visionman said:
    I knew you were going to say that. Honestly, why do I bother? You dazzle.
    @Visionman

Because no matter how much trust I personally may place in your postings, I can’t go round saying it is true, and citing you as the only source, to people who don’t know you from Adam 😢