Will there be new set top boxes for Retail Youview?

JoeJoe Member, Super User Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭
Hi Youview and all,

Could we have clarification on the retail side of Youview?

There's a new box just realised for BT customers, will there be an equivalent available to buy for retail customers in the shops? 

Looks like BT units sold on eBay are the only option for retail customers at the moment. Be nice to have the option of buying a new box from retail with a manufacturer's guarantee, that isn't tied to an ISP. Whats the retail situation for Youview now & going forward?
«1

Comments

  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 725 ✭✭
    edited 1 October 2021, 1:23PM
    Simple answer no.
    There is no retail situation as it simply ceased to exist. 
    Youview Retail died years ago.
    BT only loan you the new pro box ( and the previous Humax boxes) and obviously if they sold them they would lose their usp. 
    All is not lost as the pro box is starting to appear on Ebay and Amazon. 
    I myself purchased 2 of the pro boxes and they work perfectly. 
    You can of course buy freeview play boxes like the app free Humax aura and the aging Manhattan but these in my opinion are really not an good alternative. 
    So to summarise you either buy from a third party or enter into a costly subscription,  with youview that's just the way it is.

    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • JoeJoe Member, Super User Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭
    kodikid said:
    Simple answer no.
    There is no retail situation as it simply ceased to exist. 
    Youview Retail died years ago.
    BT only loan you the new pro box ( and the previous Humax boxes) and obviously if they sold them they would lose their usp. 
    All is not lost as the pro box is starting to appear on Ebay and Amazon. 
    I myself purchased 2 of the pro boxes and they work perfectly. 
    You can of course buy freeview play boxes like the app free Humax aura and the aging Manhattan but these in my opinion are really not an good alternative. 
    So to summarise you either buy from a third party or enter into a costly subscription,  with youview that's just the way it is.

    Thanks Kodikid for your reply. 

    As T2000 owner at this point I’d really appreciate an official statement from Youview as to where retail now stands, and whether it will be supported in future.

    There seems to be a strong sense from a number of users that retail Youview, is no longer supported. Apparently (though I can’t confirm) units are no longer available in the shops according to a number of people. Also the fact that Amazon prime app has failed to appear on the retail boxes points to a decline in this side of the Youview platform. 

    Having said that I’m still getting software updates to my T2000 hardware, which is unique to the retail models. So there is a mixed message here…

    Youview official, what is happening to the retail platform?  If it’s going to continue, and see new hardware it would make business sense to make a statement to restore confidence.  As there has been very little communication in this respect. A lack of a statement at this point will confirm worst fears for retail users. 
    What’s the future for Youview at  retail level? Is Sony still using Youview in some of their TVs? 




  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 491 ✭✭
    @kodikid has given you the current situation, which is also ongoing. There is no retail option any longer for YouView, so if you want a newer box, the grey market known as eBay is the way forward. They will work on any ISP and are not locked, just branded.

    Boxes continue to be updated, whatever their source (ex T1000), and will continue to do so, as long as is viable.

    As to your other questions, these are of a commercial sensitive nature, and I doubt any response will be forthcoming officially.
  • JoeJoe Member, Super User Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 October 2021, 3:11PM
    @kodikid has given you the current situation, which is also ongoing. There is no retail option any longer for YouView, so if you want a newer box, the grey market known as eBay is the way forward. They will work on any ISP and are not locked, just branded.

    Boxes continue to be updated, whatever their source (ex T1000), and will continue to do so, as long as is viable.

    As to your other questions, these are of a commercial sensitive nature, and I doubt any response will be forthcoming officially.
    Thanks! 

     Has Youview actually confirmed there is no longer any boxes being produced for retail? That’s a very strong commercial statement in itself. If that’s where we are, then at least Youview officially should confirm that aspect one way or another.

    As it stands (no disrespect at all!) I’m reliant on forum members for this information. If this is the case it’s a significant change from YouView’s original business model. As a long term (since the very beginning) retail Youview user I’d appreciate an official statement from Youview.

    Going forward, am
    i now dependant on the Ebay market place for future boxes of if I don’t wish to sign up to an isp tv service? Some clarification is needed.
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 491 ✭✭
    Youview made such a statement in 2020 (google is your friend), when they refocused their energies to consumer ISP and away from Direct customers.

    And yes, you are now dependent upon eBay as has been previously stated.
  • JoeJoe Member, Super User Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 October 2021, 3:47PM
    That doesn’t tally with the official message Youview are presenting on their website 

    https://www.youview.com/get-youview/

    This gets more and more confusing 
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 491 ✭✭
    Have you actually tried the "buy direct" link - you'll be lucky to find a box.
  • JoeJoe Member, Super User Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭
    One way or another that information needs to be confirmed officially. 
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 725 ✭✭
    edited 1 October 2021, 4:33PM
    Why?
    It's akin to asking did England win the 2018 World Cup with everyone here telling you no and you replying no disrespect but I want to here that from FIFA.
    We are where we are and official confirmation really won't put youview boxes back in the shop's they left several years ago. 
    Really don't understand the connection between BT developing a new box for subscription only and then returning to long abandoned retail. 
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • JoeJoe Member, Super User Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 October 2021, 4:53PM
    kodikid said:
    Why?
    It's akin to asking did England win the 2018 World Cup with everyone here telling you no and you replying no disrespect but I want to here that from FIFA.
    We are where we are and official confirmation really won't put youview boxes back in the shop's they left several years ago. 
    Really don't understand the connection between BT developing a new box for subscription only and then returning to long abandoned retail. 
    Except this isn’t the World Cup, I’m merely seeking official clarification. For example there’s a possibility that Youview are waiting for a new box to be developed before replenishing retail stock. 

    This is is not an unreasonable thing to ask, surely? 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,943 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 October 2021, 5:05PM
    Joe said:
    One way or another that information needs to be confirmed officially. 
    Here you go:-

    https://support.youview.com/mobile-app/

    And buried in the heart of the much-modified content at this link, named such that you might not even realise the import of what it has to say, is the never-altered death blow to YouView Retail:-

    In order to deliver the most innovative TV experience, we are refocusing development away from ‘direct to consumer’ products and toward delivering best in class TV technology services direct to our customers BT, TalkTalk, Humax and Sony.

    Seemingly inviting Humax to take up the cudgels of selling retail boxes alone, perhaps, but Humax didn’t bite….. 😢
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 491 ✭✭
    Maybe Sony will be providing a new Betamax recorder incorporating a YouView interface. Can anyone confirm?
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,943 ✭✭✭
    Maybe Sony will be providing a new Betamax recorder incorporating a YouView interface. Can anyone confirm?
    @Stevef_fr8ys

    Don't you mean a new Betamax recorder incorporating a ‘Live & Catchup TV’ interface? 
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 491 ✭✭
    Oh yes, sorry, YouView being a non word these days!
  • JoeJoe Member, Super User Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 October 2021, 5:36PM
    Roy said:
    Joe said:
    One way or another that information needs to be confirmed officially. 
    Here you go:-

    https://support.youview.com/mobile-app/

    And buried in the heart of the much-modified content at this link, named such that you might not even realise the import of what it has to say, is the never-altered death blow to YouView Retail:-

    In order to deliver the most innovative TV experience, we are refocusing development away from ‘direct to consumer’ products and toward delivering best in class TV technology services direct to our customers BT, TalkTalk, Humax and Sony.

    Seemingly inviting Humax to take up the cudgels of selling retail boxes alone, perhaps, but Humax didn’t bite….. 😢
    Thanks - I’ve read that It’s all framed around the discontinuation of the mobile app.

    There’s actually confirmation of continued support for retail set top boxes:
     
    “best in class TV technology services direct to our customers BT, TalkTalk, Humax and Sony.”


    Perhaps Humax no longer wish to make retail boxes after being snubbed by BT? But perhaps the new manufacturer for bt (however they are) will take up the mantle? 

    I don’t think we can presume from that statement that retail Youview is dead. 

    Though I agree that the signs are not good - No Amazon app, ISP’s reskinning the interface if you’re subscribed to their internet. No retail boxes available to purchase etc. 

    This is what I mean. The situation really isn’t clear. Are Youview trying to find a new partner for retail boxes? Will it continue?

    Presumably the retail branch exists because of the public broadcaster money and involvement. We know it was scaled down a few years ago, but as far as I know they are still partners. 
  • jimbjimb Member, Super User Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭
    Joe said:
    kodikid said:
    Why?
    It's akin to asking did England win the 2018 World Cup with everyone here telling you no and you replying no disrespect but I want to here that from FIFA.
    We are where we are and official confirmation really won't put youview boxes back in the shop's they left several years ago. 
    Really don't understand the connection between BT developing a new box for subscription only and then returning to long abandoned retail. 
    Except this isn’t the World Cup, I’m merely seeking official clarification. For example there’s a possibility that Youview are waiting for a new box to be developed before replenishing retail stock. 

    This is is not an unreasonable thing to ask, surely? 
    It isn't an unreasonable thing to ask.
    But those who have been members of this forum for a long time are simply confirming the fact that there is never any advance statement of YouView's plans.
    Have a look at this thread:
    https://community.youview.com/youview/discussion/7606556/new-bt-youview-box-with-new-features-and-wifi-onboard-to-give-multi-room-abilm-capabilty-a-and-wifi/p5
    (all six pages of it!)

    Someone else asking the same kind of question as you.
    But there was no official response until the new BT box was actually released.

    However in this case there aren't even any rumours of a new retail box.
    But who knows, we might all be pleasantly surprised.
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,163 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 October 2021, 11:41PM
    @Joe
    YouView retail died some number of years ago without announcement. But what is clear is that you started this thread to get a direct answer from YouView. That sadly, is not going to happen. 
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 725 ✭✭
    edited 2 October 2021, 12:25AM
    It's odd that he thought it would.
    No retail activity for several years with almost everyone accepting that if you don't want a subscription free youview box it's third party sellers or do without. 
    BT bringing out a new box doesn't alter that fact.
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,163 ✭✭✭
    kodikid said:
    It's odd that he thought it would.
    @Joe?

    Oh... no. The question has been asked often with no reply ever being given.


    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,943 ✭✭✭
    Joe said:
    Roy said:
    Joe said:
    One way or another that information needs to be confirmed officially. 
    Here you go:-

    https://support.youview.com/mobile-app/

    And buried in the heart of the much-modified content at this link, named such that you might not even realise the import of what it has to say, is the never-altered death blow to YouView Retail:-

    In order to deliver the most innovative TV experience, we are refocusing development away from ‘direct to consumer’ products and toward delivering best in class TV technology services direct to our customers BT, TalkTalk, Humax and Sony.

    Seemingly inviting Humax to take up the cudgels of selling retail boxes alone, perhaps, but Humax didn’t bite….. 😢
    Thanks - I’ve read that It’s all framed around the discontinuation of the mobile app.

    There’s actually confirmation of continued support for retail set top boxes:
     
    “best in class TV technology services direct to our customers BT, TalkTalk, Humax and Sony.”


    Perhaps Humax no longer wish to make retail boxes after being snubbed by BT? But perhaps the new manufacturer for bt (however they are) will take up the mantle? 

    I don’t think we can presume from that statement that retail Youview is dead. 

    Though I agree that the signs are not good - No Amazon app, ISP’s reskinning the interface if you’re subscribed to their internet. No retail boxes available to purchase etc. 

    This is what I mean. The situation really isn’t clear. Are Youview trying to find a new partner for retail boxes? Will it continue?

    Presumably the retail branch exists because of the public broadcaster money and involvement. We know it was scaled down a few years ago, but as far as I know they are still partners. 
    @Joe

    At this point, I am irresistibly reminded of the Monty Python ‘Dead Parrot’ sketch 😢
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • JoeJoe Member, Super User Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭
    edited 2 October 2021, 9:08AM
    Roy said:
    Joe said:
    Roy said:
    Joe said:
    One way or another that information needs to be confirmed officially. 
    Here you go:-

    https://support.youview.com/mobile-app/

    And buried in the heart of the much-modified content at this link, named such that you might not even realise the import of what it has to say, is the never-altered death blow to YouView Retail:-

    In order to deliver the most innovative TV experience, we are refocusing development away from ‘direct to consumer’ products and toward delivering best in class TV technology services direct to our customers BT, TalkTalk, Humax and Sony.

    Seemingly inviting Humax to take up the cudgels of selling retail boxes alone, perhaps, but Humax didn’t bite….. 😢
    Thanks - I’ve read that It’s all framed around the discontinuation of the mobile app.

    There’s actually confirmation of continued support for retail set top boxes:
     
    “best in class TV technology services direct to our customers BT, TalkTalk, Humax and Sony.”


    Perhaps Humax no longer wish to make retail boxes after being snubbed by BT? But perhaps the new manufacturer for bt (however they are) will take up the mantle? 

    I don’t think we can presume from that statement that retail Youview is dead. 

    Though I agree that the signs are not good - No Amazon app, ISP’s reskinning the interface if you’re subscribed to their internet. No retail boxes available to purchase etc. 

    This is what I mean. The situation really isn’t clear. Are Youview trying to find a new partner for retail boxes? Will it continue?

    Presumably the retail branch exists because of the public broadcaster money and involvement. We know it was scaled down a few years ago, but as far as I know they are still partners. 
    @Joe

    At this point, I am irresistibly reminded of the Monty Python ‘Dead Parrot’ sketch 😢
    That’s as may well be.

    There’s certainly a lot of things pointing in that direction. But going on the only official statement I can’t 100% come to the same conclusion…at least not yet. If retail was finished and they had drawn a line under it, then it would be good communication to say as much for retail customers like myself.

    As an outsider it certainly looks like Humax have for whatever reason lost/given up their contract with BT, which has implications for the retail side. With continued public broadcaster support, and no statement from Youview, then my guess is that they’re looking for a new manufacturer to step into the shoes of Humax. 

    At this point nothing is conclusive, and it’s all guess work. So that’s  probably where I’ll leave it for now, and hope for an official statement one way or the other…Believe it or not there are still some retail customers out here who’d like to know :) 

    Thought perhaps I’d missed something official hence my post here. Thanks all
  • DaveADaveA Member Posts: 8
    It's disappointing that Youview didn't take off as much as Freeview Play has, as Youview was always seen as the natural successor to Freeview.

    I still miss the mobile app, as the BT one is not as good for Youview customers. It may be better for BTTV customers, but unfortunately as I have an exchange only phone line and can't get BT fibre, I can't get BTTV.

    However, I love the Youview interface and to me it has been a more than worthy replacement to Sky Q. I've used a BT T4000 for about 3 years now and have been very happy with it, but wanted the new pro box. I have now purchased one from eBay and am really happy with it. It even connects wirelessly to my Virgin Internet (the only fibre broadband I can get!).

    I agree that it would be nice to be able to buy a retail unit from a high street shop and have the protection that would give you, but as that probably won't happen, the pro box is the next best thing (and you get Amazon prime!), Just need Disney+ and it'll be perfect!

  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,163 ✭✭✭
    @DaveA
    Do you mean true wireless or do you use powerlines?
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • DaveADaveA Member Posts: 8
    edited 2 October 2021, 10:14AM
    Visionman said:
    @DaveA
    Do you mean true wireless or do you use powerlines?
  • DaveADaveA Member Posts: 8
    true wireless! I saw on the BT community that they announced that it would only connect to the BT smarthubs, but I thought I'd give it a go connecting wirelessly to the virgin hub and hey presto, it worked! 

    To be fair it's located right next to my router so I use a cable anyway as the wireless signal from the virgin hub is awful and drops out, but I just wanted to see if it would connect wirelessly!
  • JoeJoe Member, Super User Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭
    DaveA said:
    It's disappointing that Youview didn't take off as much as Freeview Play has, as Youview was always seen as the natural successor to Freeview.
    Yes, as far as I can see its still a better unified platform then the freeview equivalent - Regular updates, better GUI, more ongoing development etc
    DaveA said:
    I agree that it would be nice to be able to buy a retail unit from a high street shop and have the protection that would give you, but as that probably won't happen, the pro box is the next best thing (and you get Amazon prime!), Just need Disney+ and it'll be perfect!

    Yes shop bought with guarantee has more peace of mind then going second hand on Ebay.

    Also for me there's an insecurity about the continued support of the Youview ISP boxes outside of contract. If the retail side has finished and likely the involvement of the public broadcasters, then what is there to stop BT from effectively switching off boxes that are out of contract? I suspect that that feature was present as a stipulation of the public broadcasters involvement. All guess work of course, but that's where we are.
  • Stevef_fr8ysStevef_fr8ys Member, Super User Posts: 491 ✭✭
    By twists and turns, this thread seems to becoming the latest conspiracy theory. 
    Oh wait, there is a shortage of retail boxes. Panic buy now!
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,163 ✭✭✭
    By twists and turns, this thread seems to becoming the latest conspiracy theory. 

    Only by one.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • Jeffuk1Jeffuk1 Member Posts: 52
    Hi, does anyone know whether tthis can be connected to a BT router through a smartplug used on Plusnet?
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 16,943 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 October 2021, 2:50PM
    Jeffuk1 said:
    Hi, does anyone know whether this can be connected to a BT router through a smartplug used on Plusnet?
    @Jeffuk1

    I can’t see any connection between this query and the thread above it, so this would have been better as a new thread, which hopefully @Sarah or @Louise Murdoch can turn it into.

    A few questions, though:-

    What is ‘this’? The tiny TV in your avatar, or something else?
    What is a smartplug? Do you mean a PLA (PowerLine Adapter)?

    But a pair of PLAs can replace any Ethernet cable connecting anything to anything else, pretty much, as long as the mains wiring it is running over has a path between the PLAs.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
Sign In or Register to comment.