Recordings ending too soon - More4

468743450468743450 Member Posts: 12
edited 25 October 2021, 9:24PM in Community
The last four programmes we've recorded on More4 have cut off before they ended. There is no longer a choice for padding recording times. Are they transmitting the end of programme signal to soon or is there some fault? 
Other channels seem to be OK.
DTRT2110 BT Youview retail box

Comments

  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,002 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 October 2021, 8:15AM
    468743450 said:
    The last four programmes we've recorded on More4 have cut off before they ended. There is no longer a choice for padding recording times. Are they transmitting the end of programme signal to soon or is there some fault? 
    Other channels seem to be OK.
    DTRT2110 BT Youview retail box
    @468743450

    Perhaps if you can say which programmes, @Sarah could check with the broadcaster.

    Channel 4 are all over the place after the recent fire at Red Bee Media, but I haven’t heard of this affecting programme timings.

    YouView boxes never have had padding, YouView putting an entirely misplaced trust in Accurate Recording, the proper operation of which isn’t even mandated for Freeview channels 😢

    The workaround is to record the programme after the one you really want, as the Present/Following indicator which marks the premature end of your recording also gives a premature start to the next programme.

    Though if this doesn’t work, there is indeed something else going on.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • AnaglyptaAnaglypta Member, Super User Posts: 856 ✭✭✭
    Since the incident at Red Bee Media I am also experiencing problems with AR on C4. I'm currently series recording:-
    GBBO
    24 Hours in Police Custody
    Taskmaster

    The latest two recordings of GBBO started late! And both 24 Hours... and Taskmaster stopped short last week (I've not yet watched this weeks 24 Hours...)
    The incident at Red Bee has had far reaching consequences for C4, and there are still sound dropouts and quality issues from their temporary backup systems which wont be resolved until C4 have built their new playout system.
    In terms of disaster recovery I suppose we should be grateful that C4 did get back on air fairly quickly, but their backup systems are left wanting!
    John.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." - George S. Patton
  • zulu17zulu17 Member, Super User Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭
    I have been series recording Frasier on C4 HD (typically 3 episodes in sequence from 9am on  Mon thru Fri) and generally there are small issues with the completeness of one or more of the episodes  suggesting that  the signals to enable AR  may be defaulting to schedule time.
  • 468743450468743450 Member Posts: 12
    edited 26 October 2021, 1:28PM
    @Roy
    Thanks. I can't recall them all.
    It isn't always possible to record the programme after because of clashes with recording other channels, and this is a new problem. Besides I usually set the recorder from a search on my tablet. It's a work around for a short term only. 
    Programmes affected that I remember 
    Grand Design C4 13 October 
    Matt Baker : our house in the country : More4 25 October 9pm
    GBBO More4 19th October 8 pm

    I'd not realised the fire had had such an impact. The reports I'd read at the time only mentioned subtitles and sign language. Searching now suggests far wider implications. 
  • alal Member, Super User Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭
    @468743450
    Unfortunately it's not a new problem. It's been going on for years. The Youview box relies on systems that don't work in the real world and you only notice it when things collapse. It's almost as if everyone wants us to use the catchup services instead of linear tv. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,002 ✭✭✭
    Countdown on catchup on All4 finally came back yesterday, Tuesday; it still wasn’t there Monday, and we were just debating having a YouView box in the bedroom so we could watch it up there, but now we hopefully won’t have to.

    The Monday episode came back yesterday also, but we haven’t looked any further back.

    And both had subtitles, so that’s a couple of steps on Channel 4’s road back to full health.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • 468743450468743450 Member Posts: 12
    edited 27 October 2021, 2:00PM
    al said:
    @468743450
    Unfortunately it's not a new problem. It's been going on for years. The Youview box relies on systems that don't work in the real world and you only notice it when things collapse. It's almost as if everyone wants us to use the catchup services instead of linear tv. 
    Of course they would like you to watch on catch up where it is impossible to skip the adverts. 
    Even NOW TV is playing adverts in some programmes and wanting more money to avoid them. Amazon Prime has some series that say free with advertisements.
    The sad thing is that with covid stopping many productions and encouraging us to watch more, there is less available that we have any interest in watching.
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 742 ✭✭
    Au contraire 
    We are actually witnessing a golden age of television. 
    From Succession to Mere of East town there's literally hundreds of brilliant shows to binge on' and all with the ability to watch without a ad in sight.... seek and you shall find.
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,002 ✭✭✭
    kodikid said:
    Au contraire 
    We are actually witnessing a golden age of television. 
    From Succession to Mere of East town there's literally hundreds of brilliant shows to binge on' and all with the ability to watch without a ad in sight.... seek and you shall find.
    I fear the golden age is passing, at least for legitimate content acquisition. 

    What we used to be able to get from three subscription services has now fragmented into seven or eight, with still more to come, thinning out those brilliant shows across more and more services, and forcing those of us without bottomless pockets to choose which ones we are going to miss out on 😢
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • 468743450468743450 Member Posts: 12
    @kodikid glad you enjoy them. Not my taste at all. All those people with troubled backgrounds.

    The golden age is long gone. It left when Sky was able to charge a monthly fee AND also show adverts. It gets further away as the violence and gratuitous sex in shows gets worse, the cult of celebrities grows, star's salaries grew to ridiculous levels... A one hour programme is now 42 minutes due to the adverts. 
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 742 ✭✭
    Nothing to do with cost, when you dine out you don't order the whole menu,  same with streaming,  all on a monthly contract,  so you simply dip in and out whenever you want.
    As for ad's I rarely endure terrestrial commercial stations as I agree the repetitive ad's seem to go on forever. 
    If I do find something of interest I simply record it..problem solved. 
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,002 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 October 2021, 5:30PM
    kodikid said:
    Nothing to do with cost, when you dine out you don't order the whole menu,  same with streaming,  all on a monthly contract,  so you simply dip in and out whenever you want.
    As for ad's I rarely endure terrestrial commercial stations as I agree the repetitive ad's seem to go on forever. 
    If I do find something of interest I simply record it..problem solved. 
    When I dine out, I pay only for the meal I have; I don’t get told that I must sign up month by month at a flat fee for an all-you-can eat buffet, but that this restaurant is a steak house only, and if I want a burger the next night, or a pizza, or a curry, then there are four other restaurants I need to sign up with on a monthly basis as well. And then get told by the curry house that from next month they are going tandoori only, and if I want a balti, there is now a fifth restaurant I will need to sign up to.

    I think your analogy is balti, sorry, faulty.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 742 ✭✭
    edited 29 October 2021, 8:37PM
    Food for thought if I ever try to curry favour. 
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • 468743450468743450 Member Posts: 12
    Roy said:
    kodikid said:
    Nothing to do with cost, when you dine out you don't order the whole menu,  same with streaming,  all on a monthly contract,  so you simply dip in and out whenever you want.
    As for ad's I rarely endure terrestrial commercial stations as I agree the repetitive ad's seem to go on forever. 
    If I do find something of interest I simply record it..problem solved. 
    When I dine out, I pay only for the meal I have; I don’t get told that I must sign up month by month at a flat fee for an all-you-can eat buffet, but that this restaurant is a steak house only, and if I want a burger the next night, or a pizza, or a curry, then there are four other restaurants I need to sign up with on a monthly basis as well. And then get told by the curry house that from next month they are going tandoori only, and if I want a balti, there is now a fifth restaurant I will need to sign up to.

    I think your analogy is balti, sorry, faulty.
    And before the meal, and between courses, you have to have 3 or 4 people sit at your table one after the other and tell you about things they'd like you to buy. 
  • kodikidkodikid Member Posts: 742 ✭✭
    edited 29 October 2021, 10:49PM
    OK so that analogy is half baked, how about a pick and mix in a sweet shop scenario 
    Ignore this if you disagree. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,002 ✭✭✭
    kodikid said:
    OK so that analogy is half baked, how about a pick and mix in a sweet shop scenario 
    @kodikid

    Still no - you would again be pitting a one-time purchase analogy against a subscription model. 

    Maybe something about season tickets?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
Sign In or Register to comment.