YVM104

stephenbstephenb Member Posts: 10
Hello - I’m suddenly getting this YVM104 error with a message saying I am not connected to the internet. However my router is working, and I have restarted it. I have also restarted the youview box and checked the cable connection to the router. What should I check/do next?
Many thanks.

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,002 ✭✭✭
    edited 10 November 2021, 10:42PM
    @stephenb

Greetings and welcome to the Community!

I’m assuming you have worked through the advice here, including the 8-second reset of the YouView box and not just an ordinary power cycle:-
    and also assuming that you don’t have Powerline Adaptors, or that if you do, then you haven’t missed them out of the flight of reboots needed from router to YouView box.

If not, then work through the advice in that link, step by step, without missing anything out.

If you are still getting the problem, though, try a Maintenance Mode Option 2 reset of your YouView box, as described here:-
    https://support.youview.com/youview-box/box-and-remote/using-maintenance-mode/

and if you still have the issue, then get an Ethernet device (a laptop with its WiFi switched off is ideal), plug the Ethernet cable that normally goes into the YouView box into it, and see if browsing or streaming gets interrupted, demonstrating that the internet disruption is occurring before it reaches the laptop.

If so, get onto your ISP for some resolution.

Please do let us know how you get on and what, if anything, fixed it!
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • stephenbstephenb Member Posts: 10
    Thanks. Yes I did an 8 second reset but too but will give that a go again to double check. Ethernet cable is plugged straight into router and has not been changed (I’ve checked plugs still in sockets).
    I will look into maintenance reset too…
    Attempting maintenance reset I get to the question Y/N with Y equals power button. I press that and get the message ‘Boot fail. Invalid Signature!!’
    Using DTR T1000
    stephenb said:
    Attempting maintenance reset I get to the question Y/N with Y equals power button. I press that and get the message ‘Boot fail. Invalid Signature!!’
    Using DTR T1000
    Sorry, @stephenb, but that is terminal 😭

My very first YouView box, in 2012, failed after three weeks with BFIS, as it is known. Richer Sounds instantly gave me a replacement, and the original box went back to Humax for inspection. But even they couldn’t get it back.

After that, a few other users’ boxes failed with the same issue, and this was eventually tracked down to a bug in the YouView software, which was fixed, and I don’t think we have seen a BFIS since 2013.

Absent the unlikely event that you have a YouView box on which the software has never been updated, this might be the first ‘real’ BFIS ever seen (there must have been some reason the message was in the software).

But T1000s don’t age well - the capacitors go out of spec for one thing - and they have been left behind by the later models, as T1000s don’t really have the welly to run the latest YouView software and apps.

So it’s a dead box, and all your recordings lost, I’m afraid 😢 Tinkerers can get the SD recordings off the hard drive, if you have something irreplaceable, but all HD content is lost, as it is encrypted, and the key is unique to the now-dead box.

But you have had maybe nine years out of it, at least seven, I think, and if you get a replacement, you will find it a lot more capable and speedy.

There are no new retail YouView boxes in shops any more, but they are plentiful on eBay, and perhaps Amazon; the YouView T2000, the BT T2xxxs, the BT T4000 with 4K, and the new BT Pro box even. And there are TalkTalk boxes too, and BT ones badged PlusNet.

Avoid any T1xxxs still around, and make sure you get a box that records, not a ‘zapper’ that doesn’t:-
    https://support.youview.com/youview-box/software-updates/latest-software-versions/

Or in this modern age of streaming, you might even want to revisit if you need a YouView box any more. Certainly, we don’t use ours as much as we used to; but we still wouldn’t be without one.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
    Thank you.
    It’s a curious one, as I can still start up the box normally and I have access to my recordings and can continue to record; but of course the box cannot download thumbnail images etc.
    edited 11 November 2021, 4:58PM
    stephenb said:
    Thank you.
    It’s a curious one, as I can still start up the box normally and I have access to my recordings and can continue to record; but of course the box cannot download thumbnail images etc.
    @stephenb

Oh, that is odd; BFIS used to be a thing where once you got it, you couldn’t recover from it, as the box wouldn’t boot up again. But obviously you can recover, at least to get back to where you were.

I think I’ll toss this one over to YouView’s @Stephen, who might have more insight into BFIS as it is today, rather than the terminal diagnosis it used to be 😛
    Also curiously, my laptop anti virus application can see the box on the network.
    stephenb said:
    Also curiously, my laptop anti virus application can see the box on the network.
    @stephenb

Among all your other internet-connected devices, or just the ones on Ethernet cabling, or just the YouView box alone?
    My laptop on Wi-fi to the hub can see active devices connected to the hub via Wi-fi or cable I think…
    Yes to confirm, it can see all devices incl the Humax box.
    And also the router itself believes the box is connected!
    And using settings on the box to get it to connect, it seems to find the router but can’t connect to the internet. All other devices plugged into router or Wi-fi can connect to the internet. A curious one.
    stephenb said:
    And using settings on the box to get it to connect, it seems to find the router but can’t connect to the internet. All other devices plugged into router or Wi-fi can connect to the internet. A curious one.
    @stephenb

I managed to get a T1000 into that state by manually assigning it an IP address different from the automatic value; it could see the router, but it couldn’t get on the internet.

I was probably causing a conflict with DCHP, or messing with NAT, or some other arcane router stuff. And I’ve had laptops linking to the router but not through the router in the past.

Solved, in all cases, by rebooting first the router and second the device.

Have you given that a go, in that order?

But itv have just banged another nail into the T1000’s coffin, making it even less attractive to go on with 😢
    Thanks I’ll try that (I have rebooted both but not necessarily in that order together). The only thing that’s changed is that my anti virus software on iMac and MacBook now scans the network, but not all the time ie those computers are not always on.

Yes the box is old - acquired via BT so I should get them to send me a new one!
    @stephenb

If you still have this box on a BT TV subscription, they should have updated it for you long ago!

And if you can get it replaced with the new Pro YouView box, I daresay you  might notice a few slight differences 😛
  • StephenStephen Member Posts: 758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry, Roy pinged me but it then slipped my mind to reply. I'm afraid all my knowledge of T1000 invalid signature errors has long passed. It's entirely possible that due to some kind of hardware issue the signature on Maintenance Mode can't be verified but on the main software is verifiable and OK, but that, coupled with the internet settings becoming corrupted (by the looks of things) are both signs that something inside the box is quite ill, either the flash memory or something more fundamental.
    But as @Roy said, if you're still with BT TV you should definitely ask for (and receive) a new box, maybe even the Pro box which will be a breath of fresh air compared to the T1000!