Youview

milko1milko1 Member Posts: 2
Hi why can’t I get bbc iPlayer and it hub on my new Sony tv. I went back to complain to Curry’s where I bought the £850 tv and they told me that Sony was a where of the problem and that it will be sorted by the end of October 2021 but we are approaching the end of November and I still can’t receive bbc iPlayer or any of the catch up

Comments

  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,002 ✭✭✭
    edited 23 November 2021, 8:06PM
    @milko1

    I haven’t seen October quoted. When Sony aren’t creating and promulgating videos that show and talk about the Players that can’t possibly be there on their 2021 TVs (play the clip!)
    https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/bravia-xr-oled-tv
    they are promising them by the end of the year, and/or making very odd claims in their Community that the TVs could perfectly well play the Players if only they were there.

    Which only rubs salt into the wounds, as if we ever thought this was a technical issue and not the commercial one it is.

    You have two choices; send the TV back to Curry’s, and get one of a make that has the Players, or get an Amazon Firestick and get the players off that until,Sony come good on their promises. And if they don’t, you don’t need to care too much about the slight inconvenience of losing an HDMI port, and having to switch to the Stick whenever you want catchup.

    I know what I’d do (he says, setting up our third LG this year).
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • milko1milko1 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Roy I went back to Curry’s in time for a full refund but I was a sure the problem would be fixed by the end of October now I’m over my 14day refund 😏. Curry’s did offer me a chrome google stick at half price but I said no because I could stream bbc iPlayer from my phone. I might go back and complain. But thanks for your input. Martin 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,002 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 November 2021, 10:32AM
    milko1 said:
    Thanks Roy I went back to Curry’s in time for a full refund but I was a sure the problem would be fixed by the end of October now I’m over my 14day refund 😏. Curry’s did offer me a chrome google stick at half price but I said no because I could stream bbc iPlayer from my phone. I might go back and complain. But thanks for your input. Martin 
    @milko1

    OK, it’s very simple. You went back to Curry’s within the 14 days, and they told you that the apps would be there by the end of October, so as a reasonable person, you chose to wait.

    So what Curry’s told you was ‘a statement that you relied on’. But this did not happen, so Curry’s must now put you in the position you would have been in if they had not made the mis-statement on which you relied. Which is to say, that if you would have returned the TV if they hadn’t said it, then you can still return it now.

    So go back and play hardball with them; Curry’s know they are on a loser with these playerless Sony TVs and are replacing them right and left for other customers, because they really have no choice.

    It’s also the case that the 14 days is just if you change your mind for any reason; it doesn’t apply to ‘faulty goods’, which these TVs are if they don’t have the promised Players in the promised timescale, where you have six months, a timescale you are well within, in which the onus is on absolutely on Curry’s to put things right.

    Which a half-price stick that only does something the TV has built-in anyway doesn’t exactly count as.

    Tell Curry’s that as their promise hasn’t been met, you would like them to take the set back (as they must in the circumstances) and help you choose a replacement from a manufacturer that does have the Players.

    How did you buy the TV by the way? If on a credit card, or certain debit cards, you can initiate a chargeback through the card company, and have your money returned. Not that you want it to come to that, of course, and keep it under your hat unless curry’s are obdurate, but if this is an option you have, you might want to mention it if Curry’s won’t roll over.

    Also note, by the way, that the staff in the stores don’t always know what your consumer rights are, so if you get nowhere in the store, go to Head Office.

    And if they still won’t change the set, do the chargeback, if that is an option you have.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 November 2021, 12:44PM
    Is it only the Google TV Sonys that don't have the PSB catchup apps?
    Yesterday I bought a Sony Bravia KD32W800PU. I set it up, did a software update, and the apps were there. I don't know if they were there before the update.
    The set is described as a 2021 model with Android TV.
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,002 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 November 2021, 2:59PM
    @jonesh

    There from June, apparently. 

    https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9421271

    And it’s the one 2021 Sony TV certified for iPlayer by the BBC:-


    Does it have YouView, either as YouView or as ‘Live & Catchup TV’ at all?
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 November 2021, 5:05PM
    Thanks @Roy.
    It doesn't have YouView, either as YouView or as ‘Live & Catchup TV’. It's Freeview Play.
    We're pleased with it. I bought it to replace a two year old Samsung that started giving trouble with its HDMI sockets not long after I bought it. The problems became more frequent, and it reached the stage when the only way that I could get a reliable HDMI connection for a while was to unplug the TV and leave it for a few minutes. :persevere:
    I've got quite a few spare HDMI leads that I bought to try to get the thing to connect reliably. :p
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,170 ✭✭✭
    No YouView on Sony TVs... my oh my.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭
    Visionman said:
    No YouView on Sony TVs... my oh my.
    No Youview on one model of Sony badged TV @Visionman;)
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,002 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 November 2021, 4:51PM
    jonesh said:
    Visionman said:
    No YouView on Sony TVs... my oh my.
    No Youview on one model of Sony badged TV @Visionman;)
    No YouView on any 2021 Sony TV, @jonesh 😛

    Even on the one 2021model that actually has the BBC iPlayer.

    Via Freeview Play.

    Some might think all these things are connected.

    And @Visionman says he knows they are, but declines to say how he might have come by this information 😢
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭
    Roy said:
    jonesh said:
    Visionman said:
    No YouView on Sony TVs... my oh my.
    No Youview on one model of Sony badged TV @Visionman;)
    No YouView on any 2021 Sony TV, @jonesh 😛

    Even on the one 2021model that actually has the BBC iPlayer.

    Via Freeview Play.

    Some might think all these things are connected.

    And @Visionman says he knows they are, but declines to say how he might have come by this information 😢
    Excuse my ignorance. :/
    In my post, above, I was reporting on the one Sony branded TV that I have experience of.
    Do no 2021 Sony TVs have Live and Catchup TV or Youview?
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,002 ✭✭✭
    edited 28 November 2021, 9:31AM
    jonesh said:
    Roy said:
    jonesh said:
    Visionman said:
    No YouView on Sony TVs... my oh my.
    No Youview on one model of Sony badged TV @Visionman;)
    No YouView on any 2021 Sony TV, @jonesh 😛

    Even on the one 2021model that actually has the BBC iPlayer.

    Via Freeview Play.

    Some might think all these things are connected.

    And @Visionman says he knows they are, but declines to say how he might have come by this information 😢
    Excuse my ignorance. :/
    In my post, above, I was reporting on the one Sony branded TV that I have experience of.
    Do no 2021 Sony TVs have Live and Catchup TV or Youview?
    @jonesh

    That is correct, according to my understanding. 

    I think that your TV is complete as is, though, and is not intended to have YouView, having Freeview Play instead.

    But certainly, the BT page I linked to above gives only your model of 2021 Sony TV as certified to work with the BBC iPlayer, and the Sony Community is incandescent with people who have just bought 2021 Sony Android (or now GoogleTV) TVs complaining about the missing 4 broadcaster players. 

    And enough have mentioned the missing YouView/Live & Catchup TV to make me think this is missing too, though it isn’t something people get incandescent about.

    Sony have always claimed that the players will arrive before the end of the year, though the window for this is closing month by month. Perhaps Santa Claus will bring them? If not, watch for the Sony Community to explode on New Year’s Day.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • joneshjonesh Member, Super User Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭
    Roy said:
    jonesh said:
    Roy said:
    jonesh said:
    Visionman said:
    No YouView on Sony TVs... my oh my.
    No Youview on one model of Sony badged TV @Visionman;)
    No YouView on any 2021 Sony TV, @jonesh 😛

    Even on the one 2021model that actually has the BBC iPlayer.

    Via Freeview Play.

    Some might think all these things are connected.

    And @Visionman says he knows they are, but declines to say how he might have come by this information 😢
    Excuse my ignorance. :/
    In my post, above, I was reporting on the one Sony branded TV that I have experience of.
    Do no 2021 Sony TVs have Live and Catchup TV or Youview?
    @jonesh

    That is correct, according to my understanding. 

    I think that your TV is complete as is, though, and is not intended to have YouView, having Freeview Play instead.

    But certainly, the BT page I linked to above gives only your model of 2021 Sony TV as certified to work with the BBC iPlayer, and the Sony Community is incandescent with people who have just bought 2021 Sony Android (or now GoogleTV) TVs complaining about the missing 4 broadcaster players. 

    And enough have mentioned the missing YouView/Live & Catchup TV to make me think this is missing too, though it isn’t something people get incandescent about.

    Sony have always claimed that the players will arrive before the end of the year, though the window for this is closing month by month. Perhaps Santa Claus will bring them? If not, watch for the Sony Community to explode on New Year’s Day.
    Ah. So there was a hint of sarcasm in @Visonman's post.
    Surely not. :p
  • VisionmanVisionman Member, Super User Posts: 10,170 ✭✭✭
    @jonesh Not that I was aware of. But its a real bug-bear of mine that companies release new products when they're not ready or fully featured. Sky Glass being one such. Its been getting hammered on internet fora and rightly so.
    I'm now happy with the disagree icon, because its gone.
Sign In or Register to comment.