Youview Account

I am getting rid of my youview Box, do I need to get rid of my details on the box to pass it onto someone else? Bought a smart TV now 

Comments

• John LJohn L Member, Super User Posts: 846 ✭✭
    edited 13 December 2021, 5:21PM
    Smurph26 said:
    I am getting rid of my youview Box, do I need to get rid of my details on the box to pass it onto someone else? Bought a smart TV now 
    Good afternoon @Smurph26, welcome to the forum. YES, very sensible, something you should do with all equipment when it is either given to someone else/sold on/binned.

How do you do it? Do a factory reset via the settings menu. I assume you have the current software? Simply click on cog icon at the top of teh page & drill down to factory reset. This will also delete all your recordings on the hard drive. Job done! Hope this has helped.

You could actually KEEP your Youview box & do what a lot of regular users do, use it as a 2nd/3rd pvr. Does the new Smart Tv also record programmes? It will be able to stream, but you won't be able to record, which does have some disadvanages depending on what you are recording. Even if it does I expect it can only record 1 channel at a time/same channel as you are watching. Might be worth holding on to your pvr. Maybe you haven't thought of this?

The Pvr (inc. Youview's version) is very useful & does more than you think. The Youview menu even allows you to programme your EPG while in an App. Brilliant design, a lot of boxes don't allow you to do this. All you have to do is plug Youview into a HDMI input & switch from Tv tuner to Youview. If you saw my setup, I have inputs for Freeview, Youview & Freesat, all working along side each other so there are no tv clashes. John L
    Can't wait for the day when Youview get rid of the dreaded darkened banner when using fast forward/rewind recordings. 
  • RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,059 ✭✭✭
    edited 14 December 2021, 9:12AM
    Smurph26 said:
    Not a Sony, I hope; the 2021 sets still don’t have the players you would expect.

And I would echo what @John L has said; smart TV and YouView box isn’t an either/or. All my TVs are smart, but I wouldn’t be without my YouView box, especially when Channel 4, for instance, tend to drop the odd programme, usually one I want to watch later, off their catch-up service, and I am very glad I have set a Series Record on the YouView box as backup.

We tend to watch the TV normally, not the YouView box, unless we need to pause and rewind a programme. The way you can do this is to run a second aerial cable, a female to male one, from the YouView box up to the TV, set RF Loopthrough on the YouView box so the aerial signal is passed even in deep standby, and leave the YouView box on standby when you aren’t watching it.

Once you have done that, you can pretend the YouView box isn’t there. Until you want it, that is.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris