Need to download youview software from server for BT vision box.

matthew01matthew01 Member Posts: 6
Hello,
I have been told to contact you by BT Forms as they cannot help me any further. I have a DTR21000 box that is out of contract with BT. the issue is that the hard drive has died, so I have replace the hard drive with a new one and bigger in size. 
The other issue is that the box will not connect to the server to download the software, the box will not enter maintenance mode, I press the down arrow button on the top of the box and the option comes up and I press the power button on top of the box and the main start up screen goes off the screen and the screen stay black. am using cable connection from the box to the back of the router, I have the new BT smart hub 2 router.

Any help to fix these issue would be great.

Thank 

Matthew 

Comments

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭
    @matthew01

Why are you trying to get into Maintenance Mode?

If you replace the hard disc on a YouView box correctly, it will set itself up again from the internal firmware, and going into Maintenance Mode shouldn’t be necessary.

So I presume you are doing this because the box didn’t start up correctly; but if so, then whatever was wrong with the disc swap is still present, and preventing it.

There are two possible problems here; firstly that you have chosen an unsuitable disc as a replacement, or that the disc is suitable, but isn’t formatted (or to be more accurate, unformatted) correctly.

Did you perhaps format it, partition it, or some such, before installing it? If so, you need to undo all that, and try again. The box will format and partition an unformatted drive for itself, but will refuse to work with a wrongly formatted or partitioned one.

The size might be an issue too; how big is the new drive? I think you can go over 1TB, but more than 2TB might be problematic; though I’m not sure here.

What is the make, model, and capacity of the new drive? Someone here may be able to comment, if you provide that information. You need a drive that is intended for video work; though an ordinary drive I would expect just to work badly, rather than not at all, and that only when you were (say) recording two things and watching a third.

A third possibility, I suppose, is that there was something wrong with the box before, which you diagnosed as the hard drive having died, but it wasn’t that at all. However, I think this the least likely option by some way.
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • matthew01matthew01 Member Posts: 6
    Hello Roy,

It is nice to talk with you, First BT forms told me to enter the mode,
    the hard drive is not formatted and the size is 1TB. 
    Could I do a copy of the old hard drive to the new drive ?
    I have installed a 2.5 hard drive for a laptop, should I change the hard drive for a video hard drive ?

Any more help would be great Roy

thanks

• RoyRoy Member, Super User Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭
    matthew01 said:
    Hello Roy,

It is nice to talk with you, First BT forms told me to enter the mode,
    the hard drive is not formatted and the size is 1TB. 
    Could I do a copy of the old hard drive to the new drive ?
    I have installed a 2.5 hard drive for a laptop, should I change the hard drive for a video hard drive ?

Any more help would be great Roy

thanks

@matthew01

I have read the thread on the BT Community. What is this splitter box you talk about? If it’s an Ethernet switch, you are probably all right with it, But if it is anything else, you should ensure there is a direct path from the box to the router. And until you get it working now, you probably should anyway.

And no, you can’t copy the old drive to the new drive, because the box will know it’s not the same as the old drive, and either reject it, or reformat it anyway.

Have you got PowerLine adapters in the Ethernet link to the router? I would be inclined to take the box to near the router and use a single Ethernet cable to connect them, even if you can’t get an aerial cable to the box there.

And if that gets the box into setup, you can move it back to where the aerial is, and carry on from there.

1TB should be OK, and the disc not being one optimised for video shouldn’t matter at this stage of the proceedings.

I’m still wondering if the knackered disc was all that was wrong with the box; and I might have let the repair shop you took it to swap the disc for you, and demonstrate the box working again afterwards, even if only as far as the initial setup stage, if it really was only the disc.

As we have seen with the T1000s, boxes that go out of spec can take the disc out as well 😢
    ‘Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful’ Wm Morris
  • matthew01matthew01 Member Posts: 6
    Hello Roy,
    I am happy to tell you that the issue is now fixed, checked the hard drive and formatted the hard drive and put the hard drive back in the box and it worked.
    Can I pass the following issues onto you as feedback hard to enter Maintenance Mode but when entering Maintenance Mode you have to wait for over 2 to 5 mins to entering Maintenance Mode then Maintenance Mode will appear and then select USB internet recovery mode to download the software click this and the box told me download failed so I click it again and it download the software and its installed and the setup came up.

Thanks for all your help.

Thanks 

Matthew